Fillet question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working on my Bull Puppy and it has G10 fins and a plastic boat tail. How would you lay down the fillets for it. More specific would you mask the fillet so it follows the contours of boat tail on the fin or would you go straight across or am I asking a stupid questions. :confused2: Since the boat tail flows down ward would you position it so it stays level to make the fillet uniform?

I'm working on my Bull Puppy and it has G10 fins and a plastic boat tail. How would you lay down the fillets for it. More specific would you mask the fillet so it follows the contours of boat tail on the fin or would you go straight across or am I asking a stupid questions. :confused2: Since the boat tail flows down ward would you position it so it stays level to make the fillet uniform?

Not a stupid question, I had the same thought when I did my Bull Pup. I followed the contour of the boat tail using the following method and materials.

Materials: (you can use any epoxy, I just prefer this mix for this type of rocket and fillet)
Red Baron 30 min flex cure epoxy, I used this because these fins have a relatively long semi-span and can flex quite a bit
Micro Balloons, I added some micro-balloons to lighten the epoxy and it also makes it easier to sand. The trade off is strength, however I did both internal fillets and 2 part foam so I was not as concerned with the strength but more so the look, finish and aerodynamic qualities.
Masking tape, hobby knife and metal edge ruler or equivalent

Mixing:
I mixed the parts about 3/3/3 based on volume.

Technique:
To mark out the fillets I used my GLR Mariah method, wooden dowel carbon paper, trace the dowel edge along the carbon paper against the body and fin. This leaves a black mark that I then masked off. Once I masked off the area and mixed the epoxy I used a 2-3" wide strip of wax paper (important that it has no creases) to lay down onto of the full length of the fillet and a bit beyond each end. Once the fillet is poured I find the best way to ensure the fillet is all the way down to the masked off area is to push the down down evenly until you can see the fin through the wax paper. On a flat fin this is much easier, on the contoured fin it is harder because it may wrinkle and transfer that wrinkle. if so no sweat you will just have to sand down one size. Once cured remove wax paper and cut away excess following masking.

This should result in a nice smooth, light, relatively flexible fillet that requires less sanding.

I can post some close up pics of my fin and (mock) canard fillets tomorrow so you can see the result to get a better idea if this is what you want to do.

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the fillets on my PML bull Pup:

In this pic you can clearly see the fillet follows the contour of the boat tail. You may also notice that the fillet does not narrow and end at the leading and trailing edges of the fin. Instead I used my dowel to profile the end as I felt it gave it a cleaner look. I know this is not technically as aerodynamic than having the fillet taper but then again this rocket is made from QT which is rated at .85 Mach and I have flown this to .82-83 Mach on an I600. Point being you can have some fun and be creative and I doubt it will have much effect on the performance of the rocket so do what you think looks best.

View attachment 261539

This is looking down the fillet. You can almost see the GLR slimline retainer, I should of snapped a close up for you as it looks nice on the rocket. But you have to have the retainer in hand before you start the build otherwise it's doubtful you will be able to have enough MMT to mount it to.

View attachment 261540

Here is a side/top view of the "mock" canards. If you notice the top of it is tapered from the top rim of the body and follows the angle of leading edge of the canard. Then, again, on the trailing edge of the canard the fillet is extended using the dowel to profile it.

View attachment 261541

A better look at the top of the canard fillets.

View attachment 261542

I am not sure if I sent this one to you as I have posted it before, but if not here is the PML Bull Pup finished and all Stickershocked up. I actually have a second set of Stickershock decals for this and if Mark is not around to cut anymore I would be happy to send them to you for what I have into them, plus shipping. They are superior quality than what comes in the kit and in my opinion make all the difference in the final look. I have the second set as I will likely sand mine down to almost nothing and repaint and re-sticker it after this next season so I can wait.

View attachment 261545

Just found this early pic in my TRF attachment store. It is obviously of the canards after they were epoxied on and just before I poured the fillets. One other thing that I am not sure that I have mentioned is that the QT is very non-porous and smooth, so make sure you really rough it up with some 80 or 100 grit on the areas and a bit beyond where you plan to pour your fillets. Otherwise they may not adhere that well. Don't worry about scratching the tube you can work most of it out with progressively finer sand paper up to 320 then the remaining scratches just disappear when primed. For priming I always use the Dupli-color Mastic filler primer, it hides everything, well almost.

View attachment 261546

Last edited:
Nice fillets. Wish mine looked that good on a consistent basis.

Thanks. I owe them to using good products with good tools, using well known techniques and most importantly lots of sanding, lots of priming followed by spot putty, more priming, more spot putty, etc. until it looks good, then paint. Ability or talent is the least part of it.

Thanks. I owe them to using good products with good tools, using well known techniques and most importantly lots of sanding, lots of priming followed by spot putty, more priming, more spot putty, etc. until it looks good, then paint. Ability or talent is the least part of it.
Perhaps that is so but it's hard to argue with the results.

Guess I want the slick results without all the repetitive stuff between pulling the fillets and applying color. Sadly, I do spend a lot of time on the repetitive stuff, invested in good epoxies and additives, bought Perma-Grit tools to speed up the sanding/carving, use tons of filler-primer, and get "acceptable" results. On the other hand, from 100' away or at 2000' of altitude, they look fine. :^|

My hat is off to you, sir.

I don't always contour my fillets,
but when I do, I don't even try to compete with Mr. Pitfield lol.:lol:
All kidding aside they look great.

i dont drink beer.jpg

I don't always contour my fillets,
but when I do, I don't even try to compete with Mr. Pitfield lol.:lol:
All kidding aside they look great.

Of course when you're standing on the flight line watching your Bull Pup take off on an I600 at Mach .8ish, how good your fillets look is most important.

Slowed version
[video=youtube;mEGoRY1PnlM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEGoRY1PnlM[/video]

Real-time version
[video=youtube;yeUk4KTtz6A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeUk4KTtz6A[/video]

Back