38mm favorites

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
I love 38mm motors and regularly fly them in my 54mm birds as well as those intended. The versatility, especially as the motors get longer, is awesome. As I daydream before my first launch at Helm with TCC, what are the favorites everyone else has?

I probably like the I236 blue and J290 white the best. Recently I got some Rouse casings and cannot wait to try the J340 and J350.

So far my favorite is a DMS, the I280DM. ~1.6 seconds of sparky, and a pretty loud roar off the pad also. It was the first motor I threw in my 4" Excel DD, as much because I didn't want to put a casing at risk on the maiden flight (nevermind that there was about $300 of electronics in it), but also because it's my favorite motor so far. It was the first motor I sim'ed on the Go Devil 38 I'm about to start building, though OR says that's almost 8000' at Mach 1.25, so I'll very likely go with something (much) smaller for that rocket's first flight. :)

The second flight on the Excel was the I297SK, a pretty equivalent motor on the CTI side (Pro38-5G). The third launch was a J350W but that flight ended with a splat (I call it my J350W-∞).

In general I'm aiming to try as many different motors as I can, the I280DM and the I500T are the only ones I've bought more than once so far (and I've probably bought like 5 of the I280DM, 2 of the I500T mainly because I didn't have any cases at the time so I did I280DM/I500T one launch, then I280DM/I140W/I500T the next launch). The I280DM is the only DMS I've flown since getting my AT/CTI cases.

I personally love the DMS H550 SBT. An awesome, high thrust motor!

My favorites:

AT J420R, J500G and Loki I405LW, J396SF

David

My favorite to sim AT J510 , darkstar jr has flown it once , results was less than perfect lol , at burn out nose cone went faster than booster tube

I have the load here ready to go again

I really like the I303 I flew in my Frenzy (see attached). I297 also rocks, and I can't wait to fly some I540s at TCC's Dairy Aire.

frenzyI303.jpg

I choose the 405 but I have to admit the J 1000 rocks somthing awful, even though I have only burned one, it is the bees knees!

TA

I have only flown two, and I loved both of them. CTI I223 Skidmark and J400SS. The J400 in the video launches around 27 seconds in.

[video=youtube;CMvN7hJqWac]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMvN7hJqWac[/video]

Im a big fan of the loki H144. It's the I405's little brother.

Another nod to the Loki H144-W (though it does seem a tad more difficult to ignite than some other whites).

Another one I always get a kick from is the AT I284-W.

s6

I only own AT hardware in 38mm and my favorite loads are the White Lightening, any size from H123W to the J350W. I don't have the 1080 case.

With that said, I flew a Loki I110 moonburner for my L1 cert flight with the 4.2 second burn time, it was great and I still have a sweet spot for that motor. I also really like the I1299N-P Warp-9 load I flew a couple times in my L1 rocket. +4000 ft with a 0.3 second burn time and +80G is very different and impressive!

I agree, 38mm is a great size for motors!

My only 38 so far was the G339N, although I plan to change that very soon, and that was a helluva fun motor to fly. It kicked Redshift in the pants like nobody's business, and teleported it to 2100 ft. On a G!

Nate

CTI I540WT (634Ns 98% I) Took my 9lb Jericho to 2226ft, and the J316 Pink took my 4" patriot on one heck of a boost to 3611ft
Have to say that Pink was Loud and Fast.

AT J510W is just an epic load.
AT J500G is a sweet green.

I'm looking forward to flying the Loki K1127 and J1026 this summer.

14041097201_d7180ed17c.jpg
10010200234_677904a18a.jpg

[youtube]BtcUtyDzIjM[/youtube]

Last edited:
Depends on the rocket. For smallish I motors I really like the At I245 green. For larger I really like the At J570.

If I had funds right now though I would plunk down my cash on a Lokk 38-1200 motor and a couple K1127 and J1000 loads. Badass motors.

I 180 is the one I fly the most of in 38mm --kids love that, and it kicks up the Minie Magg, my DRM, and King Kraken well for launches at the sod farm. The 175W, too. I also enjoyed the I-350. I don't think I've ever flown a 38mm J. Or a G. I might have to try one of those... Will likely fly a 38mm G before a 38mm J. I like the 54mm J's better as a general rule, because they typically have longer burn times.

Later!

--Coop

Thanks fr the props guys on the Loki Research 38's. I can't take credit for your favorites though. I can only take credit for carrying on Jeff Taylor's legacy of designing and making these great reloads.

It got me curious though. I looked up the sales for the last 5 & 10. The 10 year point is a little skewed since Loki White was the only propellants available for the first 2 years or so. To my surprise, in the last 5 years, the H-144 was the best selling Loki Research reload, followed by the I-405. I could have sworn it was the other way around.

In more recent years however, the story is a bit different. Due to all the new reloads to hit the market, things have changed a bit, so I thought I'd look at some more recent historical records.
Since Jan 1st, 2012 these are the top five 38mm Loki Research Reloads.

1) H-144 White
2) H-160 Blue
3) I-405 White
4) G-80 White
5) I-430 Blue

In common among 4 of these 5 reloads is, you don't have to pay any hazmat to get them shipped to you. Another thing to mention, in each respective case size, Loki White is the most popular propellant type.

Best in show, Loki Research 38mm reloads, hands down, the J-1000 Loki White, displayed here in Chris Shorts 46" long, 3" diameter Bomb Pop rocket Kit at LDRS 30. Photo Credit to Rockets Magazine.
https://s25.photobucket.com/user/SmokeinJoe/media/Loki%20Research/J1000LW_cropped.jpg.html

I'm going to be flying my first 38's at Dairy Aire, and I'm trying to decide right now what they are going to be.

The rocket is a Warlock that is weighing in right now at 106 oz (6.6 pounds) without the motor, but that is before paint, so it will be heavier. I'm planning on doing an L2 cert flight, and I think I will probably try it on a J290 and get the 5-grain case with the CTI cert special. But before I fly the cert flight, I want to do a test flight on the never-flown Warlock, probably a 3-grain I, or maybe a 4-grain. I want it low so I can see how well the delays are matching the sims. Anyone have a favorite CTI 38mm 3-grain that they think would work well for a Warlock?

After the test flight and cert flight, I'm probably going to drag race SCrocketfan and his Warlock on matched motors, either I297 or I540. Yeah!

3-grain CTI? I-345 sounds about right for the Warlock...

Later!

--Coop

For the L2 on a CTI five Grain I would go J345 Blue. Short, stubby rockets go on high thrust motors as a general rule. Kick them hard. The J290 would work too, but I like the higher thrust.

For the L2 on a CTI five Grain I would go J345 Blue. Short, stubby rockets go on high thrust motors as a general rule. Kick them hard. The J290 would work too, but I like the higher thrust.

Maybe I should just go up a grain size to 6 grains for the cert flight and 4 grains for the test flight. This is why salespeople like me. I tend to up-sell myself.

I could do the cert flight on the 6 grain J354 White for a flight to about 1,650 feet according to Thrustcurve's pick-a-motor thingy. Drag Race on the 5 grain I540 White Thunder. And then pick a 4 grain in a different propellant for the test flight. Any favorite 4 grain motors?

3-grain CTI? I-345 sounds about right for the Warlock...

Later!

--Coop

That was the one that caught my eye too. But I'm flying White Thunder in the drag race, so I want to pick something else for the test flight. Now I'm thinking of going to 4 grains for the test.

Back