Nosecone A/V Bay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I'm currently working up a build that will use an ejection system and cable cutter but requires the a/v bay to be inside the nosecone. I'm trying to figure out how to properly attach the upper bulkhead inside the nosecone. I was wondering what the best option was for this. I have access to very little machining equipment. So it mostly going to be ordered parts and hand work.

I'm currently working up a build that will use an ejection system and cable cutter but requires the a/v bay to be inside the nosecone. I'm trying to figure out how to properly attach the upper bulkhead inside the nosecone. I was wondering what the best option was for this. I have access to very little machining equipment. So it mostly going to be ordered parts and hand work.

See John Coker's nosecone mod video https://www.jcrocket.com/plastic-nose-mods.shtml I use his technique and have Nat from CNC AKA Wingarcher cut my materials. If you measure correctly and shoot Nat some basic 2D drawings he can produce some very professional looking parts that you simply glue into your nosecone. He may even be able to use my drawings as a base to start from if they are close to what you want.

I built a Polecat Aerospace Goblin 5.5 and fabricated a nose cone av-bay for Cable Cutter deployment. Have you seen the size of the Goblin 5.5 fiberglass nose cone? It's humongous. The av-bay sled is 3" WIDE and 8" long and slides through a centering ring I installed in the nose cone a la John Coker's nose cone mods.

The sample holes (3) are in the nose cone itself approximately 1" above the airframe/nose cone joint. Have not yet flown the rocket but the location of the holes was suggested by an experienced rocketeer.

I'll have to look for the exact brand. It's simed out with a 6". Probably have to be PML unless you know of a better and/or cheaper 6" cone.

Last edited:
Back