Black Knights April Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A brief report on the Black Knights April Launch.
Weather was blustery and a little cloudy, so we had an effective ceiling of approx 2,000 feet, nevertheless a lot of fun was had including the most spectacular cato I have ever seen, the rocket took off well, was looking good, then 100 feet up, bang, the explosion was huge it blew the rocket apart. So sorry Steve, but wow, what a sight for the spectators.
I passed on my level 2 attempt as the cloud cover was too low and the wind was a bit blustery, so just launched my Big Dog on an I218, I do like the White Thunders, a great flame and a huge roar. It is getting late and it's been a long day, so I will update this tomorrow with the other news.

Wow. Sounds like a spectacular Cato. Do you know why it happened? Motor casing failed?

We're not 100% sure, but we think it might have been a cracked grain that over pressurised the motor. Strange thing was that the case appeared OK.
The through the wall fins were even blown off the rocket, the quantum tube was melted, there were quite a few bits to pick up.

Back