Moving to Florida?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kehoes23

Reaction score
A brief history about my family.
We live in NE Pennsylvania, my wife's only family was her dad, my father in law, her mom and step dad moved to Florida over 10 years ago and since then they have been trying to get us to move to Florida, but my wife always said no because her dad had no other family and did not want to move away. Since his passing 4 months ago, the discussion about moving to Florida come up again, we did get back from vacation in Florida, since we were there she was stress free and smiles that I haven't seen on her since we first got together married had kids. I say lets do it and move but she is still reluctant to move, I tried everything to reassure her in every way possible, I know it's scary and a giant move, what can I say to put her mind at ease?, I drive a boom truck for a living and would have no problem finding a job.
Any advice is welcomed how did you put your significant other mind at ease with a big move?
On a side good note, I'll be close to NEFAR and will be a member

There are lost of jobs and warmer weather.

You could drive to Orangeburg, SC. We have a good waiver and 12 launches a year.

There are lost of jobs and warmer weather.

You could drive to Orangeburg, SC. We have a good waiver and 12 launches a year.

Always wanted to attend a launch, if we do move, then I'll be close enough to attend a launch, maybe LDRS when you host or it comes back to orangeburg SC

NEFAR is a great place to fly. I'm a member with the club. Hope thing work out for your family on the move to this awsome state. I'm a native and wouldn't leave here.

We were there last week for our vacation, didn't want to leave and the kids wanted to stay. Now it's time to stop the what ifs and just do it.

Are there any parts of Florida that don't have humid, sweltering heat in the summer? Wifey and I are looking to eventually flee our current state.

I lived in FL for a year, and really enjoyed it. People were really, really nice. However, get ready for some truly awful (at times) weather -- the humidity in the summer is awful. When the rainy season/monsoon season hits, get ready...stepping outside, even for just a moment will result in you getting drenched! Like, "I should have brought soap and shampoo out and killed two birds with one stone" drenched.

Other highlights...lightening strikes! Where I worked, the year before I got there, 3 people were seriously injured by a lightning strike in the parking lot, walking in to work (the parking lot, btw, had a nice little creek with a resident alligator--go Gators!). Also, the local Sam's Club did brisk business selling UPS's, since the lightning strikes regularly (daily, almost) would interrupt you power juuuust long enough that you would have to reset your TV, DVD, microwave, etc., clocks...over and over and over and over...

Oh, and one time I happened to look up and saw in the power lines the most amazingly huge spiders, and spider webs...I was used to seeing tarantula's out in CA, but never webs this size...

In other words, when you are through freezing your butt off in NE PA, Florida would be a nice place, just get ready for a different set of issues. Freezing and being buried in snow won't be one of them...

A brief history about my family.
We live in NE Pennsylvania, my wife's only family was her dad, my father in law, her mom and step dad moved to Florida over 10 years ago and since then they have been trying to get us to move to Florida, but my wife always said no because her dad had no other family and did not want to move away. Since his passing 4 months ago, the discussion about moving to Florida come up again, we did get back from vacation in Florida, since we were there she was stress free and smiles that I haven't seen on her since we first got together married had kids. I say lets do it and move but she is still reluctant to move, I tried everything to reassure her in every way possible, I know it's scary and a giant move, what can I say to put her mind at ease?, I drive a boom truck for a living and would have no problem finding a job.
Any advice is welcomed how did you put your significant other mind at ease with a big move?
On a side good note, I'll be close to NEFAR and will be a member

Hi,
I am, a Florida native, born and raised. You get what you pay for, and there it doesn't pay for anything!
Everyone, has a unique financial situation. Just don't expect anything when things go sour. There are no safety nets anywhere, but geez, they are the worst. The folks have no idea, not a clue, to the degree they have been taken advantage of by the powers that be, squatting there skimming the little money that there is in that state.

Last edited:
Lived on the Space Coast for almost 3 years. It was alright, weather didn't bother me as it was just as humid but not quite as hot as the Midwest. The humidity will take a while for you to get used to, assuming your attitude to it is similar to the Se corner of PA. Be sure you know what you are getting into as far as housing insurance. When I left quite a stretch of what had been considered "inland" was labeled "beach Front" by the insurance companies. Also the cone of doom hurricane forecasting got to me after while. I flew with SRA and they were a pretty good group then hopefully still are.

I think you have the best argument on your side already: there,s no reason to stay. I moved my family from Boston to Houston last year. I had recently sold my company, and my wife was looking for a new job. There was simply no reason to stay, I.e. nothing tieing us down.

I went to school in Florida 30 years ago and still wonder why I haven't made it back. The way I look at - 4 months of heat and humidity or 4-5 months of snow? My job choices are limited so that is a big reason along with family.

Are there any parts of Florida that don't have humid, sweltering heat in the summer? Wifey and I are looking to eventually flee our current state.

Indoors.

-- Roger

?? Provided you have the A/C running full blast !!! Otherwise…don’t bother…

My first memory of Florida….as I was leaving the rental car agency, I thought I was good to go….about a mile or 2 down the road, a torrential monsoon-like storm just unleashed, and I couldn’t figure out how to turn my wipers on! Holy cow, thank god its was so bad, everybody slowed down, and I was able to get over to the side of the road unscathed, and get things sorted out. Now, I don’t ever drive off in a car without figuring that out! They even have signs in front of the toll booths, telling people to turn off their wipers, otherwise you’d be showering the toll collectors (have they all been automated yet?).

My second memory of Florida…as I’m driving, I get hungry, so I stop at a fast food place. As I walk towards the store, I notice that it is so humid out, that you absolutely cannot see through the glass *at all*. As I get closer (since I’m from New Joisey), I’m thinking, “You know, there could be an armed robbery going on right now, inisde the store, and I wouldn’t even have a clue…” Thankfully, it was just business as usual…but that is how humid it gets.

But…how does the saying go? “From water, all life grows….” It is very nice and green there, due to all the humidity, as I can attest to, living out in (getting) brown(-er) California right now.

It is not better in Georgia. I think Georgia is a local native word for hot and humid. Well, either that or giant skeeters.

[video=youtube;y4Eq428U2vU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Eq428U2vU[/video]

New Jersey with palm trees.

Well it's settle, we are moving to Florida, still ironing out the details, not sure when but it will be before the end of the year.
Thank you everyone for your advice and input.

Back