For Beach Boys fans.......

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxQ

Tripoli 2747
Reaction score
When I heard the Beach Boys were doing a 50th anniversary tour in 2012, I had some doubts...
I'm not much into old rock acts trying to hit those high notes.
The live show in Chiba Japan has garnered some rave reviews on the internet.
Happy to have found this posting of that very show.

Delivered with a hell of a lot of energy........almost nonstop.
The whole concert had the Japanese fans on their feet for the entire 1 hour forty minutes...they never sat down.
The extended Surf tunes medley was followed immediately by a Hot Rod tunes medley.....and that was only the first half of the show.

I particularly liked "Don't Back Down" at 14:49, followed by "Surfin Safari" with Dave Marks (original member - the kid next door in Hawthorne California) playing that surf guitar break.
Al Jardine can still sing...check out "Help me Rhonda" at 1:20:07

[video=youtube;NdUeD2ehz64]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdUeD2ehz64[/video]

Last edited:
Awesome show!

It sure looked and sounded good to me.
I liked how they started with "Do It Again"...quite appropriate.
Hot Rod medley starts at 24:45

They even did some of Brian Wilsons's "ego music" (as Mike Love referred to it) from Pet Sounds...and "Heroes and Villains" and "Sail on Sailor"

Last edited:
I've been a Beach Boys fan since the beginning. I've seen them perform live a few times over the years. I saw the 50th anniversary show in Boston. It was fantastic!

Little Deuce Coupe was the first album I ever bought. I was still in single digits, age wise. No other American group had as much influence on modern popular music (IMO). Would have loved to catch them live, back in the day.

I still listen to "surf" music. Nothing better when you're headed for the beach or the boat.

Little Deuce Coupe was the first album I ever bought. I was still in single digits, age wise. No other American group had as much influence on modern popular music (IMO). Would have loved to catch them live, back in the day.

I still listen to "surf" music. Nothing better when you're headed for the beach or the boat.

I still listen to their surf and car tunes, they are the sounds of summer for me.

I saw them on the National Capital grounds on the Fourth of July (when they were invited back after the infamous Sec. Interior James Watt debacle - I guess I was one of the "wrong element' that the Beach Boys attracted to the nation's capital, according to Watt). I recall being impressed by Carl Wilson's Chuck Berry style lead guitar licks...
Given the historical record, sounds like Watt himself was the wrong element.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 1995, Watt was indicted on 25 counts of felony perjury and obstruction of justice by a federal grand jury, accused of making false statements before the grand jury investigating influence peddling at the Department of Housing and Urban Development, which he had lobbied in the 1980s.On January 2, 1996, Watt pleaded guilty to one count of misdemeanor of withholding documents from the grand jury. On March 12, 1996, he was sentenced to five years' probation, and ordered to pay a fine of $5,000 and perform 500 hours of community service.

They brought their 1975 tour to William and Mary (my junior year there). It was one of the best concerts I've ever seen!!!!

Growing up, i thought the Beach Boys were awesome! Little did i know that Dennis Wilson's daughter would become my girlfriend for 6 years. Have i got stories!!!! Unreleased music too, including the "fire song"! Interesting times to say the least!!!

If you 're not sure Brian could still do it live since the old Beach Boys days......he can do what Carl Wilson used to do with "God Only Knows", and checkout the last song "Caroline No" at 17:34 on this live performance in London England of Pet Sounds.
The flute solo at the end is really nice, and of course the classic coda at the end.....

[video=youtube;3E6NS7CI5v8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E6NS7CI5v8[/video]

Last edited:
Growing up, i thought the Beach Boys were awesome! Little did i know that Dennis Wilson's daughter would become my girlfriend for 6 years. Have i got stories!!!! Unreleased music too, including the "fire song"! Interesting times to say the least!!!
Well I'm all ears, but then, whatever you feel comfortable sharing........

Back