TCC's Dairy Aire 2015 - DA2015 - Rained Out

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those both sound like great motors! I'm up for a drag race. But let me think through a few things about the cert attempt versus buying the 5-grain case and my budget for the launch. Are you placing an order with BAR? I've only bought from him onsite from whatever he has in stock. How early do you think he needs an order to be sure he will have the motors?

Sounds good. I'm probably going to try to meet up with Mike before the launch to pick up most of the motors, and he does allow preorders so I'll probably preorder once I know what motors I'm flying. You can place an order on his site with a "pickup at launch" option and then meet him (at a launch or some other time) to get your order.

Mike only gets CTI shipments a few times a year, so if he doesn't have a motor he probably can't get it in time for Dairy Aire.

Last edited:
I spoke to Mike at BAR on Saturday the 18th, and he said he will be placing an order with CTI on Monday the 20th. If anyone wants to get anything special or not currently in stock for Dairy Aire, it sounds like you should probably order it today.

I spoke to Mike at BAR on Saturday the 18th, and he said he will be placing an order with CTI on Monday the 20th. If anyone wants to get anything special or not currently in stock for Dairy Aire, it sounds like you should probably order it today.
I was thinking about calling him anyway as I've been looking at different motors for my L2 attempt. Good to know that he's placing an order that hopefully will arrive in time for Dairy Aire.

Thanks!

I was thinking about calling him anyway as I've been looking at different motors for my L2 attempt. Good to know that he's placing an order that hopefully will arrive in time for Dairy Aire.

Thanks!

You're welcome. I've got to decide on my cert motor too and get my order in today.

I placed my order today. I'm planning two I540 flights and an I216 long burn in my Frenzy.

This should be a great launch! Looks like there are going to be lots of great flights.

I'm going to boost the Goblin 5.5 on an 38mm I366R for the initial flight and am currently thinking of using a CTI J430 for the level 2 cert flight.

Need to call Mike to make sure he can get me the CTI hardware and motor in time for Dairy Aire.

I'm going to boost the Goblin 5.5 on an 38mm I366R for the initial flight and am currently thinking of using a CTI J430 for the level 2 cert flight.

Need to call Mike to make sure he can get me the CTI hardware and motor in time for Dairy Aire.

Call him soon. I think he is placing his order today. I stopped by yesterday, and everything I wanted for the launch was in stock, so I am set. He still has plenty of stuff in stock, but not everything, so getting your order in today is your best bet. Mike filled me in on why it is so cost prohibitive to make small fill orders from CTI, and why he has to do just a few huge orders a year instead, which means he can get low on certain things between big orders. It turned into a 2-hour conversation. I feel I got off lucky... :wink:

Mike's a great guy. But anyone who can wear me out in a conversation has a problem! Ha ha!

For motors, I got the I345, I540 and J290 for the Warlock. I also picked up some single-use G75-7 metalstorm motors for the night launch. If I bring my other rockets, I'll be pulling from the motor stash I already have, and I'm not sure yet what those will be.

While visiting Mike, I also got a few other items needed for building the night rocket --- kevlar and rail guides. I also got the 38mm 5-grain case for the cert special. Woohoo!

Ordered my LED light setup for the night rocket! 300 LEDs on 5 meters of self-adhesive tape, with a controller that does 5 different patterns. It should be here in a couple of days. I guess I'll need to figure out some kind of battery setup for it.

We also have a LOC Precision "October Skies 2010 Commemorative kit" it's a 39 inches long by 2.56 inch diameter cardboard tube rocket, with 3 plywood thru the wall fins and a parachute. Looks like the Graduator.
Odd you should mention that. I bought one at October Skies in 2010 and ~finally~ started working on it last year...after October Skies 2014. It's been converted to dual deploy and the fin can is in the process of being T2T'd. I'm planning to fly it in October - 5 years after purchase - on an I200W.

Does anyone know how long the launch runs on Sunday? I thought it ended at 1 PM like October Skies...

Lately, I'm thinking about coming down on Friday, launching some, staying overnight at a motel, launching some more on Saturday, and driving home that evening.

Rocketry tourism!

Odd you should mention that. I bought one at October Skies in 2010 and ~finally~ started working on it last year...after October Skies 2014. It's been converted to dual deploy and the fin can is in the process of being T2T'd. I'm planning to fly it in October - 5 years after purchase - on an I200W.
o1d_dude please bring it on by, maybe we could show it off at the raffle table for a while.

Hey guys!

I will be attending Dairy Aire (First time down to TCC's lauches) and attempting my NAR L2 while I'm at it!

Here's a picture of the completed bird, which will fly redundant Stratologger CF's on a K1100 to about ~2450ft , with an 808 #16 and a GoPro Hero 3 for recording purposes:

IMG_0267_zps0xhcp7a4.jpg

Hey guys!

I will be attending Dairy Aire (First time down to TCC's lauches) and attempting my NAR L2 while I'm at it!

Here's a picture of the completed bird, which will fly redundant Stratologger CF's on a K1100 to about ~2450ft , with an 808 #16 and a GoPro Hero 3 for recording purposes:

IMG_0267_zps0xhcp7a4.jpg

Sure looks a lot different then the last time I saw it at Snow Ranch. Do you know what day you plan on flying it? I'll try to get pics if I can for you.

Kyle

Sure looks a lot different then the last time I saw it at Snow Ranch. Do you know what day you plan on flying it? I'll try to get pics if I can for you.

Kyle

Yeah it definitely does lol. Did you manage to get your L1 yet?

I'm planning on flying it on the morning of Saturday, as I have Prom later that night. I'll be heading down there on Friday and prep Friday as well.
That would be awesome if you could get some photos of it!

Going for your L2 on a K1100 is a bold move. Wishing you a success flight and looking forward to seeing the Knoopster fly.

Yeah it definitely does lol. Did you manage to get your L1 yet?

I'm planning on flying it on the morning of Saturday, as I have Prom later that night. I'll be heading down there on Friday and prep Friday as well.
That would be awesome if you could get some photos of it!

I was hoping to do it this Sunday with Reno Tripoli, but it looks like the lake bed may be too wet. I'm still waiting to see if they say it is a go. If it is cancelled, I will be doing it at Dairy Aire.

I'll most likely be there Saturday morning, so I'll be sure to listen for your flight.

Kyle

What other flights do people have planned? Looks like some great flights and certs are planned.

I was trying to get my MCR Cowabunga ready but it likely won't be ready for this launch. I'll probably bring my 38mm BAR Crayon instead and fly it on either an H100 or H225, and possibly an I180 or another I on Sunday.

Once I heard about the night launch, I knew I had to have a rocket for it. The only problem is my Madcow Scooter would go to high on a CTI G80 skidmark, so I am building a crayon rocket specifically for the night launch, complete with tons of LEDs. Then my mom saw it and said she wanted one, so now I am building two crayons! Other then the two crayons it will be my Madcow Scooter, my Madcow Tomach for my L1, and a few low power that my mom and sister will be launching.

Once I heard about the night launch, I knew I had to have a rocket for it. The only problem is my Madcow Scooter would go to high on a CTI G80 skidmark, so I am building a crayon rocket specifically for the night launch, complete with tons of LEDs. Then my mom saw it and said she wanted one, so now I am building two crayons! Other then the two crayons it will be my Madcow Scooter, my Madcow Tomach for my L1, and a few low power that my mom and sister will be launching.

Sounds good, the crayon should be perfect for a night launch. I'm planning to fly my LED covered Partizon at the night launch, on a G106 Skid, possibly followed by an H133 Blue if all goes well...

That shirt is so cool I ordered 2.... can't wait to see them in person. See you all there.

I'm starting to prep for this weekend's launch... taken down the rockets I'm planning to fly....

IMG_0293.jpg

Friday: (weather permitting)
RW - Rouge - "BAZINGA!" - J401FJ
WM - Punisher - "Fury" - I327DM
WM - AAD 98 - K456DM
RW - X-celerator - K540M
Saturday:
RW Broken Arrow XP - L900DM
WM Two Stage Wildman Jr - "Wild Ride" - I357T x2
RW G3 - night flight - J340M

What was the field like last month, David? Assuming you were there for the monthly.
"Weather permitting" seemed ominous so I ran a quick weather search...a thunderstorm on Friday???:y:
Saturday winds predicted up to 14mph??? :y::y:

I'm planning to be there early Friday morning, launching some some test flights, spending the night at the Holiday Inn, and putting up a cert flight on Saturday with wind gusts predicted of 13-14 mph. Hopefully things won't be too "interesting".

Back