80's Estes rocket clones - Maverick and Scorpion

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread. I can sympathize with the labor involved with rebuilding fins. When I rebuilt my brother's Citation Red Max it would have been far easier to just make new ones but then the only original part left would have been the nose cone.

Kinda what I thought as well, the fins being the difference between "Rebuild" and "Clone but too cheap to get a new nose cone". I actually could have saved the old launch lug if I really wanted to, but I didn't really want to.

The paint is done and looks good but sadly I am heading out on a trip today. I would have gotten up early to do the decals but I was already getting up at 2:00am, so another half hour earlier didn't seem very appealing. So hopefully on Wednesday or Thursday I'll be able to finish the rebuild. Really excited to see this being restored to the glory it never truly attained the first time around (though at my age it was still awesome).

All done! Well, mostly done, anyway. I still need to glue on a shock cord and add some gloss clear, but the decals are on. I used Rustoleum gloss white and Krylon Short Cuts Leaf Green. I'll get some better quality pics once I get the clear on.

Maverick finished.jpg

All done! Well, mostly done, anyway. I still need to glue on a shock cord and add some gloss clear, but the decals are on. I used Rustoleum gloss white and Krylon Short Cuts Leaf Green. I'll get some better quality pics once I get the clear on.

3FNC's can be cool... Your Mav is certainly proof of that.

Great restoration. Bringing the old rockets back to life from your childhood and then launching them as a BAR can bring back that loving feeling. Especially when the old 3FNC is real purdy and flies perfectly. Then the upscale bug will hit and the only cure is some bigger motors.

Back