Some Recent Builds

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MALBAR 70

More Rockets Than Room
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
These are just some of the models I've finished up recently.

1) Sirius, Demios 2) Quest, Gamma Ray 3)Fliskits, Frick n Frack 4)Estes, Hornet 5)First scratch steampunk attempt 6)Fliskits,Freedom Forge Missile 7) Fliskits, Tartar

April 19, 2015 195.jpg

April 19, 2015 194.jpg

April 19, 2015 181.jpg

April 19, 2015 183.jpg

April 19, 2015 186.jpg

April 19, 2015 191.jpg

April 19, 2015 193.jpg

April 19, 2015 196.jpg

April 19, 2015 203.jpg

April 19, 2015 205.jpg

The "steampunk" scratch rocket looks pretty cool. All of them look pretty sharp.

Always fun to break out a bunch of winter builds while they're all clean and shiny. After they've been flown a few times they pick up dents and dings and exhaust smoke. Adds character but the brand new shiny showroom look is always cool.

Very nice. I like them all. Time for some smoke in the tubes.

Nice work!
I especially like the treatment on the Frick N' Frack.

Thanks for the complements. This is just a small sample of the winter builds, there is a bunch more I haven't photographed yet.

The steampunk is a amalgam of parts left over from the Estes Builders Special I got for my birthday in 1982, an extra set of Baby Bertha fins and rejected part from my (unfinished) Fliskits Decim8 build.

Very nice!
I like the nose cone on the Tartar. What Diameter is that kit???
Nevermind, found it. 1.6". Sweet!

Last edited:
I like the way you buried the launch lug on the Steam Punk...

They are all nice looking rockets...

The Deimos looks really neat....I have often considered it but I think its a bit too complex for me to pull off as well as yours. I need better finishing skills - yours looks really nice.

The Gamma Ray and Hornet are just beautiful. That Hornet nose cone is so shiny and smooth!

That Satellite Killer is awesome! I hope Semroc 3.0 gets that one kitted up soon. That, and the Taurus.

Took one of my boys up to the local HS football/soccer field. Managed to get some okay pics.

1) Gregory's Quest EZ Payloader 2)Dr Zooch Sat V 3) Fliskits D Nelson Tomahawk 4) Fliskits Tartar- with 808cam gt a semi-decent video but I need to learn editing,the camera didn't turn off after the flight, so I got 15 min of grass after a 8 second flight:facepalm:

010.JPG

012.JPG

029.JPG

025.JPG

030.JPG

016.JPG

015.jpg

050.JPG

055.JPG

058.JPG

The Deimos looks really neat....I have often considered it but I think its a bit too complex for me to pull off as well as yours. I need better finishing skills - yours looks really nice.

The Satellite Killer turned out real nice Mike.

Beautiful rockets my friend !! You definitely have an eye for detail and the skills to match.---H

Thanks for all the kind words, it means a lot to me, as I feel I'm an average modeler at best. Most of my techniques I learned here on good old TRF so all of you had a hand in these rockets too,one way or another.

The folks at Sirius make wonderful kits. The Deimos was a great build, I had a lot of fun with it. It really wasn't that difficult, the only tricky part being the paper shrouds for the boat tail and nozzle.

I had the original Centuri Satellite Killer when I was a kid but i never flew it,it hung from my bedroom ceiling for years then got thrown away:shock:
When Semroc announced that they were reproducing the Satellite Killer and the Red Eye I had to have them (you know how it is). Building the Satellite Killer, I wanted to do a better job than when I was 12, so I took my time and it came out quite nice. I need to get a picture with the dish on, it looks cooler that way:p

I'll try to post pictures of anything new,as well as flight pics to this thread........ Coming Soon..... Estes Vagabond...

Some of these are new and a few have a couple of flights on them.

1)Estes, Vagabond ( I got to use my new favorite orange on the fin can, it's Rusto "Lobster Red") 2) Fliskits, Long Over Due 3) Custom, Matra (one flight)

4) Estes, Phoenix Bird (several flights) 5) Estes Long Tom (one or two flights)

Rocket Fleet Pics 009.jpg

Rocket Fleet Pics 012.jpg

Rocket Fleet Pics 010.jpg

Rocket Fleet Pics 008.jpg

Rocket Fleet Pics 005.jpg

Rocket Fleet Pics 001.jpg

Rocket Fleet Pics 002.jpg

Rocket Fleet Pics 013.jpg

Rocket Fleet Pics 016.jpg

I would be proud to have anyone of those birds in my fleet.
Nice work!!!
A+ on the "Scratcher"

Some of these are new and a few have a couple of flights on them.

1)Estes, Vagabond ( I got to use my new favorite orange on the fin can, it's Rusto "Lobster Red") 2) Fliskits, Long Over Due 3) Custom, Matra (one flight)

4) Estes, Phoenix Bird (several flights) 5) Estes Long Tom (one or two flights)

Nice looking work you've got there!

Is it my imagination, or does that Matra look like a Maxi Icaus with a different nosecone/payload section/paint and decals?

Wow! These are all great!

The Lobster Red looks like a nice red-orange. I'm going to keep my eye out for that. I'm not a huge fan of most of the oranges I've seen from Rusto, but that looks nice. The Vagabond is a nice-looking rocket. I'm regretting not getting it when it was in the clearance bin at Hobby Lobby.

How did you do all the multi-colored paint on those tube fins? That's a complex paint job. Greet work.

Wow! These are all great!

The Lobster Red looks like a nice red-orange. I'm going to keep my eye out for that. I'm not a huge fan of most of the oranges I've seen from Rusto, but that looks nice. The Vagabond is a nice-looking rocket. I'm regretting not getting it when it was in the clearance bin at Hobby Lobby.

How did you do all the multi-colored paint on those tube fins? That's a complex paint job. Greet work.

I'm not a big fan of Rusto oranges either but this one is great, comparable to Testors Compitition Orange.

I got my Vagabond from the Hobby Lobby clearance rack for a whopping $7.99, gotta love that!

As for painting the tube fins I masked the glue lines and painted before putting it together. I painted the lighter outer colors first then masked and painted the darker inner color.
The orange in the smaller tube was hand painted.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of Rusto oranges either but this one is great, comparable to Testors Compitition Orange.

I got my Vagabond from the Hobby Lobby clearance rack for a whopping $7.99, gotta love that!

As for painting the tube fins I masked the glue lines and painted before putting it together. I painted the lighter outer colors first then masked and painted the darker inner color.
The orange in the smaller tube was hand painted.

Thanks for the info. That sounds like a good technique for the tube fins. It turned out really nice!

Back