Todays Even Better Makerbeam Discovery!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know right?
It would make sense to set up rails like this so that not only can you do both sizes with one rail, but it will keep the fragile Makerbeam rail protected and straight.
when I get that 1500mm Rail I'll stick it right in there and then I won't have to worry about bending it ever.

Last edited:
I suppose a hose clamp or something similar would be sufficient to make a stop to hold the 10mm rail up high enough, so that the tops of the two rails are even. I'm not sure I'd want to there to be extra 1010 above the top of the Makerbeam, such that the rocket would leave the micro rail and potentially strike the supporting 1010. Might not be an issue, but still, I'd make sure it isn't. That does solve the issue of folks wanting to use microbuttons at club launches before the club has adopted the rail for it.

Make the world's ugliest 1010 rail buttons by chopping up a makerbeam! Or maybe some neat rail guides if you are crafty enough.

I think AL on AL binds though.

Someone will be along shortly now to tell me that I have Overbuilt my Rail.:wink:

Make the world's ugliest 1010 rail buttons by chopping up a makerbeam! Or maybe some neat rail guides if you are crafty enough.

I think AL on AL binds though.

Acme Rail Guides are aluminum and they slide just fine, but this is a slightly tighter fit, so it would take a little tweaking to the Makerbeam to turn it into a rail guide.
It likely could be made to work though in some form, so good Idea!

Acme Rail Guides are aluminum and they slide just fine, but this is a slightly tighter fit, so it would take a little tweaking to the Makerbeam to turn it into a rail guide.
It likely could be made to work though in some form, so good Idea!
If properly contoured/shaped, it would make quite the aesthetically pleasing rail guide.

I was thinking of the entire square for a big, ugly block. With care, I'm guessing it is possible to make something nice (or different at least).

I was thinking of the entire square for a big, ugly block. With care, I'm guessing it is possible to make something nice (or different at least).

If you used the entire length of Makerbeam and put an Arrowhead on it you could make a cool Spearfishing Gun.
You could re-inforce the inner channels of the Makerbeam with 1/8" steel rods.(The two channels that don't engage the 1010 channel) You could then weld the "Insert" for the broadhead to screw into to the steel rods.;)
I want to build a Speargun now.

LOL. I think buying an arrow at Wally world and filling it with epoxy + BBs for weight might be a better choice. Not sure what shoots it though.

LOL. I think buying an arrow at Wally world and filling it with epoxy + BBs for weight might be a better choice. Not sure what shoots it though.

I make all sort of things that shoot all sorts of things, but it is inappropriate for this forum.
A speargun build would be appropriate for the "Guns and Rockets Thread" however.

I guess it would be appropriate to coin the term, "Railhack" now, to describe a rail that can accommodate more than one button size.

Back