RockSim vs OpenRocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
So I've designed my rocket. I've loaded it exactly the same. The two files are identical. The sims are not. They are 700ft different in apogee. And 44fps different. Any explanation on this?

None. They sim out to the same dimensions. Same weight. Same everything. I'll be home in an hour. I can upload the rkt and ork files if you want a peek at them. Also might not hurt to get a second opinion on the build out.

It might be due to the launch conditions - wind, launch rail length, etc.

I actually get very accurate results from RockSim. But it's a pretty old version. That's why I'd like to use OpenRocket. It's more updates but the sims seem pretty far off.

In my experience Openrocket is very accurate, more accurate than either Rocksim or RASAero, even for supersonic flights. You have to get the surface finish and fin cross section parameters correct, though.

So I've designed my rocket. I've loaded it exactly the same. The two files are identical. The sims are not. They are 700ft different in apogee. And 44fps different. Any explanation on this?

More information needed.

700 ft is what percentage of apogee? If it is 700 out of 7000, then don't worry about. That's normal.

Subsonic or supersonic?

Is the motor data the same? Not just "H128" or whatever. Is every thrust vs. time point the same?

etc.

More information needed.

700 ft is what percentage of apogee? If it is 700 out of 7000, then don't worry about. That's normal.

Subsonic or supersonic?

Is the motor data the same? Not just "H128" or whatever. Is every thrust vs. time point the same?

etc.

Subsonic. AeroTech I285R. 685 ft/s in RockSim, 654 ft/s in open Rocket. The exact same thrustcurve .eng file was loaded into both programs. I have made them as identical as the programs allow.

The rocket itself is exactly identical.

Apogee is 3439 ft in RockSim, 2762 ft in OpenRocket. 677 ft difference. That's almost exactly 20% less in OpenRocket than in RockSim.

So, I'm open to theories about the difference.

View attachment Estes #3217 Vagabond 3.0 54mm Upscale.rkt
View attachment Estes #3217 Vagabond 3.0 54mm Upscale.ork

Yes, per original design. But I've debated a rounded leading edge.

Subsonic. AeroTech I285R. 685 ft/s in RockSim, 654 ft/s in open Rocket. The exact same thrustcurve .eng file was loaded into both programs. I have made them as identical as the programs allow.

The rocket itself is exactly identical.

Apogee is 3439 ft in RockSim, 2762 ft in OpenRocket. 677 ft difference. That's almost exactly 20% less in OpenRocket than in RockSim.

So, I'm open to theories about the difference.

View attachment 260941
View attachment 260942

Probably the drag model, then.

This correlation/simulation stuff can drive you mad. Sometimes you have to say screw it and just go fly the damn rocket.

Override the RockSim Cd setting to .8 or so and you'll get a more realistic number.

If you want to find out for sure, come on up to an MC2/HARA launch this summer in Manchester, TN, and stick an altimeter in it. It's only a few hours drive, the field can definitely handle either of those apogees, and, of course, rockets.

Back