The Querty - Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAHagen

Reaction score
Okay So now that LDRS is firmly ingrained in my summer schedule, it's time to see how many rockets I can get built between now and the end of June!

To begin with is a scratch built rocket I like to call the Querty.
This rocket is going to be a 3 inch rocket with a 54mm motor mount, and a pretty awesome fin design.

Querty Cabron snip 2.jpg Quert Cabron snip 3.jpg

Side to that, this rocket will be a fairly basic build with:
  • 3 x 3/16" glassed plywood fins:
  • 54mm Aeropac for motor retention
  • 3 inch GLR Pinnacle nose cone
  • Glassed, 3" paper airframe
  • And an electronics, and payload bay for DD and tracking

With a 54mm motor, this rocket is simmed to go anywhere from 5k-13k feet, and push mach 1.8 (although I probably will won't risk pushing it that hard).

I placed an order at Rocketry Warehouse last Friday containing the nose cone, retainer, and shock cord. I already have the body tubes and am working on removing the glassine layer from the tube for fiberglassing. For some reason the glassine really doesn't want to come off of them. As for the fins, I'll go by either Hobby Lobby, or Home Depot some time this week and pick up some plywood.

As always, suggestions and tips of any kind are welcome!

Last edited:
It has come to my attention that my rocket's name was actually a Spanish profanity... I am extremely sorry about this and apologize if I offended anyone because of this threads title. I deleted the word from the thread and will be removing the thread once I get home. (I can't seem to do it from my phone.) I used the random rocket name generator for the name and I should have checked the definition of the words used.

Once again I am very VERY sorry...

Last edited:
I only laughed, but if others found it offense then yeah removing it is the best thing to do.

Okay, so after talking it over with one of the admins, I'm going to leave this thread up and just change the name, so now that my original name is no longer an option, I am open to suggestions! :D I was think the magician but if I remember correctly, there is already a PSII rocket named that.

Last edited:
EST2440-2.jpg

Looks like an Argent...

Do some name that will screw with the RSO.... ya know... something like OIWEJ SDCLKJ SDLI. :)

Do some name that will screw with the RSO.... ya know... something like OIWEJ SDCLKJ SDLI. :)

Yuees. :)

When I saw the title of the thread, I thought you were planning on launching a typewriter or card punch machine.

Haha yeah. I was thinking a good name would be something that characterized the fin design.

That would be an awesome oddroc though... :p

Got the Aeropack, and 3" Nose cone for this build today. The NC fits perfectly on the airframe tube... Would be great, but I was planning to layup 2-3 wraps of glass on the airframe. Is there anything wrong with just sanding the tube down so it's the right diameter when it's glassed? I also have a full length coupler that I could use and do some fancy maneuvering with the upper section to get the NC to fit if sanding isn't the best option.
Any suggestions?

1429743623750.jpg

Last edited:
Sanding it down to the right diameter will be a pain, unless you have a lathe to turn it down. If your rocket aint going to go that fast say Mach 2+, then I really see no need to glass it. Choice is all up to you.

Sanding it down to the right diameter will be a pain, unless you have a lathe to turn it down. If your rocket aint going to go that fast say Mach 2+, then I really see no need to glass it. Choice is all up to you.

+1..

Okay, so after talking it over with one of the admins, I'm going to leave this thread up and just change the name, so now that my original name is no longer an option, I am open to suggestions! :D I was think the magician but if I remember correctly, there is already a PSII rocket named that.

The Magician isn't a PSII rocket, it's one of Estes LPR rockets. It's a decent start on a Cherokee D clone if you don't mind the fins being a tad off scale, and have a PNC-55AC laying about.

The Magician isn't a PSII rocket, it's one of Estes LPR rockets. It's a decent start on a Cherokee D clone if you don't mind the fins being a tad off scale, and have a PNC-55AC laying about.

Ah.. okay. As for making it a clone... Am I missing something? The fins on this design seem much more freeeform than the ones on both the Argent and Cherokee D to me... :confused:

Yeah I was thinking that it would be pretty difficult to sand down the diameter that much. I'm just worried about these tubes because they aren't commercially made for rocketry. They are the standard size, but I'm not sure if they are the same strength. I guess I could glue the full length coupler into the body tube to double the wall thickness. That might work...

As for the build, I picked up some 1/4" ply today for the fins. Hopefully will be able to get some work done this weekend.

Yeah I was thinking that it would be pretty difficult to sand down the diameter that much. I'm just worried about these tubes because they aren't commercially made for rocketry. They are the standard size, but I'm not sure if they are the same strength. I guess I could glue the full length coupler into the body tube to double the wall thickness. That might work...

As for the build, I picked up some 1/4" ply today for the fins. Hopefully will be able to get some work done this weekend.

I justed noticed that your going with paper tubes. I thought your intention was blue tube, my apologies. Still I've seen one rocket go to Mach 1 without any reinforcement. However, just to be assured, glassing it would be a good safety margin. If your going with one of those glassine layered paper tubes, you could peel that off and add two layers of 6oz glass. The thickness should not be that much with just two wraps.

The thing was that he had already has the tubes fro the build.

Oh well um, does it still have that glassine layer? With that removed it should be no problem. Always remember that 6oz. glass adds 0.01" for each layer. If you do two it will give you 0.02".

What is the OD on the tube?

Oh well um, does it still have that glassine layer? With that removed it should be no problem. Always remember that 6oz. glass adds 0.01" for each layer. If you do two it will give you 0.02".

What is the OD on the tube?

It's 3.1". Two layers of glass probably would definitely do the trick, and I guess I could just use a ton of build up primer on the NC.

Ah.. okay. As for making it a clone... Am I missing something? The fins on this design seem much more freeeform than the ones on both the Argent and Cherokee D to me... :confused:

I should have said something like: The Magician is a decent start on a Cherokee D clone if you don't mind the fins being a tad off scale, and have a PNC-55AC laying about.

"The NC fits perfectly on the airframe tube... Would be great, but I was planning to layup 2-3 wraps of glass on the airframe. Is there anything wrong with just sanding the tube down so it's the right diameter when it's glassed?.
Any suggestions?"
..................................................................................................................................

OR after glassing the tubes, cut a 1inch wide section from tube........slide on NC & glue. Then fill and taper the NC to the 1in. piece for a perfect match! [I used JB Weld & a credit card to smooth epoxy by rotating the NC while spreading.]

100_8988.jpg

Last edited:
"The NC fits perfectly on the airframe tube... Would be great, but I was planning to layup 2-3 wraps of glass on the airframe. Is there anything wrong with just sanding the tube down so it's the right diameter when it's glassed?.
Any suggestions?"
..................................................................................................................................

OR after glassing the tubes, cut a 1inch wide section from tube........slide on NC & glue. Then fill and taper the NC to the 1in. piece for a perfect match! [I used JB Weld & a credit card to smooth epoxy by rotating the NC while spreading.]

View attachment 261628

That's an awesome idea. I think that will probably be what I end up doing.
Thanks!

Finished sanding off the glassine. That was a chore... Anyway I should be able to get more done on the rocket once my school ends over the next couple of weeks.

Can't wait for this school year to be over. Extremely busy. Next year will be better hopefully since I'll only be doing dual credit classes.

I really need to find a better way of storing my rocket stuff...

The shop I have my stuff in has no protection from humidity. Every time it rains all my plywood gets all warped. I also had a section of blue tube 2.0 warp on me too. So right now the ply for the rocket's fins are clamped down to the work table in an attempt to get it straightened out.

Do you guys have any suggestions for storing stuff so the humidity doesn't warp it? I getting tired of having to straighten everything out every time it rains...

My shops and storage spaces have continuously running dehumidifiers to prevent machines equipment from rusting.

That's an interesting idea. Do you think it would work with a, 500-600+ square foot area?

My old shop was 720 sqft, after the first few rains my milling machine had surface rust, I installed a dehumidifier with a hose to a drain for continuous operation and never had a problem again.

Back