Estes Electron Beam controller + 4x 3.6v AA's? 12v launch controller?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBSSJoe

Reaction score
I have seen a few writeups about converting the old controllers into 12v systems.

What if you simply bought a 4 pack of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005IZJBAC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

And installed them? 14.4 volts. About what a running vehicle charging system puts out...

I figure it might blow up the continuity indicator light, but that could be worked around.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would deal with the lamp first, or be ready for the continuity check to both blow the bulb and launch the rocket.

I would not use them. They are not rechargeable, and designed so supply low current for a very long period of time. They are not designed for short pulse high current applications.

The Saft LS14500 primary lithium cell, is based on Lithium-Thionyl chloride (Li-SOCl2) chemistry. The LS14500 key features are the concentric electrodes ("bobbin") construction that enables maximum loading of active materials and corresponding energy. The LS14500 cell is designed specifically for long-term (3 to 15 years) applications. - AA size Lithium Thionyl Chloride Cylindrical Cell - High energy, high reliability 3.6 volt power source. - Excellent memory backup power source. - Low self discharge rate gives this cell a 10 year plus shelf life. Nominal Voltage: 3.6 V Nominal Capacity: 2.45 Ah @ (1 mA)

In a high current draw (if you can draw high current from this specific cell), they will get hot and it they get hot their behavior is not predictable.

For a 12 volt launcher you want a rechargeable 3S LiPo battery (Nominal 11.8 volts) that can supply a lot of current in a pulse.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking...gy_nano_tech_1000mAh_3S_45_90C_Lipo_Pack.html This rechargeable $11 LiPo battery will source 90 Amps and weighs 97 grams (3.4 oz). It will launch any combination of motors you would want to use with this type of launcher. You will get 3+ dozen full current launches out of one charge. Probably 100 estes single engine launches.

Bob

Back