Best rocket club web sites?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
I ask for links to rocket club web sites with the most attractive design and best usability.

EDIT: What I'm after here is a clean, attractive, easy to navigate standardized rocket club web site template for widespread use, preferably one that is easy to edit/maintain through the use of free or low cost WYSIWYG web design software that can be used on any web hosting service.

Last edited:
So what club are you trying to get a website for?
All who choose to use it. There are on-line generic templates for clubs, but they don't fit well with rocketry. The goal here is to find a great site design and use it widely, crediting the original author with a "Site Design by John/Jane Doe." Or, perhaps, combine the features of more than one great site and use that. Rocket club websites shouldn't need to reinvent the wheel every time one is created.

www.oregonrocketry.com

WordPress seems to be the common choice for WYSIWYG editing - NOT my style, but that's how our club's site is set up. Lots of different hosts support WordPress, also.
My site is all custom HTML.

I used Wordpress for ROCK's club site at https://www.r-o-c-k.org/. I created a custom plug-in to handle things like launch status and launch recaps. I'd be willing to "open source" the plug-in if anyone is interested in using or enhancing it.

-- Roger

There should be a sticky for clubs web page. I have been on some that had very little activitie resulting in slow response for info. I guess Facebook works best for most club members.

There should be a sticky for clubs web page. I have been on some that had very little activitie resulting in slow response for info. I guess Facebook works best for most club members.
Problem is, too many assume everyone is on Facebook. They aren't.

Lots of great looking web pages linked to here, but what I'm after is something that's as dirt simple to set up and maintain as it can possibly be, preferably not tied to some particular web provider. However, many of them provide simple WYSIWYG tools to create and maintain web sites on their servers. A great review site covering them:

https://www.websitebuilderexpert.com/website-builders-comparison-chart/

Weebly looks to be the easiest to use and supposedly has great customer support that this very objective review site says you probably won't even need because it's so easy to use. However, an essential feature for this universal, generic rocket club website template would be the ability to share the template with others, minimally on the same provider's servers, ideally on any provider's servers. Learning if that is possible would require questions submitted to the web provider.

I would suggest you try out Wordpress.
Simple to setup, easy to use and update. It has a ton of plug-ins written by third parties that add a lot of additional functionality to your webpage, and best of all it's free! :)

I would suggest you try out Wordpress.
Simple to setup, easy to use and update. It has a ton of plug-ins written by third parties that add a lot of additional functionality to your webpage, and best of all it's free! :)
Thanks. Here's an ease-of-use comparison of the Wix web builder (and they claim the Weebly web builder is even easier to use than Wix) to Wordpress. The advantage of Wordpress is that you won't be stuck with any particular web provider. If you use the Wix or Weebly site creation tools, you must be on their severs:

https://www.websitebuilderexpert.com/wix-vs-wordpress/#ease

Small excerpt:

Wix vs WordPress – Ease of Use

When it comes to Wix vs WordPress in terms of ease of use, the learning curve for WordPress is definitely a lot steeper. As mentioned above, a lot of people choose WordPress for its flexibility, but with this flexibility comes complexity.

If you know how to modify codes, you can potentially do a lot of customizations with WordPress that you can’t do with Wix. But are you a skilled developer? If not, you can still customize WordPress but you will need to hire a skilled WordPress developer which can cost quite a bit.

While there are customization limits to using Wix, Wix is designed and built specifically so it is easy for non-developers to use with ease. You can definitely learn how to use Wix a lot faster (and with a lot less headaches).

Wix is a What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get (WYSIWYG) website builder, so you can drag and drop paragraphs, pictures, slideshows, shopping cart buttons, etc directly into to the website builder to start building your website. How ever you place these content in the website builder is how it will look when the site is published.

As for WordPress, the downside is that whatever content you insert into the editor, you won’t see what it looks like “live” until you preview or publish the page.

Back