X-3 Stiletto

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I had built two Stilettos in the past, one a pusher profile, the other a rocket glider, but they both had some construction/reinforcement requirements that I wasn't 100% happy with, so I went back and made a new version with a wider/thicker fuse, with engine intake details, and with the top view, also moved the servos to the bottom rear of the fuse so that they are hidden, and got rid of the tail reinforcement so that it looks much cleaner. Rail buttons are on the bottom. Length is 47" and wingspan about 21" wingspan is slightly upsized and vertical tail is enlarged as well due to lateral stability needs. Weight ready to fly is 11 oz.

WP_20150423_002.jpg

Maiden went really well today. I had just a tiny bit of roll to trim out over the three flights, and adjusted the glide trim slightly. It is a really nice flyer, and pretty docile for a stiletto. I'm surprised that even nose heavy on glide it still is very pitch sensitive, I had a tendency to over-flare too early but it just settled flat and didn't go into any bad stall, really forgiving.

Frank

I had built two Stilettos in the past, one a pusher profile, the other a rocket glider, but they both had some construction/reinforcement requirements that I wasn't 100% happy with, so I went back and made a new version with a wider/thicker fuse, with engine intake details, and with the top view, also moved the servos to the bottom rear of the fuse so that they are hidden, and got rid of the tail reinforcement so that it looks much cleaner. Rail buttons are on the bottom. Length is 47" and wingspan about 21" wingspan is slightly upsized and vertical tail is enlarged as well due to lateral stability needs. Weight ready to fly is 11 oz.
Wow! I managed to stumble upon the X-3 just today and was going to suggest here that sheet foam boost glider builders like you build one!

Here's the other group of suggestions for aircraft that look promising for sheet foam RC gliders I also found today. Some research may even find exact dimensions:

Subscale NASA research aircraft - RC controlled - 1968

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/multimedia/imagegallery/M2-F2/ECN-2059.html#.VUekdrpVhBe

402121main_ECN-2059_full_full.jpg

Yes, I've seen that photo, and you are right, very similar....I've done a few that are close....X-15 delta and X-24..

WP_000608.jpg

Capture.jpg

Back