BMS Blue Tube

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I'm working on a very short, fat 6" rocket. It's highly possible that this rocket will make the Mach transition. Will the BMS blue tube withstand Mach? If not, what's my best option for this?

I've looked at epoxied fiberglass thick walled tubes. If I have to go that route, I was looking at other issues. PML is the only 6" I've found other than BMS blue tube.

The Rock and the hard place are playing keep away with me right now…

Your going to have a hard time getting mach from a short 6" rocket. I am sure the BT will work out well for you.

Even if it doesn't, will the BMS blue tube withstand mach?

ARR Blue Tube? Mach one is no problem. Mach two might be fine too.

Heck, I have pushed LOC cardboard past mach one.

I was looking at the Balsa Machining Service blue tube. I don't have the same weight specs for it to accurately use in RockSim though. I also need to know how flexible it is.

I've got a 12'4" long rocket on a 3" airframe I want to build as well. Something easy would be nice on it. Looks like I might be learning to glass wrap tubing.

I am thinking that ARR Blue Tube and BMS Blue Tube are one in the same. If they are not then BMS has a problem with ARR because they have this on the bottom of their page: "Note: The term " Blue Tube", the phrase "What's Your rocket made of?", and the phrase "Ready to Fly, Anytime" are copyrighted trademarks of Always Ready Rocketry."

3" blue toob is strong. I have had a rocket come down on drogue (65ft/sec) onto the desert floor, and bounce. Scratches. I know others who have stories that are the same, or better.
Flexible? You can take a length (48") of 3", put both ends on chairs, and hang a 10lb weight of the center (i know, i just did it for curiosity). The flex was less than an inch. I then stuck a full length coupler inside and tried again. The flex was not even noticeable.

ARR Blue Tube is strong. It is tough. It is definately Mach 1 safe 'straight out of the box'. That means without any finish. Soak it a little with sanding sealer, then add paint and slick finish. You should have no problem with Mach 2.

I'm working on a very short, fat 6" rocket. It's highly possible that this rocket will make the Mach transition. Will the BMS blue tube withstand Mach? If not, what's my best option for this?

I've looked at epoxied fiberglass thick walled tubes. If I have to go that route, I was looking at other issues. PML is the only 6" I've found other than BMS blue tube.

The Rock and the hard place are playing keep away with me right now…

Giant Leap has 6" Magnaframe. This is sort of their version of Blue Tube.
I have two 48" sections that I am using to rebuild my Ultimate Endeavour.

I've got a build in the planning stages. 3" airframe. 12' 4" tall. 3 a/v bays for 3 separation points plus nosecone separation for chute. 54mm MMT.

My L3 cert rocket is a 10 feet long 6" dia. Blue Tube. It flexed just a little during flight- if you don't blink, you may see it in the POV portion of the video:

[video=youtube;zX3ksq6NM9c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX3ksq6NM9c[/video]

Blue Tube is incredibly strong- I don't believe you'll have any worries as far as flexing or holding up under Mach speed. All my rockets are Blue Tube.

Mike Momenee
TRA # 12430 L3

I was looking at the Balsa Machining Service blue tube. I don't have the same weight specs for it to accurately use in RockSim though. I also need to know how flexible it is.

I've got a 12'4" long rocket on a 3" airframe I want to build as well. Something easy would be nice on it. Looks like I might be learning to glass wrap tubing.

Blue Tube sold by BMS is ARR's Blue Tube. Same product. The RockSim data are available here:
https://www.alwaysreadyrocketry.com/Downloads/BTRSData.zip

12' on a 3 inch airframe is possible, but you will need to pay attention to the couplers. If the additional weight isn't an issue in your design goals, you could evaluate the benefits of using full-length couplers, which will effectively double the airframe thickness.

Oh yeah - all my scratch builds are Blue Tube also. Great to work with - very durable.

Back