The Challenge

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psubrian

Reaction score
I’m a big fan of the “go big or go home” when it comes to rockets. Hard and challenging with a bit of extreme speed is just my style. So when Andrew (aka… Landru ”The 3D printer guy”) tells me he’s finally decided he’s ready to get his Level 3 (Actually level 1, 2, and 3 since he went rouge and lapsed his Level 2 certification) I wanted to know the details. He’s mentioned it for years that he should finally get it and hell we’ve flown enough large motors over the years it should just be a technicality at this point.

Somehow when our minds cross paths we end up with what I call “great” ideas or as some others like to put it “crazy” ideas. I suggested he go big and certify L1, L2, and L3 with the same rocket, something I wanted to do but eventually didn’t. A few minutes later I've we've challenged each other to build the same a rocket to drag race at LDRS three times, in one day, on three different motors while he certifies L1, L2, and L3. Sounds easy….

The details:
The kit: Wildman 4” Interceptor A.A.D. 98
The L1 motor: Loki – I-405 White
The L2 motor: Loki – 54/2800 L-1400 White
The L3 motor: Loki – 76/6000 M-1650 Cocktail
Three back-to-back beautiful drag race flights at LDRS 34 – Priceless

Stay tuned… my rocket has been ordered… Lots to do.

Hope you can keep up Andrew, I don’t want to be left hanging at the pad with an M motor and no one to drag race.

Last edited:
Can you certify L1, L2, and L3 with the same rocket? I may be wrong but I don't think you can. Maybe it's just NAR.

You can do it in TRA.

This should be good.... I'll make sure to get photos of this.

He didn't say NAR or TRA. If TRA, you'll need consent from your TAP. Also, TRA requires demonstrated ability to use redundant electronics prior to the L3 cert, so make sure your L2 flight uses two altimeters, switches, etc.

These guys have been flying DD rockets for many, many years.
Some stuff you would be amazed at.
There won't be any issues.:cool:

Heck...he ain't ready...I'll drag race ya!:dark:

I'll have at least 3 altimeters in it. Gotta show off the new sleds :)

Ive talked to Brian again and am trying to downgrade from an L to a J since we already have the cases and that will make it quicker to find, so we can get on with the big motor!

I'm excited!

He didn't say NAR or TRA. If TRA, you'll need consent from your TAP. Also, TRA requires demonstrated ability to use redundant electronics prior to the L3 cert, so make sure your L2 flight uses two altimeters, switches, etc.

Electronics – Prior to a level 3 certification flight, the flyer shall successfully fly at least one
rocket in the level 2 range using an electronic device as the primary means of recovery
system deployment. Level 3 certification flights shall include at least two completely
separate electronic devices, with independent power sources, wire harnesses, and ignition
devices for the primary and back-up means of recovery system deployment.

Are we going to quote the min safe distances, waiver rules, and anything and everything else these guys already know? As noted, his L2 lapsed. Meaning he already knows all this.

Now back to the thread....

J820's would make a nice L2 flight.

Jim, bring a rocket and a motor we'll find you a pad.

For anyone worried about rushing to an L3 certification or a lack of experience. Please note that as a group I've flown plenty of "L3" class projects with Andrew and we have a significant amount of experience with a wide range of electronics covering a wide range of flights from very complex to pure extreme speed (we staged at near Mach 2 for a two stage once).

Perhaps the most reassuring part of this L3 attempt is that it is a big deviation from some of his more complex rockets. If the rules allowed, he would totally try to make an upscale of his "Medusa" rocket which was I believe 15 x H motors:

That would be a hell of a certification flight!

Kits have arrived, motors ordered. I'm busy at work on documentation!

For the first time ever, I'm not going to cut, drill or glue anything until I've designed everything 100% in CAD first.

Brian & Andrew,

First I'd like to say, thank you very much for choosing Loki Research to ensure 100% successful motor performance of these 6 LDRS flights. That is great news to my ears. You've joined the likes of Steve Eves who chooses Loki Research for high profile flights where failure is not an option. I wish I had more customers who thought the same way. Go big with Loki Research or go home. LOL ;-)

I'll do my best to get a cocktail load certified for the 38/480 case before then and perhaps you can both show that new load off. A lot of that schedule will be is TMT's hands. The hardware and M-1650's are shipping out to you today Brian. Thanks again. :)

I don't think this can be fixed by Scott.
It can, however, be fixed by you Californians.

Too much government, usually, out there.

Later!

--Coop

What exactly is the problem?

The $1,500 yearly licensing fees, the 3 test samples per reload and the licensing fees per motor. I'd need to move a LOT of propellant into Cali in order to cover that kind of expense and I'd use up a lot of time doing it to break even, not to mention I'd need a dealer or two who intended to stock up and honestly push the product line out there.

Scott, what about your idea of having a pick up at Brunos in Gerlach, NV for CA fliers headed to Blackrock?

Gregory, Not to sidetrack this thread, but I've never tried calling Bruno's to see. If I have a customer with a need, then I would make the call and ask. Until then, I'd rather not bug them with what if's and would ya's. Send me an email if we need to discuss things further sometime.

Today the 76/6000 hardware arrived! Its like Christmas in May. Would have had the propellant too, but I missed the FedEx man to give the signature. At least tomorrow someone will be home.

Scott, I must say the polished nozzles are a work of art.
2015-05-04(1).jpg

With the kits that arrived last week and only a couple small parts still in the mail, building is about to commence.

2015-05-04.jpg2015-05-04(3).jpg2015-05-04(2).jpg

Back