Accidentally glued engine cap on estes e2x rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one

Reaction score
is there any way to remove it without breaking anything? should i let the entire plastic portion soak overnight or something?

What did you use to glue it? And are you talking about the little engine retainer cap thing that screws on after you put the motor in?

If you used super glue, you could try soaking it in acetone (nail polish remover) to loosen it up.

What did you use to glue it? And are you talking about the little engine retainer cap thing that screws on after you put the motor in?

If you used super glue, you could try soaking it in acetone (nail polish remover) to loosen it up.

yea, that engine cap, and yes super glue, i think ill try that tonight

is there any way to remove it without breaking anything? should i let the entire plastic portion soak overnight or something?

While I don't understand How one can possibly make such a mistake gluing on a motor retainer cap. At what step in the instruction were you told to CA on the retainer cap???

There are "debonders" available for most brand CA's. The down side is the debonder MAY also effect the plastic, weakening it to the point of crumbling. Other then that, Your Screwed!

The only option at that point is to break off the cap and friction fit motors in the model with masking tape. It's what you'll be doing when you lose or burn off the plastic retainer cap anyway.

The CA may become brittle enough after it dries that you can unscrew the cap with a little effort.

-- Roger

Is it a dribble of glue that got it, or a large amount? If it's a dribble, you might be able to use pliers to crush the plastic some and break the joint. If not, there are other methods of retaining a motor if you end up having to remove it completely (methods vary on how much access you have to a centering ring.).

While I don't understand How one can possibly make such a mistake gluing on a motor retainer cap. At what step in the instruction were you told to CA on the retainer cap???
. . . Other then that, Your Screwed! . . .
The only option at that point is to break off the cap and friction fit motors in the model with masking tape. It's what you'll be doing when you lose or burn off the plastic retainer cap anyway.

Really?
You've never made a mistake on a build?
Had some Super Glue run and get away from you?
Set type and misspelled a word?
Under powered a rocket? Forgot to glue on a launch lug?
Forgot wadding? Loaded an engine with the wrong delay?

We've all been there.

Really?
You've never made a mistake on a build?
Had some Super Glue run and get away from you?
Set type and misspelled a word?
Under powered a rocket? Forgot to glue on a launch lug?
Forgot wadding? Loaded an engine with the wrong delay?

We've all been there.

NOPE...

He's perfect, just ask him...

How dare you question the world's foremost rocket authority...

You're just one of the little people like the rest of us...

Learn your place...

Last edited:
Are you referring to the Estes plastic motor retainers?

If so you might be in luck; from my experience “Superglues” don’t stick very well to the particular type of plastic being used.

You might be able to wrap a rolled-up “Handi-Wipe” around the cap, for grip, and rocket it back and forth and break the glue.

Another possibility is to put the entire rocket in the freezer overnight and try the above when it is still very, very cold. The colder the freezer the better.

Keep us posted, based on what you try and the results, there may be other ideas that pop into our collective heads...

I see that you are a brand new member and have already received your very first spanking here on The Big Forum. It's part of the initiation process so don't take it personally. Once you've attained a certain status, you'll be able to heap pantloads of criticism upon other unsuspecting newcomers without fear of any reprisal.

Welcome friend. :wink:

[video=youtube;7hkcZilKChI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hkcZilKChI[/video]

If it's big enough to get a good grip on, just go for it. Twist like it's the end of the world. Then, if that doesn't work, soak in CA debonder, and then twist like it's the end of the world. After that, I think you've just gotta strongman it off and figure out how to friction fit the motors.

At least that's how I'd do it...

Nate

I see that you are a brand new member and have already received your very first spanking here on The Big Forum. It's part of the initiation process so don't take it personally. Once you've attained a certain status, you'll be able to heap pantloads of criticism upon other unsuspecting newcomers without fear of any reprisal.

Welcome friend. :wink:

After your spanking we get Helga the Russian masseuse to come to your house to thoroughly spank you and rub you down. Then she forces you to drink Vodka as you watch her build your rockets, but in this case "Micromeister" will accompany her and you can watch him build rockets too as he gets spanked as well. Then when its all done all you can eat marshmallows and have drink buttermilk.

Last edited:
Back