To MDRA members: how high is "too high" at Central Sod?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
MDRA gang,

One of my next rocketry goals is to break the two mile altitude mark. On a calm day, is it reasonable to expect to do that at Central, or should I set my sights on the return to Higgs' in the fall?

Thanks for any advice.

I am always amazed at how breezy it tends to be over there even when it is calm here. I don't have much experience with dual deploy, however, my opinion is to build your rocket, line up your motor and bring other stuff in case it is not calm enough. There will be a bunch of people who will be able to give real time advice. Wind direction is a biggie there.

PS, if yer not gonna go dual, the answer is 'no.' :D

2 miles is a little tall for the sod farm. There are trees that are closer than the higgs property.

The highest I've gone at the sod farm is about 4500 ft. That was a mistake I won't make again.

It's probably best to hold off until the fall for a 2 mile flight.

+1 for the above. Typically you do not want to go above 4K ft. Wind always seems to be blowing toward the trees, although sometime it does go down toward the long end of the field. I also agree with Dick, bring a couple of different motors and see what the conditions are like when you get there.

You could plead your case with the MDRA Board ,, but a 2 mile flight at Central Sod is not
likely to be approved in my opinion. Not likely at all. Usually we cap flights there at about
4,000 feet or so. The proximity to the highway(rte 301) is the real risk, and its a risk thats not worth taking.
Wait for Higgs would be my suggestion...and maybe get a few consecutive(and successful) flights
in the 3-4,000 range in the mean time if the wind permits.

As I recall it's also true that Central Sod's neighbors are not very excited about having rockets land on their property.

Thanks for all the info. I will wait for Higgs. Why on earth do we boast a 17k' waiver at Central?

Thanks for all the info. I will wait for Higgs. Why on earth do we boast a 17k' waiver at Central?

Thats a fair question. I'll ask Bob at the meeting tonight. It probably has more to
do with convenience than anything else..ie, the club wants the option to go that
high..but then when Bob calls in ( and activates)the waiver before the launch
starts...he chooses what the waiver will actually be for that weekend, depending
on location and expected weather. At the Sod farm I believe its usually set at 4-5,000 ft.
At Higgs, usually much higher.

John,,
For sure,,
Get the particular rocket dialed in before attempting a flight that high.....
For me,, that's a good 3 or 4 flights where everything works exactly as intended....
Now that said,,,,
I don't believe the waiver at Central is that high.....
I could definitely be wrong but I thought it was 5K.........
That's the same as the waiver for The Radical Rocketeers in Great Meadows New Jersey......
And you certainly wouldn't want too invoke any problems with the neighbors anyway.......
You're better off at Higgs,,, by far.....

Teddy

LDRS has a 22k waiver at the end of June, in Potter, NY.
Well worth the trip if you can swing it.

JD

I suspect that in part it simplifies matters to get the same maximum waiver from the FAA each month than to start trying to file all sorts of different paperwork on a monthly basis, or to possibly have some pilot get annoyed every November and start challenging our 'increase' in waiver altitude.

Makes sense.

BTW, I didn't mean that my next launch was going to be trying for two miles. Just wanted to know when I might set my sites on it. I might be ready by August, but it looks like I will be waiting until October or November.

As for LDRS, I do very much wish I could go. But the family has a big, expensive vacation planned for this summer, and I just can't hack it financially. A true bummer.

I've drifted into the trees with a 3,300' apogee. If the wind is blowing toward or away from 313, limit the altitude. Length of the field wind will permit higher altitudes.

We have had the same altitude waiver, "up" to 17,000', at both Higgs and the Sod Farm for well over 15 years. Depending on the conditions when the waiver is called in, the FAA can make the call based on the cloud cover. At the Sod Farm we may restrict the altitudes even more depending on the conditions and the wind direction. We have lots of experience with the trees and the neighbors around the Sod Farm, so what ever decision we make it is the interest of the land owner first, the neighbors second, the club third and the flier last. Without the first two we don't have the third and there will be no opportunity for the fourth.

There is no one project so important that we are willing to loose the field for one flight. A 10,000' flight at the Sod Farm is guaranteed not to end well, even with a perfect recovery. I have been as high as 9,500' there and the rocket was recovered over a mile away....without a drogue in almost windless conditions......it was a total PITA to recover and I will never go over 3,000' there again.......think thrust to weight.....you can fly bigger motors without going to the moon........

Not to mention the dozens of rockets that end up in the trees....which can cost you as much as $300.00 to get back, as only an insured tree climber is allowed into the neighbors trees at both Higgs and the Sod Farm. As others have mentioned watch the weather and plan your Sod Farm fights accordingly. Be ready to adapt to the conditions at the field and you will go home with all your rockets and be a happy camper.

Neil

:flyingpig:

We have had the same altitude waiver, "up" to 17,000', at both Higgs and the Sod Farm for well over 15 years. Depending on the conditions when the waiver is called in, the FAA can make the call based on the cloud cover. At the Sod Farm we may restrict the altitudes even more depending on the conditions and the wind direction. We have lots of experience with the trees and the neighbors around the Sod Farm, so what ever decision we make it is the interest of the land owner first, the neighbors second, the club third and the flier last. Without the first two we don't have the third and there will be no opportunity for the fourth.

There is no one project so important that we are willing to loose the field for one flight. A 10,000' flight at the Sod Farm is guaranteed not to end well, even with a perfect recovery. I have been as high as 9,500' there and the rocket was recovered over a mile away....without a drogue in almost windless conditions......it was a total PITA to recover and I will never go over 3,000' there again.......think thrust to weight.....you can fly bigger motors without going to the moon........

Not to mention the dozens of rockets that end up in the trees....which can cost you as much as $300.00 to get back, as only an insured tree climber is allowed into the neighbors trees at both Higgs and the Sod Farm. As others have mentioned watch the weather and plan your Sod Farm fights accordingly. Be ready to adapt to the conditions at the field and you will go home with all your rockets and be a happy camper.

Neil

:flyingpig:

Well said......
There is no flight worth the risk of the entire clubs future flying opportunity.........

Teddy

Back