X-24 Bug or HL-20?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketT.Coyote

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone compared the Quest HL-20 with the Semroc/Centuri X-24 Bug? Both are similar in construction and in general layout. I've built both, but with a 20-year gap in between. If you're lucky, you get a 4:1 glide ratio in either example.:cool:

What about the Centuri X-24 Bug vs. The Squirrel Works X-RV vs. Quest's HL-20 vs. Sunward's Space Speedster vs. Model Minute's Space Racer? (I know - only three of them are gliders.)

How about a 5-way drag race? ;)

(I haven't built any of them, but that's an idea!)

MarkII

ka-12@.gif
XRV.jpg
rp_qst_hl-20.jpg

spacespeedsterfront.jpg
mm_space_racer05.jpg

Last edited:
Two totally different animals the X-24 bug is a pretty decent flying model and pretty good glider, the HL-20 on the other hand is an OK flying Model but not to good as a glider. Note the placement of the "wings/tail" on the two models. X-24 is a much better balance.

can't say much about the bug as i have never seen one. but my HL 20, was not a good glider, it kind of fell with style.

can't say much about the bug as i have never seen one. but my HL 20, was not a good glider, it kind of fell with style.
Well, if you get the Squirrel Works X-RV, you will get an almost identical design (I think). Does SW have a distributor in the UK?

MarkII

Last edited:
Estes is saposed to come out with the X-24 Bug later this year but who knows...
Mr. Bob
Starlight Instigator

Well, if you get the Squirrel Works X-RV, you will get an almost identical design (I think). Does SW have a distributor in the UK?

MarkII

Yes

squirrel works have at least three vendors that i know about in the UK.

Actually, if properly built and trimmed, you can get better than a 4:1 glide ratio with the X-RV.

We don't use exactly the same materials as the X-24 or HL-20 so you can get a lighter glider out of our kit. I've build a couple of X-RV's that get pretty decent glide times. You just have to be patient and trim them.

The X-24 is very easy to clone. Our NAR section did a fun build session of them.

PDF from Jim-Z is available here.

interesting!
Yeah, I think that a drag race between the X-24 Bug, the X-RV, the Space Speedster and the Space Racer (if anyone can find one) would be really cool. They don't all recover the same way, I realize, but it would be a neat sight to see all four going up at the same time. And then watching as the X-24 does its Shuttle-like "death dive" glide, the X-RV does its sweet glide, the Space Speedster comes down on its streamer and as the Space Racer takes the leisurely route down on its chute. :D

MarkII

Last edited:
Found the remains of my X-24. It uses polymer clay ballast whereas the HL-20 requires you to add 2 cents. HL-20 had a streamer to attach to the motor and a foam-core board bulkhead. The X-24 used a pressboard bulkhead.

Looking forward to re-release of the X-24.

I built mine with 24mm motor mount and adapted it down to 18mm. I wrapped the adapter with a streamer. That way when the motor kicks out, it has a streamer.

I also found the X-24 glides better without fins.

Recently I completed my HL-20 by Quest. I would say that it's not difficult to build and, finished with clear coat, a nice model! Haven't flown it yet...

HL20bug.jpg

Back