Kate flight at Red Glare XVII

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VernK

Member/Vendor
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
There were six “Kate” flights at Red Glare XVII last weekend. One really exceptional flight was by Scott Szympruch. Scott flew his 6” Intimidator named Bellatrix to 10,265 feet on a 98mm, 11000NS, N2250 research motor. This was the highest Kate flight at Red Glare and it was an absolutely perfect flight from beginning to end. The data generated by the TelemetryPro System (aka “Kate”) as well as a YouTube video of the flight are available at the links below:

Kate Audio file
Google Earth Trajectory file
Flight Data Summary and Plots
Spreadsheet of Raw Data

[video=youtube;rYGkqN-412U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYGkqN-412U&index=26&list=PL2LMq2TTPTZoKqDt-NnNpx9JFVsRuO-S4[/video]

ScottSzympruch_N2250_BellaTrix_RedGlare17_150412_GoogleEarthImage.jpgScottSzympruch_N2250_BellaTrix_RedGlare17_150412_PlotImage.jpg

whistling gopher n. [wis-ling goh-fer]: a bi-pedal mammal that, when encountering something really, really cool and desirable first makes a sound like "Whatsit gopher?", and then, upon hearing the price, elicits a long whistle of amazement.

Vern, that's a pretty awesome setup you guys have. I'm envious. Someday (likely many years from now), I will have one.

I really, really want one. Hard to hide a purchase of that magnitude from my wife, though.

Yeah, the price is rather embarrassingly high but it is driven by the high cost of the parts and the labor to get it built in low volume. One way to bring the price down is to share the receiver. A club or small group of individuals could easily share one receiver.

I think it is an awesome piece of kit. Excellent work.

You guys don't get it. Buying this thing has only one purpose (other than to elicit murderous envy from fellow fliers), it absolutely guarantees that your rocket will land within 20' of your tent every time.

You guys don't get it. Buying this thing has only one purpose (other than to elicit murderous envy from fellow fliers), it absolutely guarantees that your rocket will land within 20' of your tent every time.

Well, based on the one at Red Glare that reached 700' of altitude and went more than 2 miles downrange under thrust...not necessarily...

Well, based on the one at Red Glare that reached 700' of altitude and went more than 2 miles downrange under thrust...not necessarily...

"impact at 220 feet per second" (or words to that effect)

I told Vern that he needed Kate to have (1) a sexy French accent, and (2) the ability to scream "AAAAAAAHHHHHH WE'RE GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!!!!" at appropriate moments.

whistling gopher n. [wis-ling goh-fer]: a bi-pedal mammal that, when encountering something really, really cool and desirable first makes a sound like "Whatsit gopher?", and then, upon hearing the price, elicits a long whistle of amazement.

hahahahahahahah

Man was dat a good one....

Teddy

Really cool! Out of my price range, but very, very cool.

Later!

--Coop

I would hope for an alternate Douglas Rain/HAL voice.
"Dave, this is highly irregular"

"impact at 220 feet per second" (or words to that effect)

My girlfriend's son asked: "That's not good, is it?"

My son: "Well... it's good the computer is still talking, I guess..."

Later!

--Coop

Ummmm, If somebody is going to spend the time, effort and money on a really high-flying beast that Kate has ridden along on before, the price of the Multitronix is a good investment when compared to the overall cost in materials, motor etc. for such a project. A real luxury for other types of flights but people can take solace in the fact that the information Kate espouses is readily available in an affordable manner to many more fliers............ They just can't have it in real time and have to download it later.

Streaming GPS data is affordable now to many more people than it was 7 years ago. Kurt

Meh, the Multitronix is amateur hour on cost...

Wantto spend real money on your rocketry avionics?

Here is the real ticket to divorce by rocketry! Build out a complete Black Magic UFC-3 with a full stack of accessories, or buy a small car...

I told Vern that he needed Kate to have (1) a sexy French accent, and (2) the ability to scream "AAAAAAAHHHHHH WE'RE GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!!!!" at appropriate moments.

"Danger, Will Robinson!" followed by Vern shouting "Quiet, you ninny!" would definitely get people's attention. :grin:

Back