Anything I should know before my first launch?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overklock

Reaction score
As many of you know, I just finished my first mid powered rocket (MDRM) This is new territory for me.

I'm looking for all and any tips and suggestions you guys have for my first flight :)

Do I still need recovery wadding?

Should I apply epoxy or glue to the shock cord to keep it from ripping? Right now I'm just using knots to secure it to the nose cone and the motor mount.

You guys are awesome and I'm learning a lot!

Hey there, congrats on the first build! You still definitely need something to protect the chute, be it a baffle, wadding, or nomex. I personally really like the nomex. For a 4" rocket, a 12" square would be about perfect. A good knot to the NC will be fine, and I wouldnt recommend using any epoxy there, in case you need to remove it. How did you secure it to the motor mount? A knot to an eyebolt will be fine, and a little epoxy to hold it in place would help.

Nate

If possible, find and attend a club launch close by...

Most, if not all, in attendance will go out of their way to help you...

Continue to read this forum, as there is a deep pool of knowledge here...

Even if we do get off topic and silly at times...

Nice MDRM...

Last edited:

Do I still need recovery wadding?

Most definitely. Nomex fabric is a great, reusable alternative: https://www.asp-rocketry.com/ecommerce/Recovery-Wadding-Heat-Shields.cfm?cat_id=49

Cellulose attic insulation, better known as "dog barf" is another alternative to good old treated toilet paper:

dog barf.jpg

Should I apply epoxy or glue to the shock cord to keep it from ripping? Right now I'm just using knots to secure it to the nose cone and the motor mount.

I don't. A couple of loops through the screw eye and two half hitches work for me.

Hey there Overklock! Welcome.

I just took a look at your build thread - that's a seriously good looking rocket. I'll give a strong second to finding a club and going to one of their organized launches. Where do you live? I'm sure the folks here can recommend the closest club(s).

When you get there be honest about just getting back into things and 'would anyone mind kind of looking over my shoulder to make sure I'm doing it right?' The vast majority of folks in this hobby are really open and helpful and are glad to help The New Guy. Actually... usually the problem is the other way around... getting them to help is easy, getting them to shut up can be the challenge! :wink:

Anyway I hope you have fun and welcome back.

Last edited:
Hey there, congrats on the first build! You still definitely need something to protect the chute, be it a baffle, wadding, or nomex. I personally really like the nomex. For a 4" rocket, a 12" square would be about perfect. A good knot to the NC will be fine, and I wouldnt recommend using any epoxy there, in case you need to remove it. How did you secure it to the motor mount? A knot to an eyebolt will be fine, and a little epoxy to hold it in place would help.

Nate

Hey guys, thanks for the replies! So, the shock cord is not attached to the motor mount via eyebolt. A hole is drilled into the motor mount itself, the shock cord was pulled through, then a knot was tied on the end to keep it from slipping back out. That's why I was curious if I should throw some epoxy on the thing. Just doesn't seem very secure.

I would seriously consider securing that end of the shock cord with a dab or two of epoxy. try not to get epoxy on anything the needs to bend. on the knot is okay.
Rex

Unfortunately, the knot is inaccessible because it is inside the motor mount (per Estes instructions) the closest I could do would be to apply epoxy to hole and shock cord around the hole.

Yeah, I'd also say reinforce the end. As you might've seen, a lot of us modify kits pretty heavily exactly for that reason: sometimes there's a better way than the instructions. I've found that U bolts are my favorite, and eye bolts a close second for harness attachment.

I would seriously consider securing that end of the shock cord with a dab or two of epoxy. try not to get epoxy on anything the needs to bend. on the knot is okay.
Rex

Unfortunately, the knot is inaccessible because it is inside the motor mount (per Estes instructions) the closest I could do would be to apply epoxy to hole and shock cord around the hole.

Yeah, I checked the instructions and that anchor method appears (to me anyway) to be a potential point of failure. I might go ahead glue an eye bolt in there.

Have you used a simulator to predict your first flight yet? I would suggest using one of the F motors for a first flight before going with a G.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1429809807.665372.jpg

So, here's how it's attached. Would it weaken the shock cord to slather some epoxy on the thing right on top of the slit?

I would have to cut the cord to attach an eyebolt, and that slot would leave some bad structural integrity I think.

forgot that you had the mount installed. put some tension on the cord (to keep it straight) then some glue. this way the cord will not be trying bend when the weight of the rocket is on it.
Rex

forgot that you had the mount installed. put some tension on the cord (to keep it straight) then some glue. this way the cord will not be trying bend when the weight of the rocket is on it.
Rex

So, pull cord taught, apply glue to base of motor mount. Gotcha. Any glue type you'd recommend? I'm worried epoxy could make it crack.

I'm looking for all and any tips and suggestions you guys have for my first flight

Murphy applies here: anything you don't bring will end up being necessary for launch. This is one of the reasons launching with a club is recommended, if you don't have it, 2-3 others do.

* launch pad / rod / controller
* engines for each rocket you bring, and more than you expect to fly
* launch book [1]
* altimeter [2]
* wadding
* trash bag (please don't hurt our tenuous relationship with city parks by leaving casings, igniters, wadding, and/or plugs laying around)
* Fix-it tools (super glue, masking tape, x-acto knife)
* table & chair for assembly, staging, fixing, etc
* spare recovery gear
* water / snacks
* sunblock / jacket / portable shade (depending upon the climate)
* a high-energy child that will have fun running down and returning all your flights (optional, but strongly recommended)
* depending upon the number and size of your launches, a bag or box to make them easy to recover and carry back to the line

Some of this stuff will depend on where you are launching, and who you are launching with, but I tend to bring most of it even if I won't need it.

[1] I keep a book (5.5"x8.5" binder) that contains two things:
- An info page for each rocket I've built that records mass, CG, CP, recomended engines, and sim data for each engine
- A log of each flight: engine, time/date, field, altitude (and other flight data if known), and notes about how the flight went
[2] I really like the Jolly Logic products for ease-of-use. I have an Altimiter2 on a short length of kevlar with a snap swivel that I can easily move from rocket to rocket

View attachment 261583

So, here's how it's attached. Would it weaken the shock cord to slather some epoxy on the thing right on top of the slit?

I would have to cut the cord to attach an eyebolt, and that slot would leave some bad structural integrity I think.

Completely up to you. In my opinion, adding glue at this end will have little effect. Yep, my idea would involve cutting the cord, then seal the wound with glue or scrap wood if you prefer. Of course, you built per the instructions and I've come to trust the "Chief Designer" at Estes, who posts here from time to time.

Well, I just pulled on the cord with my own hands as hard as I could, and it didn't budge. But I'm going to look into the eyelets. Also, the closest club to me is about 200 miles away :/ I'm on the central coast in California.

Murphy applies here: anything you don't bring will end up being necessary for launch. This is one of the reasons launching with a club is recommended, if you don't have it, 2-3 others do.

* launch pad / rod / controller
* engines for each rocket you bring, and more than you expect to fly
* launch book [1]
* altimeter [2]
* wadding
* trash bag (please don't hurt our tenuous relationship with city parks by leaving casings, igniters, wadding, and/or plugs laying around)
* Fix-it tools (super glue, masking tape, x-acto knife)
* table & chair for assembly, staging, fixing, etc
* spare recovery gear
* water / snacks
* sunblock / jacket / portable shade (depending upon the climate)
* a high-energy child that will have fun running down and returning all your flights (optional, but strongly recommended)
* depending upon the number and size of your launches, a bag or box to make them easy to recover and carry back to the line

Some of this stuff will depend on where you are launching, and who you are launching with, but I tend to bring most of it even if I won't need it.

- An info page for each rocket I've built that records mass, CG, CP, recomended engines, and sim data for each engine
- A log of each flight: engine, time/date, field, altitude (and other flight data if known), and notes about how the flight went
[2] I really like the Jolly Logic products for ease-of-use. I have an Altimiter2 on a short length of kevlar with a snap swivel that I can easily move from rocket to rocket

This is good info :) Thanks!

to add to the list of things to take to a launch, time. time to, do things right, to enjoy the flight, smell the roses...:).
Rex

One thing typically overlooked, if you're using composite motors, insert the igniter all the way to the top, if BP, same way you're used to.

Good stuff. Do you have any examples of what your log pages look like? Just plain lined paper, or are you like me that loves forms for everything?

Oh, not related to construction technique, but something you might want to remember is to bring a Camera.:)
I love to get Pics' and Videos of my birds in flight.

Congrats on the build. She looks nice and clean.

One thing I ALWAYS bring is the safety code. I have NAR model rocket and HPR safety code as well as TRA safety code. I could almost recite them by heart, but I always like to have it around. And if you launch with a club, ask the RSO and/or LCO for a copy of the club's launch and safety rules. I've seen clubs add extra rules for additional safety and to meet any local ordinance that may apply.

Always check your field size. I've lost too many rockets to wind drift not to check and be sure my motor will bring it back to me.

If I were to recommend, I'd say launch her on an F26FJ first. A good low and slow flight to see how she flies.

Then shove an I200W in her and wave goodbye! 😙 Just joking. Don't use that. But I imagine a G80 or a G64 would be a very good flight.

+1 on the x-acto knife , get a swivel for the fabric chute , quick links, sandpaper and would suggest MORE tape too .

Some of the Aerotech reloads dont have the nozzle hole..they have a bit of flash in them. X-acto is the perfect tool ..one swirl with the pointy end and you will be set . Great for opening motor packages too.

The other thing needed when doing the Aerotech hobbyline reloads is some scotch tape. If there are two grains , you may need to stack them and tape them together.

The fabric chute is great, but if you can find a swivel for it and some quick links it is better to secure it to the shock cord below the nosecone instead of to the nosecone.

Sandpaper is useful if you notice a burr inside the top of the tube where the nose slides in, you can sand it flush again. Also very useful for launch rods to knock the burnt residue off.

The more TAPE is different sizes and types. On the bench I use delicates to NOT pull off primer or paint when masking. In the field besides the scotch tape I use two different size green tapes (body shop tape) as it doesn't burn. I use the 1/4 inch to make motor stops , and the 1/2 inch to tape the motor and stop to the bottom of a Motor Mount Tube without a retainer . Blue painter tape is utilized for fit issues, like taping a shoulder of a loose nose cone or coupler.

Come back after the flight and we will make some suggestions to punt that MDRM higher : composite motors, nomex and kevlar harness, and rail buttons instead of the rod lugs. You could even use the MDRM for a level 1 attempt.

Kenny

One thing that I wish I would have known in my pre-BAR days... The reason why you want to pay attention to the recommended motors.

I didn't realize that by having the parachute deploy at apogee was to prevent damage to the rocket (zippering), or the occasional ballistic return. I wish that this was made clearer, my Trident clone might not have been damaged on its maiden flight that way. I did have one rocket deploy (successfully, thankfully) only a few feet from the ground when I used a very old D11-13? motor on it, a few more degrees away from vertical, and the story would have been a lot less happy.

Nowadays we have OpenRocket and RocSim to help figure out what we should and shouldn't use, but software probably doesn't match the practical experience that the manufacturers put into new kit releases.

Congrats on the build. She looks nice and clean.

One thing I ALWAYS bring is the safety code. I have NAR model rocket and HPR safety code as well as TRA safety code. I could almost recite them by heart, but I always like to have it around. And if you launch with a club, ask the RSO and/or LCO for a copy of the club's launch and safety rules. I've seen clubs add extra rules for additional safety and to meet any local ordinance that may apply.

Always check your field size. I've lost too many rockets to wind drift not to check and be sure my motor will bring it back to me.

If I were to recommend, I'd say launch her on an F26FJ first. A good low and slow flight to see how she flies.

Then shove an I200W in her and wave goodbye! �� Just joking. Don't use that. But I imagine a G80 or a G64 would be a very good flight.

G64 or G80 would be great, but the F26 isn't enough thrust. F50-4 works well though. The F26 is way too slow off the launch rod, but the F50 is just barely enough for a safe low flight.

the closest club to me is about 200 miles away :/ I'm on the central coast in California.

What qualifies as the 'central coast'? 'Central' in California seems to work a lot like 'midwest' for the United States. :p Are you aware of Tripoli Central California? They regularly launch at Helm, just a bit SW of Fresno. It's ~140 miles for me from San Jose, seems to be roughly the same distance from Monterey or SLO. Next launch is 5/15-17, mentioned on this thread. Maybe you already knew that, just figured I'd point it out.

What qualifies as the 'central coast'? 'Central' in California seems to work a lot like 'midwest' for the United States. :p Are you aware of Tripoli Central California? They regularly launch at Helm, just a bit SW of Fresno. It's ~140 miles for me from San Jose, seems to be roughly the same distance from Monterey or SLO. Next launch is 5/15-17, mentioned on this thread. Maybe you already knew that, just figured I'd point it out.

You read minds man? I reside in Monterey. My pops is in Fresno and he loved rockets. Thanks for the info.

View attachment 261583So, here's how it's attached. Would it weaken the shock cord to slather some epoxy on the thing right on top of the slit?

I don't see how that would help anything. As long as the knot is "in position" when it comes under tension it will tighten up correctly. I doubt it will be able to move after the first launch, if it even can now. The main thing is that the knot wasn't too close to the end of the cord. I might consider some protective tubing around it near the motor mount. Don't glue it to the cord though, most adhesives will weaken it.

Oh, and big heavy eyebolts are usually only used in high power, where more weight is a feature, use a bigger motor. Where I've thoughts eyes are better, I've fabricated them from clothes hangers and paper clips, lighter and maybe stronger than a nonwelded eye due to methods of epoxy or soldering them closed.

Last edited:
View attachment 261583

I t would be a good idea to slide a Nomex shock cord protector down to the centering ring. It would not have to be full length even a foot would help. At the very least whether you use a Nomex chute protector or not, is to stretch the cord like in your pic. and add several inches of dog barf, then lay your cord on top of that.
I use just the cord protector and dog barf in my Big Brute no chute protector and never had a problem. On my last flight with it, I had a bonus delay came in ballistic for over 1000 ft. popped the chute no damage what-so-ever. It was a good test on the integrity of the recovery system after many previous flights!

Attachments

• BB shock cord.JPG
    BB shock cord.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 63
Back