How Will You Celebrate Earth Day

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. And for the record, I've been "Erf" friendly for so long, I can't remember how many years. Just my way I guess. 'Mudder Erf' serves me well...I should take care of her.

I feel the same way the other 364 days of the year...

Like Mac, I think there are too many holidays...

The Earth is freaking awesome! In a universe that is by definition the biggest, most bad-ass killing machine ever to come into being, the Earth is a sweet island of not horrible death (for the most part, and at least at this one point in a very long history). It (with the addition of some sunlight, thanks Sol) gives us everything we need to sustain ourselves, and even manages to be pretty while doing it. Earth day has become a bit a cliché though, so I'll spend today like I do everyday, trying not to be an outright d*%k to the Earth. After all, there are no lifeboats on this ship for the foreseeable future.

I feel the same way the other 364 days of the year...

Like Mac, I think there are too many holidays...

Earth Day isn't a holiday. It's a day of recognition. Reminding people that we need to take care of our planet.

Now when you mention Valentines day, Mother's day, Fathers Day, Easter, Christmas....yadda yadda yadda...that's when old man Wally Mart kicks it into Hi Gear! Commercialized holidays disgust me to no end! But Earth day is not like that.

Here is a short list for me...

Take a shower long enough to run out of HOT water…

Turn my air conditioning down to 45…

Promptly open all windows…

Turn on every light both in the house and exterior…

Start my truck in the driveway and let it run…

Cut down a tree or two…

Spill some used oil in the sewer drain…

Release some freon into the atmosphere…

Look at ways to further increase my carbon footprint…

Continue to scoff at noted climate experts…

Finally, bow down and beg forgiveness from mother gaia…:cry:

LOL.............I think there is a future for you at BP.......

Perhaps, but for some, erf day is a religious holiday...

I've never heard that, but it doesn't mean it isn't. Bottom line, It's not likely that people demand ERF Day as a day off from work with or without pay, just like, Sound Like A Pirate Day, or national Peanut Butter Day, Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day. They are just days getting nominated for appreciation or recognition.

Perhaps, but for some, erf day is a religious holiday...

I don't think that has to be that far off. If creation is indeed good, and we are to be good stewards of it, then why wouldn't we treat our corner of creation as if we appreciated it, and therefore take care of it.

Last year I was on top of Enchanted Rock in central Texas with my sons. As I looked out over the surrounding landscape I remember thinking that was the single finest church I had ever been in.

The kids were all into it, picking up trash out near the street. Meanwhile, a couple cities to the south put out a mandatory 'do not use the water!' bulletin and canceled school tomorrow because they found diesel fuel in the one of the culinary water springs :(
-Ken

Did you all know...

That the Earth Day co-founder...

Ira Einhorn, killed his girlfriend...

And then, composted her body...

https://washington.cbslocal.com/201...e-for-obamas-trip-to-everglades-on-earth-day/

Burning 9180 gallons of fuel flying Air Force One down to the Everglades to preach to the Climate faithful.

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/42711922...h-day-co-founder-killed-composted-girlfriend/

Ira Einhorn, eco "activist" and co-founder of Earth Day, murdered his girl friend Holly Maddux and composted her body. He's currently serving a life term in prison.

That's all you need to know about "Earth Day".

PS. Please note the links above are to mainstream press sites. Apparently the shine is off the Climate apple.

m15-055_0.jpg

https://www.space.com/29173-celebrate-earth-day-2015-nasa.html

earthrise-apollo-8.jpg

Why we needed Earth Day:

https://www.wunderground.com/earth-day/why-we-needed-earth-day/

Earth Day History:

https://www.wunderground.com/earth-day/earth-day-history/[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]x

Last edited:
Here is a short list for me...

Take a shower long enough to run out of HOT water…

Turn my air conditioning down to 45…

Promptly open all windows…

Turn on every light both in the house and exterior…

Start my truck in the driveway and let it run…

Cut down a tree or two…

Spill some used oil in the sewer drain…

Release some freon into the atmosphere…

Look at ways to further increase my carbon footprint…

Continue to scoff at noted climate experts…

Finally, bow down and beg forgiveness from mother gaia…:cry:

Who the [edited] cares. Earth Day was created for the [edited by mods]. Its [stupid] that we even need a day declared Earth Day.

GOD gave man dominion over the Earth. In reality, every day is Earth day. Last time I checked we live on the 3rd planet from the sun called Earth. Everyday the sun rises and sets. Our little blue planet revolves around the sun in our solar system. We are fortunate to even be on this beautiful planet and enjoying life. Its rhetorical to have an official Earth day because every day is an Earth day. But the idiots who run our country have to have a day to suck up to the [edited] and tree huggers.

You know what I am gonna do, cut down a tree on Earth Day. Take that [edited] tree huggers. But I am gonna build my house with that tree, so the tree is not wasted. Its gonna be the bones of my house and it will survive the test of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
[video=youtube;UvtMNnfW6Iw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvtMNnfW6Iw[/video]

I am a geologist and have 25 years of experience in environmental work, so here's my limited qualification to post...consider this: Noah's Ark will never be found. Why? I believe it was repurposed (reduce, reuse, recycle). The end of that big flood was maybe the second "Earth Day" (first was creation, third is the 4/22 recognition).

Now quit wasting electrons in this post, go pollute the air with rocket smoke, and get the most efficient use of all your N's by cleaning your launch rods/rails.

I'm going to go on the record here as supporting composting as an excellent way of converting all kinds of organic waste to rich nutrients that can be used to replenish soils and support healthy plant growth. Right at home, you can divert certain table scraps and yard waste from the landfills, which are their own limited resource, and convert that potential problem into a valuable resource instead.

Industrial-scale composting can even recycle other kinds of compostible items such as food stained paper, milk cartons, pizza boxes, Kleenex, and other nasty organic waste, and make it into something useful, instead of just burying it the ground and having it be an expensive problem.

One thing composting is not good for is disposing of dead bodies, at least the way Einhorn is said to have tried it. You can't just stuff a body in a suitcase and call it "composted" because it rotted. I think the "composted" part of the story is obviously an attempt at ironic humor by a reporter who does not really have any understanding of what composting is.

If you really want to compost something, you need to get the ratio of carbon to nitrogen right, and you need plenty of oxygen and the right amount of moisture. Stuffing a body in a suitcase is not going to get that.

You ever smelled a rotting corpse? It ain't compost. Corpses smell bad. Compost smells good. It smells like clean, rich, fertile soil. If you want to compost a dead body, the corpse is going to be very nitrogen rich, and it's going to contain a lot of moisture, so you need to mix it with a ton of dry, carbon-rich material, like wood chips or straw to balance it out. And you are going to need to turn the whole mess daily, or even more frequently, to keep the oxygen level high. That's the only way to make sure it doesn't get funky. Stuff that same body in a suitcase, and it'll stink like hell --- not compost!

Of course, even proper composting technique does not make up for murder! I'm a "Master Composter", but that does not give me double-O status --- I don't have a license to kill!

I guess this is what I mean about lazy, stupid attacks on environmental causes, or any cause for that matter. Does it really make any sense to say that a self-proclaimed leader of Earth Day committed murder, therefore Earth Day as honored by billions of people since then is discredited? Especially if none of those billions of people ever even heard of Einhorn. I never heard of him until today. No matter what you think of Earth Day, can you really say what people do to celebrate it is a bad thing? People do something they think is good for the planet, something they think will preserve something of value for future generations --- how is that a bad thing worthy of ridicule?

Like I said before, if you want to ridicule something, bring your A Game. Why just do it half-assed? There's plenty of silly stuff out there that is just super easy pickin's for mockery. Why go with "I beat up da erf" or "he 'composted' his girlfriend"? I'm a "Master Composter" for God's sake! Isn't there a load of material there? Maybe if you learned something about what you are commenting about, you'd learn a smarter way to poke fun at it.

By the way, if anyone attending LUNAR launches at Moffett or Snow Ranch is interested in a free Bio-Stack Composter, let me know via PM, and I will bring you one at a launch. First come, first seved. I have at least one extra one, maybe two. It's good for composting food scraps and yard waste. Not so good for bodies!

Who the Hell cares. Earth Day was created for the damn liberal democrats. Its retarded that we even need a day declared Earth Day.

GOD gave man dominion over the Earth. In reality, every day is Earth day. Last time I checked we live on the 3rd planet from the sun called Earth. Everyday the sun rises and sets. Our little blue planet revolves around the sun in our solar system. We are fortunate to even be on this beautiful planet and enjoying life. Its rhetorical to have an official Earth day because every day is an Earth day. But the idiots who run our country have to have a day to suck up to the damn liberals and tree huggers.

You know what I am gonna do, cut down a tree on Earth Day. Take that Damn tree huggers. But I am gonna build my house with that tree, so the tree is not wasted. Its gonna be the bones of my house and it will survive the test of time.

Whoah! Simmer down, Andrew! Weren't you the one recently complaining about a lack of tact, politeness, and respect on the forum? If you're not careful, people will stop thinking of you as the defender of civility! They might start to see you as just one silly nut who says crazy things, complaining about the crazy things other silly nuts say to you!

Be sure to post pics of the tree you cut down, and especially the house you built from the cut down tree! Be sure to use the "smile" cut, and don't drop the tree on your house. My house is made of wood too! It's a great resource! Yay, wood!

Last edited:
Let he among you who has not murdered his girlfriend, stuffed her in a closet and fled to Europe be first to plant a tree. Amen.

And here he is...

A "model citizen" for da erf...

I hear he's looking for a Bio-Stack Composter...

So he can "get it right" next time...

220px-Ira_Einhorn.png

Last edited:
https://washington.cbslocal.com/201...e-for-obamas-trip-to-everglades-on-earth-day/

Burning 9180 gallons of fuel flying Air Force One down to the Everglades to preach to the Climate faithful.

I think these articles are a waste of time. The current President, and as many as I can remember, get blasted for going places because of:
a) the cost
b) the wasted fuel
c) the inconvenience caused to the people where they visit
d) all of the above and 20 more things

And if they don't go places they get blasted for being elitist jerks who sit in the capitol and have nothing in common with the average Joe. Pick a modern President and one or more of these things is always true.

George Carlin on Earth Day (edited for daytime television):

“We’re so self-important. Everybody’s going to save something now. “Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save those snails.” And the greatest arrogance of all: save the planet. Save the planet, we don’t even know how to take care of ourselves yet. I’m tired of this ****. I’m tired of ******* Earth Day.

The planet has been through a lot worse than us. Been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sun spots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles… hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worldwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages… And we think some plastic bags and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet isn’t going anywhere. WE are!

We’re going away. Pack your ****, folks. We’re going away. And we won’t leave much of a trace, either. Maybe a little Styrofoam… The planet’ll be here and we’ll be long gone. Just another failed mutation. Just another closed-end biological mistake. An evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet’ll shake us off like a bad case of fleas.

The planet will be here for a long, long, LONG time after we’re gone, and it will heal itself, it will cleanse itself, ’cause that’s what it does. It’s a self-correcting system. The air and the water will recover, the earth will be renewed. And if it’s true that plastic is not degradable, well, the planet will simply incorporate plastic into a new paradigm: the earth... plus plastic. The earth doesn’t share our prejudice toward plastic. Plastic came out of the earth. The earth probably sees plastic as just another one of its children. Could be the only reason the earth allowed us to be spawned from it in the first place - it wanted plastic for itself! Didn’t know how to make it. Needed us. Could be the answer to our age-old egocentric philosophical question, “Why are we here?” Plastic, ********!”

George Carlin on Earth Day (edited for daytime television):

“We’re so self-important. Everybody’s going to save something now. “Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save those snails.” And the greatest arrogance of all: save the planet. Save the planet, we don’t even know how to take care of ourselves yet. I’m tired of this ****. I’m tired of ******* Earth Day.

The planet has been through a lot worse than us. Been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sun spots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles… hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worldwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages… And we think some plastic bags and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet isn’t going anywhere. WE are!

We’re going away. Pack your ****, folks. We’re going away. And we won’t leave much of a trace, either. Maybe a little Styrofoam… The planet’ll be here and we’ll be long gone. Just another failed mutation. Just another closed-end biological mistake. An evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet’ll shake us off like a bad case of fleas.

The planet will be here for a long, long, LONG time after we’re gone, and it will heal itself, it will cleanse itself, ’cause that’s what it does. It’s a self-correcting system. The air and the water will recover, the earth will be renewed. And if it’s true that plastic is not degradable, well, the planet will simply incorporate plastic into a new paradigm: the earth... plus plastic. The earth doesn’t share our prejudice toward plastic. Plastic came out of the earth. The earth probably sees plastic as just another one of its children. Could be the only reason the earth allowed us to be spawned from it in the first place - it wanted plastic for itself! Didn’t know how to make it. Needed us. Could be the answer to our age-old egocentric philosophical question, “Why are we here?” Plastic, ********!”

It's funny, like pretty much all Carlin routines. But the nonchalant attitude he's taking only works if you are OK with his idea that humanity is doomed, and the planet is going to shake us off like a bad case of fleas. His point is that we aren't going to kill the planet, or save it either --- we are going to kill or save ourselves.

Back