Quest out of Q2G2's again

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just checked Hobbylinc and they show both lengths of the Q2’s are out of stock.
This doesn’t bode well.

One of the premier suppliers of N-Scale model train products ran into some problems with the Chinese factory that made their products.
You couldn’t get their N-Scale track items for closing on a year, maybe longer.
Really put a kink in people’s plans to build or expand their layouts.

If Q2's are made the same way many hobby related train items are, then we can expect a year to pass before production time can be assigned at the factory so that more Q'2s can be made.
Hopefully this will not be the case.

AMW had some in their trailer a week ago. They don't have them listed on their site, but an e-mail to Gloria might yield results.

I only have about 280 of them. If I was out or nearly out I would call Quest and ask them for details of availability.

I guess I'm glad I've never gotten hooked on them so I don't get sad about them not being available.:)

I only have about 280 of them. If I was out or nearly out I would call Quest and ask them for details of availability.

Looks like somebody's mommy wasn't monitoring their computer usage last night. "Bandwidth is precious.....don't waste it."

Fortunately I stocked up on a few extra Q2C2 long igniters when they were readily available. Q2C2's are far and away the best igniters for cluster launches with black powder motors. At my last rocketry club launch one of the members launched a North Coast Cluster Duck with seven engines. The engines all ignited perfectly using Q2C2 igniters.

Rocketron

Fortunately I stocked up on a few extra Q2C2 long igniters when they were readily available. Q2C2's are far and away the best igniters for cluster launches with black powder motors. At my last rocketry club launch one of the members launched a North Coast Cluster Duck with seven engines. The engines all ignited perfectly using Q2C2 igniters.

Rocketron

+1 on best BP cluster igniter hands down!
Ordered a 24 - 6pks as soon as they got back in stock. That should hold me until the next batch comes in.
When they do i'll like order another gross.

Like BP motors Igniters don't go bad so having a large stock is not a bad idea.

I like them for dual deployment. The distance from terminal strip to charge well is within range for the 4" or 8" Q2G2 leads.

What about motors? Does Quest stop selling motors because they don't have igniters to package with them? Or do they cut off separate igniter sales while they still have enough for the motor packages?

I did not hoard them by buying them. I bought a few hundred Quest motors at a time (and once a thousand) and I will often pre-install 31 ga nichrome wire igniters/starters to use with our club launch system. The 12V car battery turns the nichrome wire into molten metal instantly and will not misfire unless the clips are poorly attached and they melt the wire far away from the nozzle. This results in lots of spares that I can use for clustering. I used up all my Quest D5-0P motors in the core of a cluster rocket with 4, 5 or 7 C6-7 motors installed in the 7 outer tubes. With the full load it screamed and went very high.

And I still have it.

BT-80 based.

And, since I am not out of Quest A6-4 motors yet, there is no need to re-order at this time.

Unfortunately, except for you hoarders, the supply has been somewhat unreliable for the last few years for whatever reason. :cry:

After a quick search on the internet - it appears there are a number of sources that still have 3" Q2G2 igniters. Not cheap - but they are out there.

Back