Another pair of Optimas (2x29mm getting bondo)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I crazy or would the new Estes Scion kit make a good jumping-off point for a 29mm, slightly upscaled version of the Optima? The length is just a hair short, but otherwise it looks like you'd get a pretty close clone just by cutting some new fins.

That'd be pretty damn close. A pretty cool rocket it its own right...

I've thought about a PSII based Optima myself. I'd like to see what you guys pull off.

Oh, and I'm working on a Scion (clone?) myself. I had the parts, so I didn't need to buy the kit.

One of the problems with the original Optima was it REALLY pushed the limits. D12-3's barely lift it (still my favorite motor for it) and the fins/body are fairly fragile. PSII or LOC parts would be sufficient, but just to avoid storage transport damage issues I've been making them out of bluetube. This does put the low end of motors at about an F50. PSII would be able to fly on econojets, which would be cool. But, I've got the hardware and G76G reloads are cheaper, so that's where my "target weight" lands. Someday I'll make an thinwall FG one DD for a J510W. But not yet :)

Parts are on the way now for the Dual Shadow. ARR Bluetube, LOC nosecone, bunch of 3/16" plywood sheets. Going to pickup T nuts for motor retention on this one, and an aeropack for the 38.

Rings. Not enough room for full rings. I'm thinking of cutting half moons out of plywood, then shaping them to fit the dual tubes. Going to epoxy a kevlar leader to the motor tubes on both.

TTW fins. 38mm, usual drill. No big deal. Dual Shadow is going to take a bit more work. I've got to line them up so the rail buttons will put the motors parallel to the flight line, and size the tabs by hand to fit all the way to the motor tubes. One directly in between the tubes, and the other two will be much shorter and the root angled to match.

What did you decide on the 1" short 29mm cluster?

Life is pulling it's typical thing and getting in the way, so I haven't gotten to these yet.

But, I have decided to build them both stock length. The 29mm version will either get a spacer ring during a retrofit, or enough tube replaced to put a coupler in, but it'll eventually be brought up to proper length. I don't think anyone but myself will notice :)

I do have all the wood in now, so all I need is some time.

Based on the picture, it looks like you could trim an 1" off the tube for the 38 and use it on the 29. Maybe at the very bottom so the motor mounts work as the coupler.

G78-4 Mojave Green single use motor. The G76-4 Mojave Green reload has pretty good mach diamonds as well, but I find the SU come out better. I need to do another H250G, the first one came out blurry

All my Optima launches- https://www.flickr.com/photos/31757945@N05/sets/72157636820162694

I've got the first fin epoxied in. Plan is to get all three main fins on, then clamp the forward fins to the mains.

Finally got back to work on these-

went old school on the fins
17876123064_aaa43376e8.jpg
18312630789_cafdc4cabc.jpg

Went "old school..." I like it! Excellent use of man's trusty handsaw. Nice MPR builds, what are your other sizes?

Back