Anything I should know before my first launch?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking for all and any tips and suggestions you guys have for my first flight :)
Don't stand underneath it when you launch.
The parachute is not a handkerchief.
Children should not be placed inside payload sections, but cats are between you and your wife.

I don't see how that would help anything. As long as the knot is "in position" when it comes under tension it will tighten up correctly. I doubt it will be able to move after the first launch, if it even can now. The main thing is that the knot wasn't too close to the end of the cord. I might consider some protective tubing around it near the motor mount. Don't glue it to the cord though, most adhesives will weaken it.

Oh, and big heavy eyebolts are usually only used in high power, where more weight is a feature, use a bigger motor. Where I've thoughts eyes are better, I've fabricated them from clothes hangers and paper clips, lighter and maybe stronger than a nonwelded eye due to methods of epoxy or soldering them closed.

When you say dog barf, are you referring to the cellulose recovery wadding another was talking about in this thread?

this stuff:

cellulose.jpg

not this stuff:

zPrIetr.jpg

that would be really cool, not just regular cool

and the best thing is I don't have to clean it up!

As many of you know, I just finished my first mid powered rocket (MDRM) This is new territory for me.

I'm looking for all and any tips and suggestions you guys have for my first flight :)

Don't push the button unless you are willing to lose it.

As a fellow newbie I understand the anticipation of your first launch. I learned a few things from my first attempt at MPR , as I hadn't launched anything other than some (LPR) for my kids 30 years ago.

My first attempt was with a G-force which went pffft. After installing another igniter , it went straight up, attained a several hundred feet, and proceeded to come straight back down. It buried itself into the ground, telescoping the nose cone into the body tube, at which point the ejection charge went off and shredded the rocket. (expensive lawn dart)

Fortunately I had also constructed a Astrobee D Which performed flawlessly for several flights and saved the day.
The lesson learned was to have more than one rocket, extra igniters, and more motors than you think you'll need.

I wish you the best of luck and a successful first launch.

Well, I just pulled on the cord with my own hands as hard as I could, and it didn't budge. But I'm going to look into the eyelets. Also, the closest club to me is about 200 miles away :/ I'm on the central coast in California.

.....you're in California...that opens a whole 'nother can o' worms. THE LAW is *very* involved with rocketry, so much the fines run per incident. There have been reports of police watching the flyer then when they finished they had a HUGE fine.

I can't help any more than that, I'm not a Californian.

.....you're in California...that opens a whole 'nother can o' worms. THE LAW is *very* involved with rocketry, so much the fines run per incident. There have been reports of police watching the flyer then when they finished they had a HUGE fine.

I can't help any more than that, I'm not a Californian.

Heard about that too. Bloody Cali man.
Luckily I know of a few isolated locations. As well as some people who own some farm land in the Central Valley.

Heard about that too. Bloody Cali man.
Luckily I know of a few isolated locations. As well as some people who own some farm land in the Central Valley.

Go for the farmland with written permission. You're in a foreign country, their laws are very different....

Go for the farmland with written permission. You're in a foreign country, their laws are very different....

It may as well be. Cali is the only place I know of that will let you freely carry a saw blade around, but shurikens (ninja stars) are prison time.

It may as well be. Cali is the only place I know of that will let you freely carry a saw blade around, but shurikens (ninja stars) are prison time.

What kinda' Whack-a-doo carries around Ninja Stars???:rofl:
Or a Sawblade for that matter???:confused2:

What kinda' Whack-a-doo carries around Ninja Stars???:rofl:
Or a Sawblade for that matter???:confused2:

None. That I know of. But it's the concept of the thing. Just like how you can carry throwing knives as well. Weird laws that contradict each other.

Not only do people carry ninja stars, but some people try to carry them on to airplanes. A few of them made the TSA's "year in review" list, along with an actual live hand grenade. Someone got stopped at the Sea-Tac checkpoint with a loaded gun a couple of weeks ago. I assume they forgot they were carrying?

Dear Lord, I think I just started a guns thread. And maybe a religion thread. :y:

Back