Starting point for single use 18mm APCP motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BB911GT4

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I posted this in the beginner section but it may be better well suited here....

Like the title states, I am interested in building my own 18mm Single use APCP motors. Similar to the AeroTech motors at this page.

https://www.aerotechstore.com/index.p...ex&cPath=2_5_6

Does anyone know of any good literature? Also, does anyone have a blueprint of the Aerotech motors? Or a cross sectional view?

I get the impression the OP is asking about mixing/casting his own motors, not how to assemble a reload. Maybe I'm wrong... :confused:

I get that impression too, since that is exactly what the OP says.:wink:

"I am interested in building my own 18mm Single use APCP motors."

I think he also wants desing info/ drawings:

Also, does anyone have a blueprint of the Aerotech motors? Or a cross sectional view?

Which can, to some extent, be found on Aerotech's site.

Nate

Yeah,
Yes, I am looking to make my own propellants.
I saw the nozzle details on their site. I'm just wondering about the rest of the nozzle casing.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?13110-Rules-and-Guidelines

"6. Research Rocketry (making your own motors, igniters, etc) is a special topic, the specific details of which are not to be discussed except in any area specifically designated for such topics. This includes propellant and igniter compositions, specific product recommendations, and techniques for processing propellant. Posts on the topic of Research Rocketry containing information not widely available in published materials are limited to the access controlled area."

This is a research forum topic, even though you're talking about 18mm motors. Best to post your question there.

Later!

--Coop

You can find everything to make your motors here, even pre-made 14in sticks of propellant. [you must cut to length and drill core yourself] Problem is that doing all this if it's your first rodeo...is extremely hard in 18mm. Just so small to work with. Might think of starting with 29mm. Many more options available.

Any how ALL parts & kits for doing this are found with a bit of searching. Buying a reload able case would make this a far simpler venture for you since all these parts can be bought pre-cut to fit for the cases. They do sell parts for single use also but several times the cost and you better be very accurate in cutting all the tubes and grains.

All chems are listed too... one thing you WILL find however, it's much cheaper to just buy motors and fly. By the time you pay for all the parts, tubes, nozzles, casings chemicals etc. you will have lots of moola tied up.
Of course if your doing all this for learning rather than saving money.....then go for it. But if for learning, then you should know 18mm is not the route to follow.

I am not telling you these things to rain on your parade, but just to arm you with more information. As we all know knowledge can be power.

Link;
https://www.rocketmotorparts.com/29..._Experimental_Motor_Kit/p1577809_9654814.aspx

Motor drawings:

https://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/resources.aspx?id=7

Drawings showing parts needed, nozzle throat & grain sizes.
https://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/resources.aspx?id=6

Last edited:
one thing you WILL find however, it's much cheaper to just buy motors and fly. By the time you pay for all the parts, tubes, nozzles, casings chemicals etc. you will have lots of moola tied up.
Of course if your doing all this for learning rather than saving money.....then go for it. But if for learning, then you should know 18mm is not the route to follow.

In order to understand that statement fully, let's consider the inputs

Raw Materials
Tubes, chemicals, mixing equipment, etc. - one can argue that commercial enterprises have a lower cost structure due to volume buys

R&D
This is the crux of the issue. Do you want to pay someone to do the R&D for you, or is that where your interest is? If that's your interest, then there's no real price here, it's what makes it a hobby venture for you.

Regulatory Costs
Don't think you need any DOT numbers or special shipping boxes...

Labor
Do you want to pay someone to cast your propellant, or is this another interest of yours?

When you buy commercial, you're buying a product that has many different profits baked into it. When you venture into Research, you're producing a product with fewer profits and with the added fun/experience/benefit of making something yourself. I disagree that commercial is the cheaper route, but it certainly has a higher up-front investment vs. an equally distributed outlay of money for commercial motors. I do agree that one shouldn't get into EX for the sole purpose of saving money, but it's a nice byproduct if you go about it smartly and thoughtfully.

You can find everything to make your motors here, even pre-made 14in sticks of propellant. [you must cut to length and drill core yourself] Problem is that doing all this if it's your first rodeo...is extremely hard in 18mm.

Personally, I find using commercial reloads in the 18mm cases quite challenging. Assembling an L motor is easier.

-- Roger

Back