List of Estes sci-fi space planes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXPjawa

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a list of kits that Estes sold from the mid-70s to late 80s that used the PNC-50SP nose cone, which has a molded-in canopy. However, I'd like to include other designs as well that are essentially jet fighter-style space planes, target/recon drones, or very sci-fi like star fighters. I guess most anything that's got "wings" instead of fins. This was the focus of my interest years ago, and it appears that Estes has largely gotten away from this type of model. As a BAR, that's a little disheartening. Anyway, I am excluding obvious models from franchises like Star Wars, Star Trek, etc., but here's what I've got so far:

Models that used PNC50SP:
  • 1988 - Argosy
  • 1946 - Starhawk
  • 1933 - X-16
  • 1364 - Falcon Commander
  • 1909 - USSF Fireflash
  • 1341 - World Federation Star Probe
  • 1361 - Skytracer
  • 5348(C) - Spacemaster

Models that used the PNC55B:
  • 1367 - Vindicator
  • 1910 - USS Pleiades
  • 1250 - Interceptor

Models that used the PNC50:
  • Attack Craft Orion
  • Manta Bomber
  • 5358 (C) - Python

BT-5-based craft:
  • 0873 - Hawkeye

BT20-based craft:
  • 0806 - Pegasus
  • 1366 - Star Speeder
  • 0831 - Starblazer
  • 1931 - Delta Wedge
  • 1941 - Fox Fire

Other BT50-based craft:
  • 1359 - Orbital Interceptor
  • 1375 - Scorpius
  • 1913 - Advanced Target Drone
  • 1927 - Aries SST
  • 1371 - Star Ship Nova
  • Nova Scout Ship
  • 1296 - Satellite Interceptor
  • 1920 - Starship Excalibur
  • 1358 - F-61 Starfighter
  • 2053 - Blackhawk
  • 1999 - Corsair

1.125" Tubing based:

• 1929 - Stealth

Other BT55-based craft:
  • 1376 - NASA Pegasus
  • 2068 - Greyhawk Orbital Interceptor
  • 1973 - Interceptor II
  • 2000 - Voyager II
  • 2015 - Strike Fighter

BT60-based craft:
  • 1974 - Explorer
  • 1391 - Mini Shuttle
  • 2037 - National Aerospace Plane
  • 2017 - SWAT

2"-tube based:
  • Interceptor E
  • Cosmic Interceptor
  • Trajector

I included the Mini Shuttle more because its sort of a Shuttle goony, unlike the scale model version, and it amused me even though it is (strictly speaking) a stretch for the theme here. This list is sort of the basis of the models I want to clone and upscale where practical.

Any ideas for inclusion on this list would be helpful, I will update as required.

Last edited:
Just outside of your range is the 1990-94, BT-60 Based, National Aerospace Plane (2037). It used the PNC-60RL nosecone.

This may not be one for your list, but the PSII E2X kit Trajector has a molded canopy nose cone that fits their 2" tube. These E2X kits don't have a lot of attraction for builders, but I built one and brought it to a launch, and a lot of people thought it was a pretty neat kit, with the detailed nose cone, pods on the fins, and the decals. The NC might be handy for upscales or scratch builds based on the 2" tubing.

I'd say, go ahead and include the franchise kits someone might not know about them and really want to try and track one down. I know that there were kits based on Buck Rogers, Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, and The Black Hole (but that one may not have been released... I don't remember)

Colonial Viper (1310), released in 1979

Last edited:
Here is a resource that might be of some assistence:

https://www.rocketshoppe.com/info/Estes_Nose_Cone_Reference_10.1.pdf

from page 15:

Code:
P/N 071001, PNC-50SP (Blow Molded)
Kit Number         Kit Name
1341                  World Federation Space Probe
1361                  Skytracer
1364                  Falcon Commander
1373                  Soaring Eagle
1909                  USSF Fireflash
1933                  X-16
1946                  Starhawk
1988                  Argosy
2140                  Venom

P/N 071002, PNC-50SV (Blow Molded)
Kit Number         Kit Name
1310                  Colonial Viper

The PNC-50SV is identical to the PNC-50X, only it has a molded cutline used to create the forward
scoop.

Last edited:
The year range is just a guideline, based more on me than on product offerings. I recall ignoring the National aerospace Plane originally, because the photo in the catalog made it look like a fairly normal 3-fin rocket with a fancy paint job. I didn't realize until more recently that it had the whole ramjet thing underneath. I've added it, though it too is a stretch for the theme, as its more of an airliner than a starfighter.

The Trajector is a good source of cone for repopping the Interceptor E or upscaling a Vindicator. Might also be interesting to upscale the Pleiades as well.

samb, thanks for posting that.

Last edited:
Models that used the PNC50:
  • Attack Craft Orion
  • Manta Bomber

You could also add the Centuri Python Fighter, as Estes and Centuri were pretty much the same thing by that point. The Centuri Spacemaster also used the PNC-50SP. Another offering from the same time period.

This may not be one for your list, but the PSII E2X kit Trajector has a molded canopy nose cone that fits their 2" tube. These E2X kits don't have a lot of attraction for builders, but I built one and brought it to a launch, and a lot of people thought it was a pretty neat kit, with the detailed nose cone, pods on the fins, and the decals. The NC might be handy for upscales or scratch builds based on the 2" tubing.

I am most decidedly a builder. And I'm pretty opposed to the ARF, RTF and E2X rockets. That being said, the PSII E2X rockets are better. More advanced assembly design. And I am impressed with their flights. I own 2 and plan to get the other 3 as well. Trajector is most definitely on the list. Too bad we can't easily get upscaled nose cones from the smaller series to make them mid power.

#2015 Strike Fighter, found in the 1991 catalog.
#1941 Fox Fire in the 1989 catalog.
#1999 Corsair, 1989 catalog.

I'm trying to ID a space fighter that I have and am going through a lot of catalogs....

Last edited:
Thanks for the additions. Also added #1929 Stealth & #2000 Voyager II.

Post a picture of the one you have, maybe its on the list somewhere already...

Last edited:
The white one is the mystery ship. The black one in the background is a Corsair that I found hiding in the corner of my old rocket box.

20150420_192850.jpg

That's a Xarconian Destroyer, #1903. I saw it catalogs out of the early '80s.

Last edited:
The white one is the mystery ship. The black one in the background is a Corsair that I found hiding in the corner of my old rocket box.
That Corsair has a distinctly Klingon-inspired look.

Rick, is this really a nostalgia thing, or might current models make the list? There are quite a few from Flis Kits, such as US TOG, Tesla, K'TNG'A, and quite a few more.

Well, nostalgia does play a part, since I started this by building models that I didn't have time or money for when I was a kid. But still, there are still a lot on this list that I probably will never get to. I'm not going to limit myself to that, though. However, for those reasons, I'm concentrating just on Estes designs (plus a couple closely-related Centuri) for now. The Flis kits are interesting, and some do likely qualify, I'm not going to worry about those for the time being.

I also kind of wanted to see a list of classic models of this genre compiled so that others have it for a reference as well. I'm not sure what the best way to collect or retain that information is, so I'm doing this here. To that point, it seems to me that Sci-Fi/futuristic designs fall into one of two major subgroups. There are the - for lack of a better description - '50s style Flash Gordon type rockets, of which I would include Laser-X, Mars Snooper, Starship Vega, as well as the Flis Tesla. Then there are the aircraft-inspired, more "modern" future designs, like the ones listed here. I'm sure you could make a case for some that cross over or don't fit in either category. I guess the simplest distinction I can think of (other than wings vs fins) is they would theoretically land on either their tail or on their belly (on wheels, presumably).

And as you can also see, I've probably put way too much thought into this. But as I said, these types of designs are what always appealed to me most. I do get scale models for what they represent, I understand the appeal of sport models for their performance and simplicity of design, and appreciate vintage designs (like anything Astron) for the historical significance. But when I think of rockets, I still think of outlandish sci-fi and sleek, over-the-top futuristic. Its interesting that the era of the design has influence on it, but at the same time, many of these designs are fairly timeless. Sort of classic timeless futurist... :p

Last edited:
I didn't see the SR-71 Blackbird mentioned yet. It's got wings and a nosecone that includes a canopy. No idea what model number the nosecone is though.

Centuri had a few rockets that were based on real planes (F-4, F-104, Mirage, etc), as well as a couple of boost gliders that were based on aircraft (Mach 10, and IIRC a MIG). Then there's the F-14 that Estes did as well.

77cat16.jpg
77cat17.jpg

Last edited:
SR-71 is a scale model of an actual aircraft, not a futuristic, fantasy/sci-fi design. This, despite the fact that very much looked the part. This is the same reason that the various Space Shuttle models or Centuri jet planes aren't included.

Last edited:
SR-71 is a scale model of an actual aircraft, not a futuristic, fantasy/sci-fi design. This, despite the fact that very much looked the part. This is the same reason that the various Space Shuttle models or Centuri jet planes aren't included.

Sure, now that you point out you were asking about sci-fi it's obvious to me. Heh.

Sorry.

Back