Openrocket 15.03 not "really" saving in Win 7 64 bit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMR

Reaction score
Hi,
After trying out this latest version of OR and updating to the latest Java version, all is well, except for one thing! Openrocket 15.03 isn't really writing or overwriting my .ork files. It does SAVE the files "inside the program" because after closing and reopening OR, the new or modified .ork files are available in the File / Open & Open Recent dropdowns. But, on this Win 7 64 bit machine, the files are not visible in Windows Explorer.
Then I tried the previous version again, and it can't find any files created by the newer version and opens any old but newly modified .ork file saved by 15.03 but without the modifications. It looks like 15.03 is saving the files, but doesn't really write it to the hard drive. I want to be able to back up my folder of saved files or maybe attach an .ork file to an email or forum post, but they are NOT there on the HDD.

Can someone verify this? Open 15.03 and load any .ork file, then try "Save As" to some other location(Desktop). Now see if it is really there(visible) in Win explorer.

I also get a "Uncaught Exception" bug report window if I open the "Select a rocket motor" window, then click on the "Designation" tab. No big deal there.

Thanks!

Oh boy, you have a problem with your computer, not Windows 64x fault. my workstation and my laptop save all my .ork

if the problem is with the Desktop location, press "F5" your computer is not refreshing or you may have a more serious problem.

look I made one yesterday with 15.03

ork_zpsjgcbtgii.jpg

Last edited:
The newer version is probably saving them to a different location. It may have reverted back to the default save location or now uses a different save location. That happens from time to time when programs are updated. Pay attetion to the location or path when you save your ork files. Your new files will be at that location and your older ones won't be. Another simple way to find the location would be to do a search. When the file is found, right click the file and select "Open File Location". The files location or path will be in the address bar.

Let me know if you find em or not.
Mike

Thanks for the replies Mike & Area66!
It was in fact MY computer. I restored an image, brought my pc up to date. FIXED. Now using 15.03 successfully. That was strange.

Computers have witch inside their mind ..... that's my conclusion after so may years repairing them...... lol of course not, peoples install way too much crapware a good cleaning fix everything.

Agreed. I build my own puters and install only what is needed. Don't need too many programs running in the background and antivirus programs are some of the worst adware you can install. Of course some puters simply run on smoke and when you see the smoke supply escape, they quit. LOL.

Agreed. I build my own puters and install only what is needed. Don't need too many programs running in the background and antivirus programs are some of the worst adware you can install. Of course some puters simply run on smoke and when you see the smoke supply escape, they quit. LOL.

Some of mine over the years must have gotten bang dust in the system, twice I have had capacitors on the PSU explode and both times I was sitting next to the computer when it happened. Its amazing how loud they are when they let go, only damaged parts were the PSU and the Motherboards, all the other stuff migrated to a fresh machine. I also build my own comps, only real mistake I have made was Win8 on my current one, but with enough mods its hard to tell from Win7 only it boots faster. I dont believe in restoring images/harddrives, nuke the bugger (format) and re-install, thats why I have a reliable back up system for things that have to be saved, ie family photos and the like.

Last edited:
So anyway, as it turns out, the ACTUAL root of the odd behavior I was having, was my free Anti Virus program(Comodo Internet Security).
I was wondering what the thin green border was around OR's GUI whenever I opened it. I thought it was a new feature of OR(doh!)
The green border is letting the user know that the app is open (in what Comodo calls) "The Sandbox". Anything open In The Sandbox is under scrutiny and limited in Permissions...like writing/saving to HDD.
I just now right clicked on the OR shortcut and selected "open in Sandbox", there was the green border, and I was able to replicate the Saving of .ork files problem.

I didn't really RESTORE an image to fix this. I instead used Comodo Time Machine to restore to a Snapshot taken a 2 weeks earlier. Why it was running in the Sandbox I don't know, but restoring the snapshot fixed it.
Thanks Comodo...lol....the Cause & the Solution. You get what you pay for in free AV I guess. No big deal.

Anyhow, I'm sure I'll be back with more silly Q's someday. Great Forum!

Have a great Rocketry Season!

Back