Full scale AMRAAM Missile Airfest 2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColumbiaNX01

Red blooded white American male
Reaction score
This is a little tease!! I have on order a full scale AMRAAM Missile. I am not gonna divulge the vendor until I have received it in the mail. Lets just say this is gonna fly at Airfest 21 in Argonia Labor Day weekend 2015. The motor is a CTI O3400. My mouth is watering just thinking of this kit!!! This will not be a build thread per say but there will be pictures.

Yea I will try. Generally it is hard to take pics for me, but I will try though. It will be a slow process.

Since it's full scale are you going to do the details like the fin actuators and screws?

IDK. I know the paint scheme and decals will be accurate. With sticker shock closing I may not have an opportunity to put authentic decals on it.

IDK. I know the paint scheme and decals will be accurate. With sticker shock closing I may not have an opportunity to put authentic decals on it.

At full scale it would be simple enough to stencil on all the words like "NO LIFT" or whatever and such.
The AMRAAM Gallery has some good pic's in it, but the one shown on the rack of missiles is an inert trainer, thus the blue bands.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-120)-AMRAAM-Gallery&highlight=AMRAAM+GALLERY

Got the kit today in the mail. Thanks Curtis Turner!!!! I look forward to building and flying this bird.

I would say the rocket is half done. All 8 fins are tacked in place. Only Proline 4500 epoxy is being used.

That is awesome, if I could have that and a full scale Phoenix in my collection I would be pretty happy.

I love ambitious projects, and I am quiet fan of the AMRAAM missile. Wish I was going to Airfest to see this... but I guess I'll wait for the pics and video after Labor Day.

I got the Ebay done. Just have to ground test ejection charges then paint and it will be ready to go!

Looking good Andrew. Paint should be easy, being all one color.

I'm green with envy. :)

I want to make a full-scale AMRAAM myself some day. I worked on the AMRAAM program for a few years. In the hall of our office was a full-scale model. That was before I got back into the hobby and before I had even heard of high-power rocketry. But, it still got me thinking.

-- Roger

Here is the Open Rocket file.

The rocket comes in at 60 pounds with everything except motor. The rocket came in at 1.58 cal of stability without any nose weight. Altitude over 15,000 feet.

Back