Loc Cyclotron: The Twilight Zone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MALBAR 70

More Rockets Than Room
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm hoping to go for my Level1 Cert this coming Saturday at the CMASS launch. For this purpose I built a Loc Cyclotron.
The wraps were made by Mark at Stickershock23.

So,...I submit for your approval,...The Loc Twilight Zone Cyclotron:

April 19, 2015 214.jpg

April 19, 2015 215.jpg

April 19, 2015 213.jpg

April 19, 2015 207.jpg

April 19, 2015 208.jpg

April 19, 2015 209.jpg

April 19, 2015 210.jpg

April 19, 2015 211.jpg

April 19, 2015 216.jpg

Wow! That is really cool. I used to love watching the reruns when I was a kid in the early 80's.

Wow! That is really cool. I used to love watching the reruns when I was a kid in the early 80's.

Totally!!!
Twilight Zone totally blew my mind and stimulated my imagination as a kid!
Even as an adult, I would always ask for the Window/Wing Seat on airplanes, and I'de stare out the window waiting to see the Gremlin.

I must have had a premonition of this thread because just a few days ago "To Serve Man" popped into my thoughts followed by the tagline "It's a cookbook!"

Beautiful artwork on the Cyclotron.

Be careful, though. Tube fin rockets are addicting. They pretty much always go where you point them so aim carefully.

Your model with wraps looks terrific! I remember The Twilight Zone, too, and these episodes. It was a great show with a great introduction. I wrapped my Cyclotron, too. It's a great flyer.

IMG_0704.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0677.jpg
    IMG_0677.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 87
I'm hoping to go for my Level1 Cert this coming Saturday at the CMASS launch. For this purpose I built a Loc Cyclotron.
The wraps were made by Mark at Stickershock23.

So,...I submit for your approval,...The Loc Twilight Zone Cyclotron:

Very cool! I had not heard of this rocket before. It looks great.

In the first picture, it looks like you've aimed the rocket at your neighbor's house across the street. If you were to fire it into their house, you could always tell them, "There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone. And that was where I was trying to fly this rocket. Not into your second story window. My bad."

Good luck on the cert flight!

Thanks for all the complements,hopefully she flies as good as she looks.

For the cert flight I plan on using a small H maybe a H110 or H120.

Very cool! I had not heard of this rocket before. It looks great.

In the first picture, it looks like you've aimed the rocket at your neighbor's house across the street. If you were to fire it into their house, you could always tell them, "There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone. And that was where I was trying to fly this rocket. Not into your second story window. My bad."

Good luck on the cert flight!

Yeah,Thirsty,they would probably believe it they think "the rocket guy across the street" is nuts anyway:lol:

Although the wind was strong today, the Cyclotron flew for a successful Level 1 certification. I ended up using a Cessaroni H90 drilled out to 7sec on the delay.
I had an 808 camera onboard but I fudged the video (it was my first time using it) but got couple of stills.

Thanks to my friend Dominic (ParrytheWind) for the sage advise and the use of his 29mm case. Thank You!!!
Also a huge thanks to Kenn Blade and Bob Harrington for witnessing the flight and signing off on the cert. Thanks!!!

026.jpg

025.jpg

050.jpg

051.jpg

055.jpg

065.jpg

066.jpg

Cyclotron 008.jpg

That does look nice!

I made a mistake of trying to use my Cyclotron for L2. I made the worse mistake of believing the "if it fits, it flies" statement I got from LOC. It was a shred that will be remembered with my head hung low for a long time.

Congrats on the L1

Mike,
Congratulations on the L1. I was happy to be small part of it at the end.
With the pent up demand over the winter, we had a few L1 certs and at least one L2.

The wraps look great but I'm still wondering about the Leave It to Beaver fin.
Too bad the video didn't come out; I hope someone got some aerial footage on another flight.

Just about everyone was helped by the wind blowing along the long axis of the field. It looks like you missed "Lake Woodsom" by just a second or two.

Congrats on the L1.. !

I only see one problem. .you showed ao much style and got 'er done ..expectations will be high for your next birds and L2 attempt.

Kenny

This is GREAT! HA! Love it! Congratulations!

Later!

--Coop

It was a nice flight Mike. The Cyclotron was a perfect rocket for the windy conditions we had yesterday. A nice ascent and recovery with a not too long walk.

Bob

Seeing this rocket in person was incredible. The pictures only bring you half there. Witnessing Bill Spad say "Why's the Beaver on there?" was timeless. We played it safe w/ a baby H, but considering the wind, and the luck of missing the water by 6ft, a job well done. Your motor retention was well thought out. Thanks for including me.

Last edited:
I've flown my similar sized tube fins on I-161W with no problems so if the spirit moves you...Go BIG!

Congrats on the L1.

Thanks everybody, I appreciate the congratulations and complements.

JAL3 , I've seen the video, brutal shred:y: I'll be careful.

KennB, that's why The Beaver is there, to make you wonder. I really just wanted to see if anyone would notice. Besides everyone loves the Beaver:D

ParrytheWind, Your help and patience are what made the flight a success.Thanks

o1d_dude ,that's good to know, I plan on letting her stretch her legs (tubes?) at LDRS this summer.

Back