Aerocon Systems white 60" pilot parachute.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Aerocon sells a 60" chute for $12.00. A Top Flight 58" chute is ~$32. That's quite a discrepancy. Anyone have any experience with the Aerocon?

It's a heavy duty chute designed for military use. It's prob 2x heavier than the Top Flight, and 2x or 3x bulkier. The lines are much more substantial, prob where most of the xtra weight is. I have 2 and they are tough, and inexpensive. Just have to deal with the extra weight and bulk.

I used them. Fairly nice once you cut the cable off. I did have them hang up in 4in rockets. The shroud lines are thick.

I agree with Joe...I also have (3) 42" flare chutes which might be a better choice. The lines aren't as bulky which in turn reduces the weight of the chute. The 60" chutes also deflates when its on the ground so you won't be chasing your rocket when its on the ground.

I used the 36" and they work great...lots of drag

The 66" is likely the best deal in rocketry. $12 for a very high quality chute. I've used this for up to 12-13# rockets. Reliable deployment, strong construction, amazing price.

The lines are braided fiberglass that can fray a little bit, but it's the best deal out there. Period.

Love them! I dyed one of mine. I haven't had any problems with it hanging up in a 4" tube.

IMGP5200.JPG

P1090818.JPG

P1090820.JPG

P1060045.JPG

P1060046.JPG

Love them! I dyed one of mine. I haven't had any problems with it hanging up in a 4" tube.

All in the packing. I rolled it up and wrapped the lines around the chute and it was tight with Nomex. Too tight. I pack them now with the lines not rolled around the chute.

I think I ordered 6-7 of them because they had a volume discount.

Looks like a cool chute, and cheap too. I've got a new Warlock and am not too crazy about the color of the stock chute. Maybe I could get one of these dye it a nice color. And a 7.5" airframe should be enough room even if it is bulky.

What are fiberglass lines line? I've never heard of that. Are there any issues with fiberglass lines?

I've dyed the chutes with Orange, yellow, red and purple and they look great! Use RIT liquid dye. You can order it online and have more selection or most craft stores carry it

I got the reefed 36" chute instead. It was said to have the same drag as a 44" chute. It's also 1/10th the weight of the 60" chute as well.

I've dyed the chutes with Orange, yellow, red and purple and they look great! Use RIT liquid dye. You can order it online and have more selection or most craft stores carry it

I used Rit liquid dye on mine. A whole bottle. They sell it at WalMart.

You have to boil the mixture and let the chute soak it up for a couple hours until it cools. I rinse with cold water to lock in the color. I'm happy with white. Chutes that big are pretty easy to spot

You have to boil the mixture and let the chute soak it up for a couple hours until it cools. I rinse with cold water to lock in the color. I'm happy with white. Chutes that big are pretty easy to spot

Yeah, I was lazy and didn't boil it, just used hot water. You're right, un-dyed, they're a brilliant white, and show up well in the sky.

Actually for nylon you may want to use acid dyes. The way it works is you cook the cloth in a mixture of the dye and an acid such as citric acid. It will fix to nylon a lot better than RIT dyes.

I love the $ 12 dollar Aerocon chute they are the best value I have found. I haven't had any problems in 4 inch rockets. Someone said they used them in a 12 lbs rocket I have used them on in a 14 lbs many times and it worked great. They seem to be more efficient than many others. They take the dye great. I have used hot wax were the lines attach to the chute to prevent the dye from walking up them during the dye process it works well.

With the lines to save space or packing just bundle sections and lightly tape them to hold in place. When the chute opens and the drag and weight of the rocket will break the tape apart.

Do you mean the 60 inch parachute? The chute takes up a lot of space, In a 3" tube it needs a very long airframe in order to fit.

The 60" military chute from Aerocon is the best parachute deal in the hobby. The chute is extremely robust and packs quite compactly when compared to TAC-9, Rocketman, or Skyangle. The #1 downfall to it is that the lines are fiberglass and can shed a bit, but it works GREAT.

Ditto everyone! Love them. I have used them in several birds, never an issue with the chute. Such a value.

Another thread about this chute mentioned that the fabric on this chute has no UV protection and prolonged exposure will cause the chute to degrade.

Likely that would be over a significant number years for most folks, given the amount of time a chute sees daylight in the hobby.

There are UV protectant spray on materials that you can apply if you are so inclined. Otherwise, don't hang them up in front of the windows in your shop that get any sunlight.

My clothe sees more sunlight and they lasts for years

Your clothes are not made out of the same material as these disposable military chutes that are intended to degrade after being used for their original purpose. And, if your clothes happen to be made of a nylon like material, it is a safe bet that the fabric is treated with a UV blocker.

My understanding is that untreated nylon thread degrades faster than you might think in UV.

More on surplus flare chutes and UV (mostly, not an issue)

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?126856-Flare-parachute-redux&p=1472953#post1472953

Last edited:
Aerocon has some of the best deal in parachutes you can find, but you need to know there are 2 different 60" parachutes.

https://aeroconsystems.com/cart/all-parachutes/60-inch-pilot-parachute-green/white/

and

https://aeroconsystems.com/cart/all-parachutes/60-inch-white-parachute/

Both are $12. The latter is the flare parachute with fiberglass lines, while the former is a pilot parachute with nylon lines and a heavier construction.

The flare parachutes are very compact and pack as well as any parachute out there. I really like them, and the above page tells how to dye them.

I haven't used the pilot chute, but it's probably a drogue chute used to pull out a much larger main chute on some military system. It certainly could be used as a drogue chute on a very big project as well as a main on a 10-12 pound rocket.

You can go wrong with either, but the flare chute is what you would use for a 3" rocket as it packs very well.

Bob

Does anyone who has used one of these in a 14lbs or heavier rocket have some descent rate info? I'm curious as I may get one of these.

Does anyone who has used one of these in a 14lbs or heavier rocket have some descent rate info? I'm curious as I may get one of these.

I've used it in up to 12# rockets with no issue. May be a little small for a 14# rocket. I assume you mean your 4" Frenzy...too small.

I've used it in up to 12# rockets with no issue. May be a little small for a 14# rocket. I assume you mean your 4" Frenzy...too small.

Yup my frenzy. Flying it on the 19th and I still need some laundry for it. I'll probably just end up going the normal bright green top flight chutes I use for almost everything.

Back