MAC Performance Rocketry New Kits Released

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to fix the specs on your 4.0" Zodiac kit.
Tubing lists:

34" x 3" canvas phenolic booster tube
20" x 3" canvas phenolic payload tube
75mm x 16" kraft phenolic motor tube

JD

What is "canvas phenolic"?

Well, from their website:
The first thing you will notice is the lack of spiral groves. The tubes are convolute wound with a smooth finish. They cut, drill and sand like wood, and accept epoxy very well. They are strong, water resistant, thermally stable, and half the weight of fiberglass. Our tubes will fly Mach with no additional reinforcing.

I’m sure there is more to it than that, but sounds like much more heavier-duty than paper tubes (close to fiberglass?) but much lighter than fiberglass, with some pretty nice gluing and finishing properties.

Too bad I’m tapped out after paying my taxes!

Mikes kits are very well made, I am about half way through his 3" Arcas Kit and everything fits like a glove. I will be posting pics of the build soon.

Canvas phenolic is a course weave cotton fabric based phenolic laminate with much greater mechanical strength than Kraft phenolics (paper). It is extremely strong, has high impact strength and is waterproof. The tubes are convolute wound over mandrel which eliminates the spiral groves. The tube in the picture is 57" long and 3.0 in diameter. For weight comparison, a 48" length of our canvas phenolic tube weighs 23.04 oz. I weigh 220 lbs. Fly Canvas!
Mike Sitting on Tube.jpg
What is "canvas phenolic"?

I placed an order on the 15th for the 4 inch Skyscraper and found it on my door-step today. I'm looking forward to getting a build started on this rocket. I have a few items I need to secure yet ( one of them being time). At a quick review I was impressed with the quality of the kit. Tubes are fantastic, as well as rings and fins. Everything is fit nicely and components look very professional. 🍻

I'm amazed at how light it is so I'm looking forward to see if I can do 38mm I's to 75mm K's. I need to put together a Rocsim file first as I'm thinking you could bust a few waivers with this kit.

If I was asked what to change with what I've seen and gotten with kit, it would be the eyebolts. I'm usually a forged guy or at least welded closed. Having said that- with the light weight, proper ejection charge, and long shock cords- maybe you don't need closed eyebolts. I'll have too ponder that one for a bit.

+1

Ordered a kit on Friday and received it yesterday. Very impressed by the tubing and overall quality of the components!

Stop me if I am wrong... but this looks extremly like the good old Pertinax or Krupax tubing I still use here in Germany. A fantastic material developped over 100 years ago before plastics and used as isolation material at the time. Right or wrong? I love that stuff. But it is extremly ..unhealthy to breath the dust of it when you process it (drill, cut, sand etc..).

By the way the kits are looking extremly good :)
D.

Canvas phenolic is a course weave cotton fabric based phenolic laminate with much greater mechanical strength than Kraft phenolics (paper). It is extremely strong, has high impact strength and is waterproof. The tubes are convolute wound over mandrel which eliminates the spiral groves. The tube in the picture is 57" long and 3.0 in diameter. For weight comparison, a 48" length of our canvas phenolic tube weighs 23.04 oz. I weigh 220 lbs. Fly Canvas!
View attachment 261205

I'm not familiar with the older products you are referring to. The canvas phenolic we're using is manufactured in the USA and does not contain hazardous materials. Sometimes I guess you can say looks are deceiving. Fly Canvas! :wink:

Last edited:
Back