5.5 inch all FG Iris

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertv2

Reaction score
GOPR1137.jpgGOPR1139.jpgGOPR1143.jpg
This is a joint project with Marlin Philyaw, a friend and legend in Texas HPR. He is serving a an informal advisor on my L3 8 inch Pike and this is so I can learn some old school ideas from him as he got to use some of the details I will use on the Pike. If you don't know Marlin the phrase that best describes him is " If he walked in to a junkyard with enough tools he would walk out with a Saturn V " . This project is parallel to my L3 but I think it deserves its own thread. The fins and interlocking rings are from CNC upscale and the 3D printed scale details are from Landeu . The thrust plate is SCP and the FG parts and alum av-bay lids are from Madcow. The nose has 104 holes drilled, tapped and countersunk for #4 screws just for looks and yes he is making the booster.

Last edited:
Those fins are Big! Be interesting to see where CP will be. Looking forward to watching the build.

Thanks,I will be checking out your site for more ideas on the interstage.

Those fins are Big! Be interesting to see where CP will be. Looking forward to watching the build.

The size of those fins will induce more drag and more friction, it will lower the CP

Last edited:
new pictures soon but things like rail buttons and other holes drilled . It is looking really good.

I need to visit here more often. Great looking rocket! Geez, those holes drilled in the NC must have taken a while. Did you free hand them or set them in a jig with a mill/drill press? Either way it looks really, really, slick!

The Iris is very nearly done and will fly at Balls this Sept. I will get some current pictures next week when I go down to Waco. Marlin plans ground testing charges at Hearne on July 11.

That thing is epic in person. The detail in the little screws and 3D printed fidly bits really make the beast. I look forward to seeing it finished and flying.

That thing is epic in person. The detail in the little screws and 3D printed fidly bits really make the beast. I look forward to seeing it finished and flying.

Thank you, this project has been overshadowed be the 8" Pike but I think it will be awesome when finished and painted. It really has classic lines and a bold paint scheme that says "old school" to me.

Dang, I remember driving by and seeing Marlin but didn't realize he had the IRIS with him. Maybe next time...

Thank you, this project has been overshadowed be the 8" Pike but I think it will be awesome when finished and painted. It really has classic lines and a bold paint scheme that says "old school" to me.

The Pike is beautiful and awe-striking in its scale, but this one just looks so aggressive. Some rockets look fast sitting still, this one is one of them. It has that "instant coffee in a microwave" look someone was telling me about. ;)

Heeyyy, I love the Iris!

This thing is sweet! Looks like you were out at Hearne, right?

I don't necessarily miss that launch site (Jim Jarvis will back me up on that one). But I certainly miss the people down there!

Braden

My 6" FG IRIS' main section comes down nose 1st because the fin areas are so big.
It's long enough to load my 60" 75mm Contrail Hybrid or my 75/7600 Loki motor.

This is a joint project with Marlin Philyaw, a friend and legend in Texas HPR. He is serving a an informal advisor on my L3 8 inch Pike and this is so I can learn some old school ideas from him as he got to use some of the details I will use on the Pike. If you don't know Marlin the phrase that best describes him is " If he walked in to a junkyard with enough tools he would walk out with a Saturn V " .

If you've never met Marlin, then you have missed one of the treats of life. He'll be at Balls. If you've never met him, come by and sit a spell.

And yes, I have a trifecta going for hitting the runway at Hearne.

Jim

Back