CO Mile High Mayhem?????????????

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is scheduled for Friday, Saturday, & Sunday June 5th to 7th

Mayhem not listed on any calendar because of the Fire Ban threat. Pawnee National Grassland has not been getting much of the moisture that has been falling in Colorado - seems the I 25 highway corridor is some sort of weather barrier. Launch is still a probable but NCR has been reluctant to advertise.

Obviously too early for an official decision on Mayhem, but the conditions have improved enough that we did launch at the Pawnee North Site last weekend (May 2 and 3). Since then we have been in a really wet weather pattern and it is supposed to continue at least through this weekend. I was driving from Cheyenne, WY to Greeley, CO today for work and passed within several miles of the launch site.... there has been substantial precipitation! Still 4 weeks before Mayhem is scheduled, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Waiting on Official Approval from the Forest Service. Plans are in motion... I am optimistic. Seems like every time we change up the dates to avoid Graduations or the Memorial Day Holiday or what have you, the weather decides to change as well. Although, without changes there would never be any butterflies. Or as my boss used to say, the only constant around here is change. Believe in Mayhem and it will happen. Scheduled range set up is set for Thursday afternoon, June 4th, pending final approval. We'll be flying Friday, Saturday and a good part of Sunday, weather permitting and USFS approval pending.

On a different topic, equipment cleanup got moved a weekend because of too much rain and mud. Now happening on the 16th of May in anticipation of Official Approval for the GO to launch. Stay tuned in and keep the positive vibrations happening.

Ugh! Mile High Mayhem 2015 is a NO-GO! Well, a month or two ago we were worried about it being too dry..... not the case. Too much rain over the past several weeks has made the conditions too soggy. We have been WASHED OUT. There is concern that the access road to the launch site will become impassible given the expected number of vehicles over the weekend. I am prepared and anxiously waiting for my Level 2 test and flight attempt.... hopefully we'll get good conditions for the High Skies in July launch July 11 and 12.

We get these spring rains that lead to grass growth, then it dries out for the summer and we just can't win. Last Wednesday I was sinking up to my ankles in mud in my backyard and today after a few days of sunshine the ground firmed right up and dried out.

Edward

Well Miki and I made it to the launch site but no launch. Looks like a great place to fly. I hope to get back there some year. Is there a Fall launch?

Well Miki and I made it to the launch site but no launch. Looks like a great place to fly. I hope to get back there some year. Is there a Fall launch?

Oh no! That is a bummer. It was washed out this year - we have had a lot of rain.

How was the site condition?

Edward

The site condition looked good. The road up from the gate looks like it might need a little work. We were coming home from Yellow Stone so we took the Southern route to make it for Sunday. I hope you guys get in there for the Oct. launch.

The road from the gate to the launch site gets a road grader once or twice a year. It always gets some ruts just before you go down the hill.

Yellowstone is awesome, as long as she doesn't blow!

Edward

Yes Yellowstone was great. It was Miki's first time there. If it blows we are all done. At the launch site I walked from the gate up to the top of 1st little hill from the gate. Up a bit from that point it looked like a mound of dirt about 12" high the ran across the road both ways for 100 yards each way. Not sure what I was seeing. We sure hope to get back sometime.

If you go down the road through the gate about a mile you come to the launch site - situated in a bowl. Great flying there.

Edward

Back