Fin shaping/Air foiling

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am an on again, off again BAR who is currently on again. Let me start by saying that I absolutely SUCK at air foils. Most of the time I just don't do them but some models just don't look right without them. My question is this; When doing airfoils on regular shaped fins I get it. I am currently building an Estes Interceptor and the Fins (wings, etc) have multiple angles. I am not sure how to blend the airfoil from one angle to another? Any tips, tutorials, suggestions, diagrams, magic spells, etc. would be very appreciated!. I hope my question makes sense.
Thanks!
Andy

I might have a little experience with those Interceptors. I know the areas your talking about and they can be tricky. Here's how I've handled it. On the main wing/fin, simply round over the leading edge of the strake--that long thin part that runs up the bt. Easy enough, now the trick is to make the area where it meets the wing look good. Best I've found is to block sand the wings leading edge down using the same angle as the strake as a guide. In the end you should have a bit sharper leading edge on the wing than the strake and the strake will appear to blend into the wing a half inch or so into it. This will maintain that nice crisp angle where they meet. If you try and round them to match your likely headed for trouble and you'll futz around with the area until it's a mess. As far as the tail surfaces go, because of the angle where the two parts join, you can pretty well just round over the leading edges. You need to sand parallel to the root. in the end they should match up nicely. You might need to surface sand just a tick behind the joint to smooth out any little high spot. I've never really been fond of those forward swept tail feathers. On most of mine I flip them around. All this said , I tend to modify every Interceptor I get my hands on. There are some really good pics of Interceptors in the Gallery, they may help a little. Here's a couple of mine--again modified but the basics are the same as are the trouble area your talking about---DSCF0032.JPG--the white one is for static display only--DSCF0494.jpgDSCF0498.jpg---H

Back