LDRS 35, 2016?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That stinks!!! Anyway have you heard of any big project for Airfest 21 Bob?
It doesn't stink.

Andrew, let me answer your question with a question: Have you ever been to an AIRFest where there WASN"T any big projects?

You're flying an O3400 - that's big in my book. There are others. Bigger ones.

LDRS has morphed into a 4- or 5-day event. Not much different from AIRFest? No "premium priced" banquet, no Board meetings, I guess. At this point, AIRFest is our little secret. More fun, less people. Which, of course, is my personal opinion.

--Lance.

Last edited:
At this point, AIRFest is our little secret. More fun, less people. Which, of course, is my personal opinion.

--Lance.

Yess..er...reee..bob....keep it that way....

Hard to believe, I've been gracing you with my presence for 11yrs. My FAVORITE event of the year!

Hey Bob, what silly, stoopid challenge, you got cooked up for Tim this year. Send him a 700 lb bronze statue of Liberty?

Your Right! I guess what I like about LDRS is the vendors that attend. I remember LDRS XXX in Argoina in 2011. There were tons of vendors. I would say more than a regular Airfest.

Anyway Airfest will be here soon!!!!

Ahhhh, come on Bob. Hope you all reconsider….,,, I always thought the VERY BEST LDRS of all times, was the combined LDRS/AIRFEST over Labor Day a number of years back,,,a bit cooler, but same great field, same great folks, same great everything. I do know if is a ton of work, so I understand. Anyway, will see you all at AIRFEST this year anyway…...

Chuck if he's flying with OROC (Oregon Rocketry), I just heard they go a new waiver of something like 42,460 feet at their Brothers, OR site.
Correct, 42,460' AGL in Brothers.

I guess we will all find out about LDRS this weekend!

It was announced last night that LDRS 35 will be hosted by the Rocketry Organization of California at our Lucerne Valley launch site.

Tentative dates are the week of June 6 to 12, 2016. The actual schedule is still to be determined, but will be during that week.

Information about our club, launch site, and normal waiver are available at: https://www.rocstock.org

Details will be published as they become available.

Hope to see everyone next summer!

David Smith
Amateur Extra, W6DPS
ROC Board Member

It was announced last night that LDRS 35 will be hosted by the Rocketry Organization of California at our Lucerne Valley launch site.

Tentative dates are the week of June 6 to 12, 2016. The actual schedule is still to be determined, but will be during that week.

Information about our club, launch site, and normal waiver are available at: https://www.rocstock.org

David Smith
Amateur Extra, W6DPS
ROC Board Member

This is GREAT! I was hoping it would be in the West so I'd have a chance to go. I'm going to start making plans now!

I turn 50 next year, so I pretty much get to do whatever the heck I want all year long and justify it by saying "You only turn 50 once" --- at least that is what I learned when my wife had her birthday.

It took me about 10 seconds to convince Sharon to attend this event. We couldn't attend ROCstock this month because of other commitments, but that won't be a problem next year. I think both of the rockets we are flying at Airfest this year qualify as "Large, Dangerous rocket ships", Sharon is building a Gizmo XL dual deploy for her L-3 attempt and I'm building an Ultimate Darkstar. Too bad this event is limited to "M" motors, I have an AT N2000 that would do well for this launch.

USAF willing, this will be my first LDRS! I am supposed to move next summer, but I am hoping the timing can allow this.

I looks like it's going to be a long haul. I am planning on flying some really big stuff and need to know the research motor issues as soon as possible. We will have to scale it back if we can't use research motors. I have a complex O and several a complex N and several other N motor flights planned. I plan on getting my M and above flight count up over the next two years. LDRS is the place to do it big! :-o

I'll be hammering some stuff at AirFest this year too!

Whitney Richard
TRA # 9557 L3

David Smith
Amateur Extra, W6DPS
ROC Board Member
Cool - thanks for posting this! The first LDRS that I can drive to since 2013 - never been to one before...maybe next year...
Looks like your waiver is 7K AGL with windows to 19K AGL?

Count me in. Maybe hitch a ride with ThirstyBarbarian, or rent an RV for the week.

Count me in too! I was planning a trip to ROC next year, and LDRS at ROC is even better.

LDRS 35 it has been announced will be in Lucerne, Ca. and run by ROC. They did LDRS 29 with the Discovery crew and despite that did a phenomenal job. They run a good launch. It will be fun. I look forward to it.

David Smith
Amateur Extra, W6DPS
ROC Board Member

Won't work for me...Wife is a school teacher and the last week of school is the week of the 13th...:(

ROC is a great place to hold LDRS. They hosted it in 2010 and did a fantastic job. I will probably attend since it will be on home turf in California. Should be quite an event!

There is now the start of a web page at: https://ldrs35.org

As things develop news will be posted there, and the FAQ updated.

Incidentally, this will be the fourth LDRS hosted by ROC, plus an NSL for NAR. We also host three multi-day launches annually, normally ROCstocks in June and November, and a youth group oriented launch in ROCtober.

David Smith
Tripoli 15803, NAR 78668
Amateur Extra, W6DPS
ROC Board Member

Wonder if the Discovery film crew is going to be there again? I think it screws things up a little, but on the other hand if it's done right, good advertising. Good chance for Bryce to fly his Cert 3 bird again-LOL!

Based on what I've read elsewhere I seriously doubt TRA and Discovery will be teaming up anytime soon.

Tripoli Gerlach started a trend of in the proposal stating if Discovery or other video people are coming they would withdraw from hosting.

M

Based on what I've read elsewhere I seriously doubt TRA and Discovery will be teaming up anytime soon.
Tripoli Gerlach started a trend of in the proposal stating if Discovery or other video people are coming they would withdraw from hosting.

M
Out of curiosity, why is this? Again I've never been to a launch with the Discovery Channel present, but I'd imagine it would be a logistical nightmare.

Discovery slows everything down........There may be other reasons, but I was at LDRS 29 when they were there, and while it was cool trying to vie for time on T.V., it really did bring the launch to a crawl at times waiting for cameras to get set up an stuff and they focused more on the Odd Rocks and ""races"" than anything else.

Out of curiosity, why is this? Again I've never been to a launch with the Discovery Channel present, but I'd imagine it would be a logistical nightmare.

It's been hashed over and over on this forum. Some folks loved the exposure some hated it. I'm leaning toward the later.

As I recall, one of the TRA board members stated elsewhere something along the lines of "This show turned out much different that what was originally pitched to me several years ago."

My theory is it was this divergence from what was originally pitched to the TRA to what actually aired is the main sticking point. Also, when LDRS was to be hosted in Black Rock the organizers there stated explicitly to the TRA board that they would only host LDRS if Discovery wasn't going to be there. This is quite understandable given the extremely remote location and harsh conditions. The last thing event organizers need in a place like that is to worry about keeping the dopes running around with cameras happy. That deal with Tripoli Gerlach is what I theorize as the final nail in the coffin for the TRA/Discovery relationship.

I was at LDRS30 in Argonia, KS and it was interesting to see the cameras there and what went on in reality versus what was televised. Almost everything filmed was contrived or somehow manipulated by producers, directors and the like. Which has led me to believe that 100% of all reality television - isn't. Was it good exposure for the hobby? Sure. Did it portray the truth? Not really. Frankly, if someone were to make a documentary of rocketry I would much rather they would stick to the truth as much as possible rather than generating these idiotic and contrived competitions that people rarely do at HPR events.

It was an eye opening experience for me to say the least. Did it take away from the launch experience for me? Eh...not really. I wasn't really affected by any sort of a slow-down but of course I never went to the way-far-away pads because I never flew anything bigger than a J. I did get to meet Kari Byron which was neat. On the other hand, if I got to do it again I would rather those cameras were not there.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the explanations - and honestly the reasoning doesn't really surprise me. As I think about it, it would seem as though NOTHING on the Discovery Channel is portrayed in a "safe and sane" manor, anyways...

I remember watching LDRS 22 (?) plus some of the more recent events (New York perhaps) on TV and noticed they really focus on the goofy competitions, "odd-rocs," etc.

From my experience at the last LDRS at Lucern: We need some crowd background pictures, pretend the giant coffin odd rocket has just launched and show your excitement at the liftoff ......

Bleh!

Latest posts

Back