My First Rocket Build in 12+ Years. MEGA Der Red Max

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excuse my ignorance, but when you guys say aft end, do you mean the bottom end of the rocket? I'm still having a hard time differentiating which side is the exhaust nozzle on those engines. On that Estes engine, would the nozzle be the yellow or black end?

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance, but when you guys say aft end, do you mean the bottom end of the rocket? I'm still having a hard time differentiating which side is the exhaust nozzle on those engines. On that Estes engine, would the nozzle be the yellow or black end?

Aft end = business end = bottom end = the part pointing toward the ground.

forward end = pointy end = top end = the part pointing toward the sky.

The black part is the nozzle, the yellow is the forward closure containing the ejection charge

There are no stupid questions ...

A little late, but here's a loosely-loaded 18mm and 24mm, and the inside view of a 24mm nozzle. A little smaller for your bandwidth pleasure ...

AeroTech_RMS02.jpg

There are no stupid questions ...

A little late, but here's a loosely-loaded 18mm and 24mm, and the inside view of a 24mm nozzle. A little smaller for your bandwidth pleasure ...

AeroTech_RMS02.jpg

You're too good man, thank you! I can now see how it presses up against the motor mount.

I have found that there ARE times when the right 'stupid' question can save the day. knew one fella who just knew that it couldn't be the battery(and thus didn't check it), until I asked him, "did you check the battery" (it was the battery). in this case having a motor in front of you probably would have helped(or a helpful person next to you), sometimes the simplest things are the hardest to understand.:)
Rex

I have found that there ARE times when the right 'stupid' question can save the day. knew one fella who just knew that it couldn't be the battery(and thus didn't check it), until I asked him, "did you check the battery" (it was the battery). in this case having a motor in front of you probably would have helped(or a helpful person next to you), sometimes the simplest things are the hardest to understand.:)
Rex

Yeah, that's my exact point. The full metaphor is "the only stupid questions are those that are never asked". We've all heard the "IT horror stories", but I've worked in IT for more than 20 years, and you'd be amazed how frequently, even with experienced admins, that the problem is very small ...

Yeah, that's my exact point. The full metaphor is "the only stupid questions are those that are never asked". We've all heard the "IT horror stories", but I've worked in IT for more than 20 years, and you'd be amazed how frequently, even with experienced admins, that the problem is very small ...

I'm majoring in Computer Networking. In my sys admin/Active Directory class, it seems difficult at first, but some small problems can be big.

Thanks for the extra photos Yoda!

I've never really "played" with a reloadable motor before. I've got a few samples of expended SU (single use) motors that people have been generous enough to send me (I'm still hoping to score a SU 38mm and 54mm motor (if they're even made), and someone has one laying about).

I'm majoring in Computer Networking. In my sys admin/Active Directory class, it seems difficult at first, but some small problems can be big.

Try talking an illiterate person though troubleshooting their Mac. That was one LOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG call. I managed to do it (and got recognized (favorably) by Apple for doing it).

Try talking an illiterate person though troubleshooting their Mac. That was one LOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG call. I managed to do it (and got recognized (favorably) by Apple for doing it).

When I was a kid, I used to do some small scale computer repair. Trust me, some of these people don't even know how to plug their battery in properly.

I no longer do front-line support, but as the only IT person in my office (we're in California, our home office is in Virginia), some folks find it easier to visit me with "stupid" questions than call the helpdesk ...

So, I made a new coffee mug:
coffee.png

3 wraps of 1/4" wide masking tape on the aft end of an Estes bp motor makes a working thrust ring :).
Rex

This.

My boys both have a low-power version of the Kraken. We left the block out (actually, I'm not sure the kit came with a block) and we wrap tape around the motors to make thrust rings. Their Krakens are dying for some larger 24mm motors...

Nice looking rocket! Man, I want one of these! Der Red Max was my first build, and the Mega Max is on my wish list. It's a little more than I've spent for a kit before (wasn't on the Estes bundle sales), so I'll have to wait a little bit - I have too many kits to build.

Beautiful work. I hope you post a launch video or pictures.

Nice looking rocket! Man, I want one of these! Der Red Max was my first build, and the Mega Max is on my wish list. It's a little more than I've spent for a kit before (wasn't on the Estes bundle sales), so I'll have to wait a little bit - I have too many kits to build.

Beautiful work. I hope you post a launch video or pictures.

Thanks :) I was surprised at how well it came out even. But I've had practice with amateur prop building. Probably helped lol.

Back