3M VHB tape?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvanc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi troops, can we get a discussion going about this stuff? Apparently it's a wonder tape, able to solve every problem we have including poor posture and bad breath? What rocketry uses have you found for it, and exactly what kind did you use (there's a ton of them)? Thanks.

I just looked into this as well Carl...
I saw a demonstration by 3M the other night..
Super strong, but flexible....
Very cool...
In my opinion,,
if you had to,,
you could get something that's put together with this apart as well..
I've done that with a razor knife before but I'm not certain what the tape was..
I just sliced while it was being pulled apart..
the adhesive won't let go..
You just cut through the foam and after the 2 pieces are apart you remove the rest of the foam and adhesive chemically,,
with a strong solvent...
Very useful stuff....

Teddy

I have this stuff, it really is fantastic. Pricy, mine was $37 for the roll, but it has well paid for itself, literally. I've used it in several prototype projects for client projects when using screw or other means would have been tough, and taken lots more time. I've used it for holding a rubber guard on our brick fireplace to keep the kids from getting hurt. I've used it to hang a sign on a door. The stuff is really neat because as strong as it is, I've found it IS removable by just peeling it off carefully.

I did a short blog post about it a while back: https://nuclearprojects.com/blog/incredibly-strong-and-expensive-vhb-tape/

As a former Sign Man our company use about 10 - 15 different 3m VHB tapes for all kinds of applications.
One of my favorite "Structural" VHB tapes is 468mp 3m .010" double sided carrierless tape. I've used this stuff to permanently fix Brass, Aluminum, Zinc and Stainless steel individual letter and signs up to 48" square on every kind of substrate except raw or painted concrete. It's the stuff the Holds etched bronze and Aluminum braille signs to Outdoor, exposed to the weather Pylon signs and posts.
We use this same VHB product in small size construction and assembly holding fixtures and LED lighting.
There are several other backed double faced foam tapes with VHB adhesive that are used to assemble and hold Trailer bodies together.
All that said: while I've used my favorite 468MP VHB on a few Ground support projects, controllers and other equipment I have yet to find a suitable use for it on any flying model.

Wonderful stuff. Many different variations.

The double sided carrier tape is used in many industries to eliminate fasteners in joining panels together. Used on spacecraft to attach solar cells to panels...

A double sided closed-cell foam tape is used to attached panels and windows, etc. to irregular surfaces. Thicknesses range from 0.015 to 0.090 IIRC. I've used it to attach sight windows to JP-8 tanks to measure the internal fuel level as the tape is fuel proof. Windows can be glass or plastics such as Plexiglas or lexan. This can be die cut or razor knifed to make a cavity between the glass and the backside of the tank that can be filled with fuel if a hole is drilled at the top and bottom of the cavity....

Love the stuff.

Bob

Wonderful stuff. Many different variations.

The double sided carrier tape is used in many industries to eliminate fasteners in joining panels together. Used on spacecraft to attach solar cells to panels...

A double sided closed-cell foam tape is used to attached panels and windows, etc. to irregular surfaces. Thicknesses range from 0.015 to 0.090 IIRC. I've used it to attach sight windows to JP-8 tanks to measure the internal fuel level as the tape is fuel proof. Windows can be glass or plastics such as Plexiglas or lexan. This can be die cut or razor knifed to make a cavity between the glass and the backside of the tank that can be filled with fuel if a hole is drilled at the top and bottom of the cavity....

Love the stuff.

Bob

WHAT..................
Wow,,, I knew the stuff was strong but jeeeezzzzzzz.....lol...

Teddy

Back