OpenRocket problem Ver 15

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronh

Reaction score
I am new to open rocket, ran the attached sim's in Ver 14.11 see attachment.
When running in Ver 15 I sim'ed a J420 and only sims to 530+ feet Ver 14 sim'ed to 2700+ see attachment both are listed.
The altimeter recorded 3314 feet actual on Saturday's flight.

May I ask what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
Ron

Hyper16th.JPG

Not really enough information to say with certainty... If I had to hazard a guess, Something unstable or incorrect about the sim.

Check your delay setting for your engine. You still need to set one long enough to allow it to fire after apogee or the sim won't work properly.

Actually, you have quite a few that you need to adjust the delay to a longer setting and rerun them.

Set your delay to 20.0 sec. That will maximize the amount of data for altitude, velocity and acceleration.

Or study the column labeled "Optimal Delay" and adjust accordingly by engine. That's what I do.

If you are flying with altimeter deployment, you can choose the longest delay for the motor, or use the delay "P" for plugged.

Kevin

in your openrocket file, check you chute time, make sure it's a apogee..
I had some that were at motor burn, and I was only getting 1000 ft in sim.
I change that chute time to apogee and it simmed to 12K ft

I have attached the ORK file had to delete all but two motors to get it to upload.

I will go through all the responses and try to find out what's wrong and correct it.

Russ, you were correct the Chute setting's were not correct, It is now working properly.

However, Please continue to respond to all the mis-steps I have taken in this simulation.
I need all the guidance I can get.

Thanks again
Ron

View attachment hyperloc835with38mm.ork

Last edited:
Only problem I saw was with the "discontinuity" error. Apparently your motor retainer was causing that issue. I moved it to the MMT. Seems ok now. Your veloicty with the drogue deployed is a little fast but other than that it seems ok.

Last edited:
Kevin/Kruegon
You suggested to "Set delay for the motor, or use the delay "P" for plugged" I can not find where this change can be made. Any suggestions, I know it's probably right in my face but can't see it. VBG

Ron

Kevin/Kruegon
You suggested to "Set delay for the motor, or use the delay "P" for plugged" I can not find where this change can be made. Any suggestions, I know it's probably right in my face but can't see it. VBG

Ron

When you select your motor, there is a pull down menu right below the motor shown at top of page. You can use what's there or type in your own delay. I always use something greater than ideal for DD.

I've been using Openrocket to help refine my Mind-Sim capabilities.:) I always had Mind-Sim, but having OR is mighty beneficial to my 100% success rate at this hobby.
Even failures become Victories in this sport, as we can all learn from each others mistakes.
I'll be pretty excited if I ever have a stability malfunction captured on Video to share with you all.
My Rockets are ALL stable because that is the RULE!

Found it Tim, appreciate the assistance, couldn't get the program to take the p, P or "P" the pull down menu listed (0, 6, 10, 14) but it would take the 20 entered with keyboard so went with that.

Ron

Latest posts

Back