LDRS 35, 2016?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlnessW

Reaction score
Any rumors as to where LDRS 35 may be held? Are there any clubs submitting a bid? Never been to one...

And no, while our local club certainly has the launch site/waiver for it, unfortunately we don't have the capacity or manpower to host an event of such proportions ourselves.

Wilson, if you a large site and a decent waiver, you are off to a very good start.
You need to reach out to regional rocketry groups, or lacking enough manpower regionally, extend to clubs in nearby states.
We (URRG) are hosting LDRS 34 this June. We reached out to CATO, as URRG doesn't have the manpower and all the equipment necessary to run an efficient LDRS on our own, and they agreed to co-host the event with us.
Before bidding for LDRS it would be helpful to get experience with large (i.e. statewide) events to develop your plans, address all of the logistics surrounding large volume launches, and work out the bugs..
It's not an impossible task by any means, but it requires the initiative and dedication of a core group of volunteers...
Good luck!
Greg

I have never understood why LDRS proposals are so secretive. If a group want it selling the location to the general membership and having them contact the BoD would go a long way to success.

M
We did LDRS and then Balls 2 months later!

Last edited:
Wilson, if you a large site and a decent waiver, you are off to a very good start.
You need to reach out to regional rocketry groups, or lacking enough manpower regionally, extend to clubs in nearby states.
We (URRG) are hosting LDRS 34 this June. We reached out to CATO, as URRG doesn't have the manpower and all the equipment necessary to run an efficient LDRS on our own, and they agreed to co-host the event with us.
Before bidding for LDRS it would be helpful to get experience with large (i.e. statewide) events to develop your plans, address all of the logistics surrounding large volume launches, and work out the bugs..
It's not an impossible task by any means, but it requires the initiative and dedication of a core group of volunteers...
Good luck!
Greg
Hahahaha...

I have never understood why LDRS proposals are so secretive. If a group want it selling the location to the general membership and having them contact the BoD would go a long way to success.

M
I agree, Mark - don't quite get why it's always such a secret.

M

They want it a secret as not to discourage clubs from bidding, someone hard club X was bidding, so why bother. LDRS is what the hosting club that year makes of it nothing more and nothing less! This Idea you need a huge field and huge waiver with a hotel 10min away is nutter!

Frankly, it is a lot of Fun! We Co-Host because we love our Co-Host and it makes it easier and spreads the fun around! It does help to have a storage unit full of equip which BTW we do! :)

How big of a waiver? I am not sure what the smallest waiver in recent history. 14,000?

We had a good time doing LDRS 32 at Black Rock. Doing an LDRS was on my bucket list.
The prefecture Tripoli Gerlach was formed primarily to do the launch, as Bill states spreading the load makes it better. Some of the launch equipment came from Pittsburgh.
We have discussed doing it again and whenever Tom puts in the proposal we will see what happens.
For some reason there was not a large turnout, lots of members talked about wanting a big recovery area and high waiver (we could have had the 493k if needed, space) but attendance was light.

Whenever you hear talk of LDRS it seems the focus is tied to the "waiver" and yes, places like Black Rock have a humdinger. However doing an event like LDRS requires more than that, it requires recovery area, a chance of good weather and a functional infrastructure if it is to draw more than the most hard core enthusiast. Mark mentioned that LDRS at Black rock, while a performance junkie's dream, was lightly attended. I would postulate that this is because there is little or nothing to support the fliers, scant lodging, no cell coverage, and so on. Not everyone wants to camp on the playa and then spend the rest of their lives vacuuming talc out of their cars. Basically if the site is not up to supporting the more casual hobbyists, then attendance will be lighter than at a place where there is more support.

Having done several large events, I can tell you one thing - the hardest part of doing these events is not the planning or execution, it is listening to people who have done nothing at all other than pay range fees show up and gripe about whatever is under their skin. These are people who wont even sign up for a range duty shift.

We had a good time doing LDRS 32 at Black Rock. Doing an LDRS was on my bucket list.
The prefecture Tripoli Gerlach was formed primarily to do the launch, as Bill states spreading the load makes it better. Some of the launch equipment came from Pittsburgh.
We have discussed doing it again and whenever Tom puts in the proposal we will see what happens.
For some reason there was not a large turnout, lots of members talked about wanting a big recovery area and high waiver (we could have had the 493k if needed, space) but attendance was light.

Desert + mid summer does not appeal to many people. I mainly seen West Coast members on the list. So, travel is an issue too. Varying location is good. Potter was my first and only LDRS. It will be my second as well.

Having done several large events, I can tell you one thing - the hardest part of doing these events is not the planning or execution, it is listening to people who have done nothing at all other than pay range fees show up and gripe about whatever is under their skin. These are people who wont even sign up for a range duty shift.

There is more truth in these two sentences than most people realize.

There is more truth in these two sentences than most people realize.

It does not matter if it is a large or small event. This ticks me off. NSL planning has been a lot of work and I am not even in the leadership of our NAR club. I can not imagine the headaches they go through.

Last year, we had a large list of naysayers in our club. I offered each an opportunity to be prefect. All declined. Being a leader of a club or the nation organizations is a lot of work. Thank you everyone for what you do.

My goodness - I look away for a few days, and now look where this has gone...

Mark - if you guys did LDRS in Black Rock again, I'd definitely attend this time around.

How big of a waiver? I am not sure what the smallest waiver in recent history. 14,000?

Chuck if he's flying with OROC (Oregon Rocketry), I just heard they go a new waiver of something like 42,460 feet at their Brothers, OR site.

Chuck if he's flying with OROC (Oregon Rocketry), I just heard they go a new waiver of something like 42,460 feet at their Brothers, OR site.

Thanks. I was not actually referring to their waiver. Just in general.

Hah! Sadly, I used to be one of those people right up until I started helping my club with running our monthly launches. All of the sudden the whining about the big events or any launch for that matter, went away.

I still whine about things but that's another topic for another thread lol.

Personally, I would rather the bidding process be kept secret. If it wasn't, then there would be an endless stream of (speaking of whining) people pining for the launch that's closer to their house or has a better waiver, blah blah blah. I think the TRA BOD does a pretty good job of spreading around the LDRS locations....We can wait a few more weeks. :grin:

I'm in the Central VA Tripoli prefecture. We were one of the co-hosts for LDRS-28 the first time it was in Potter. With LDRS34 being the third one there, the local clubs have gotten more experience and more efficient at running the event. Guess they don't need our help anymore. :(

I want to weigh in on the LDRS at Black Rock and the low attendance. I agree with H_Rocket about why it was lightly attended. Lack of non-launch site facilities, like hotels, restaurants, etc. go a long way. I also think the location has a lot to do with it. Living in VA, the only LDRS I've been to was in NY. I would love to get to one in Kansas, but I can't see going much further then that. I did stop in at Bong, although I didn't fly anything, we were in Wis. visiting family.

I suspect if you check the flight cards from any LDRS, about 80% - 90% would fit well under a 10,000 ft waiver. Since most flyer are at that level, going through the hardships of getting to Black Rock just isn't worth it to a lot of those fliers. I don't know the demographics of Tripoli membership, but I would suspect a majority are located east of the Mississippi. I realize that clubs have to bid on hosting LDRS, but I think an effort should be made to keep half to 2/3 of the LDRS events east of the Mississippi where most of the membership is. I wouldn't mind seeing an LDRS in the Carolina's, Florida, Ohio, or Indiana, and of course more in Potter. I would love to have my club host one, but we fly on farm field that are not available in the summer.

LDRS 15 & 19 were held at Orangeburg, SC ... and the first 5 LDRS's where held in Medina, OH.

I'm in the Central VA Tripoli prefecture. We were one of the co-hosts for LDRS-28 the first time it was in Potter. With LDRS34 being the third one there, the local clubs have gotten more experience and more efficient at running the event. Guess they don't need our help anymore. :(

I want to weigh in on the LDRS at Black Rock and the low attendance. I agree with H_Rocket about why it was lightly attended. Lack of non-launch site facilities, like hotels, restaurants, etc. go a long way. I also think the location has a lot to do with it. Living in VA, the only LDRS I've been to was in NY. I would love to get to one in Kansas, but I can't see going much further then that. I did stop in at Bong, although I didn't fly anything, we were in Wis. visiting family.

I suspect if you check the flight cards from any LDRS, about 80% - 90% would fit well under a 10,000 ft waiver. Since most flyer are at that level, going through the hardships of getting to Black Rock just isn't worth it to a lot of those fliers. I don't know the demographics of Tripoli membership, but I would suspect a majority are located east of the Mississippi. I realize that clubs have to bid on hosting LDRS, but I think an effort should be made to keep half to 2/3 of the LDRS events east of the Mississippi where most of the membership is. I wouldn't mind seeing an LDRS in the Carolina's, Florida, Ohio, or Indiana, and of course more in Potter. I would love to have my club host one, but we fly on farm field that are not available in the summer.

I don't know the actual demographics of TRA but the are a lot of members in California. A ROC monthly launch can have higher attendance than an LDRS.
Most LDRS's I have been to (been to 25) the vast majority are local/regional members. Most of the non regional are the same people every year.
I do agree most flights are under 10k, even at BALLS this is true. Flyers complain about low waivers and they don't have a rocket that will exceed it. They want to see other flyers rockets go high.
The temps at Black Rock were not bad. The hottest LDRS was at Las Vegas followed by the Kansas launches.
With the last two being "east" I bet 2016 will be "west". Since Bob (GIT OFF MY RANGE!) Brown loves the abuse maybe it will go to KS.

M

Since Bob (GIT OFF MY RANGE!) Brown loves the abuse maybe it will go to KS.

Hey Mark,
I think getting thrown off the range is much like this quote from the Balls Website:

"Being dusted by the launch sponsors truck is considered to be a sign you are accepted into the group."

Don't hold your breath for Kansas, it isn't going to happen.
Bob

Last edited:
Hey Mark,
I think getting thrown off the range is much like this quote for the Balls Website:

"Being dusted by the launch sponsors truck is considered to be a sign you are accepted into the group."

Don't hold your breath for Kansas, it isn't going to happen.
Bob

I have been tossed by the best people.

M

Come on Bob ! Airfest just isn't long enough we need to pester you for a week !

Back