Launch Video post 11 Katana-- Textbook Rocket 2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Long day getting these done and in da box. Ship out tomorrow. I will post more pics of the build, just wanted to show finished product. Again, made out of textbook covers.Katana 08.jpgKatana 07.jpgKatana 06.jpgKatana 05.jpgKatana 04.jpgKatana 03.jpgKatana 02.jpgKatana 01.jpg

Last edited:
That's an amazing upcycled textbook rocket, Tom. Great job!

Looking forward to seeing it during Earth Day Kick-Off festival @ Space Center Houston on April 18th.

And, of course, can't wait to see it launch there, too!

Hope to see and meet some TRF members in person.

Katana Prep

Katana is a bit unusual in that the long nose cone section (which is wider than the posterior section (from this point called the motor/fin section) and fits around it) is used for storage of the parachute.
There are "stops" built on the outside of the posterior section to prevent the nose section from "ramming" down over the motor/fin section at launch. There is plenty of room in the motor/fin section for wadding (cellulose insulation aka dog barf recommended.)
There are two shock cords. One from the nose cone to the chute, and the second from the chute to the motor/fin section. The nose cone shock cord is attached at the apex of the nose cone and runs down the full length of the nose cone section internally. It is INTENTIONALLY longer than the shroud lines. The nose cone section length is INTENTIONALLY longer than the 1/2 width of the parachute. The internal walls of the nose cone section are smoother than a baby's bottom, so the chute slides in (and more important OUT) easily.

Launch Prep

Launch prep should occur preferably immediately prior to launch to keep things "loose."

I would load the engine and igniter into the rocket before the rest of the packing. Since the nose cone section is heavy, if you are not careful and load the recovery section first and you turn the rocket over, the nose cone section with fall off and deploy the chute.
So you are best putting the rocket on the launch rod right after you load the recovery system.

stuff the nose cone shock cord into the nose cone. This will be the most forward part of the recovery equipment.

Parachute preparation is to fold in 1/2, then 1/4, then 1/8 (this will line up all the EIGHT shroud line attachments). Then place the shroud lines along the length of the chute (from attachment to apex) and fold another 1/16. You should now have a long narrow triangle the height of which is 1/2 the chute diameter. This should roll up a bit lengthwise and EASILY slide into the nose cone section apex first. There is plenty of room in this nose section both length and diameter wise to hold this. Do not "stuff" it.
The remaining shock cord from motor/fin section should go in last aft of the parachute (it will be "on top" with you holding the nose cone section tip down for loading.)

Fill the motor/fin section with dog barf and slide the nose cone section over the forward edge of the motor/fin section. There should be plenty of room. The nose cone section with slide back over the motor/fin section until it reaches the stops.

Again remember, this is a VERY loose nose cone fit, so make sure you keep the nose up from this point out or you are HOLDING the two sections together.

The point of the order of loading here is for successful deployment. At ejection the charge will separate the motor/fin section and the nose cone SECTION in opposite directions with considerable momentum. The momentum will pull the posterior shock cord out of the nose section, followed by the chute, followed by the forward shock cord. When I dry tested this at first I had a forward shock cord SHORTER than the shroud lines. The forward shock cord came out first and the parachute was left in the nose cone section. This rocket is a bit heavy for "nose blow" recovery.

As a safety measure, I have bent the tail end of the engine hook so it is not pointed down. Even though it is not all that "sharp", I have never liked the idea of that tip coming down and possibly hitting someone since the rocket descends tail first.

Straight Trails!

Tom

We did recieve your rocket, thanks for participating! Hoping for clear skies tomorrow! -Space Center Houston

I would love to see You Tube links of all the flights that took place that day.

John Boren

[video=vimeo;126266219]https://vimeo.com/126266219[/video]

Here is link

[video=vimeo;126266219]https://vimeo.com/126266219[/video]

Here is the Katana launch video. I think this might make Capn Low and Slow proud!
Something unique about this rocket (other than the fact that it is made of textbook covers and kind of a brick) is the storage of the chute in the nose section (I guess other rockets have mid section separation, but in this case the chute is in the anterior section). Video shows the deployment of the chute "pulling out" of the nose cone section really well about 30 seconds into the video. I was pretty happy with the way this works. Note the nose cone/section being made out of textbook covers has a lot of mass and therefore inertia, which helps with the chute deployment.

Last edited:
Back