Whack Wocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddyisabar

Oddroc scum. Mindsimmer.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, you some kind of wise guy trying to launch that whack rocket? You going to launch it down by the river wearing concrete fins? Who ya gonna whack with that rack?:bangbang:

Like hustling pool, is it a tight or loose rack?

If you get a pad assignment between two Maxi Alphas we will play “Stuck in the middle with you” when you hook it up.:cool:

If parts get burned you just get Ma’s knife and hack them off. Just like when you hit the deer with the car and what do you call it??? Its little PAW gets stuck in the grill.:happydeer:

OOP's! I put in a D 11 P for motor number five and that dirty rat that just happened to be in the collapsible viewing lounge on top of the wocket is no longer with us. That whack wocket just core sampled out in the middle of the tall corn field. Hey Pauly, get a shovel! Hey you, oddroc guy with the pods, yeah I’m talkin’ to you! You come out with us and help dig it out, Kapish? :y:

It will be in all the papers. Dirty rat killed while flying Large and Dangerous Whacked Wocket . . . Forgettaboutit!:kill:

I hope there are no Antiracketeering Statutes in place.:gavel: Pad Fuehrer is a law and order kind of guy, a real Bobby Kennedy G man. Hey, the Pad Fuehrer looks like that guy we know . . . you know “that guy!”

Hey little Petey, get me a cocktail with lots of ice. You brought lots of ice, right?

Quotes to put on the fins/body tube/ whacky ring fins:

"Forgettaboutit!
Say hello to my little friend!
You think I’m a funny guy?
You dirty rat!
I am the Guns of Navarone!
Zed’s dead baby, Zed’s dead.
Love you Honey Bunny.
I would have settled for Taster’s Choice.:caffeine:
Mr. Pink (on pink fin)
Hoffa’s last ride.
You talkin’ to me?
He was just kinda funny lookin’."

Four D12 0 and one D12 5 or 7. 14 oz. takeoff weight. CG just behind motor#5 with just short of 2 oz. nose weight. 4FNC but it is a no good, stinkin’ rack rocket! At least it doesn’t have stinkin’ tractor motors or pods without fins. I know the Pad Fuehrer likes gangster movies! Hopefully it can fly.

Poplar dowels from hardware store, reinforced 24mm tube, papered fins, ring fins reinforced with a soaking of CA, external Kevlar mount.

If it is horizontal and land snaking on the third motor somebody is a gonna get whacked!

Rack 2.jpgRack 1.jpgRack 3.jpgRack 4.jpgRack 5.jpg

Trying to wrap my brain around this one. Unless I'm totally misreading this, it's a 5-stager that spits spent motors out the back. What keeps the dowels from being torched by motor #4?

Trying to wrap my brain around this one. Unless I'm totally misreading this, it's a 5-stager that spits spent motors out the back. What keeps the dowels from being torched by motor #4?

Nice thick poplar dowels coated with CA then some nice thick engine paint. NOTHING keeps motor #4 (and 2 and 3 and 5) from putting a bit of ancillary burn on them! On my Beech Staggerwing and other drag tail airplane rockets I shaped the fins with fire while in flight - a good thing! I usually go up to the RSO and do a big Hulk Hogan flex and say "Feel The Burn!" Nothing is directly in the line of the flame. If you want you can just scrape off the burned bits and fly again. It is just a stinking rack rocket so it is not going to live forever, but who does?

Last edited:
Flew the Whack wocket today and I shouldda listened when mama told me to stay clear of the racketeers. There was a very light wind and it weather cocked a bit off the rod, the second stage lit and a bit more weather cock, the third stage lit and a bit more weather cock and then it arced to horizontal, fourth stage lit and she started down under power, fifth stage lit and she power pranged. A guy recovering his rocket way out in the field was closest and said the delay smoke shot up and then the ejection charge blew the fifth motor back as well. Fortunately no fire, but I got a good scare when I saw the delay smoke rising. Recovered all the bits and began the long hard walk back after a hefty run. So, if any body out there ever has a notion to fly a stinkin' rack rocket like this I would say it could use a little less fin than mine, no paint - the burn was not that bad, keep the weight to an absolute minimum, 14 OZ will go up but it is too heavy, more like 11 to give it the power to stay straight, and absolutely calm conditions. I was a bit too concerned with stability and made it too heavy. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. So I got pinched and hopefully won't get whacked in the big house, just have to keep my nose clean and my mouth shut. Time to play the Piano Exit.

Yo! Dats whack!

Nothing like going horizontal with another 6 seconds of thrust to go! WHACK!!!

Well, this is one of your few rockets that is definitely OVERSTABLE!

Seems like going taller/longer with less finage (putting all those motors as far forward as possible should really help your stability issue, not sure how much weight/mass the longer dowels will cost you.) Will save weight/drag on reducing the finnage (ring fins were cool but redundant and draggy---- then again cool factor is your stock in trade......!)

Tube/ring fins might also really help you (in leiu of rather than in addition to standard fins) as they are less prone to weathercock.

Not sure if longer dowels presents increase risk the "used" engines will manage to slide out the back. As the dowels get barbecued, might prevent smooth sliding out of the middle engines.

Carbon fiber rods might be more heat resistant. Was thinking of coat hanger wire, but that might be considered shaky in terms of NAR safety issues use metal in the rocket
"1.Materials. I will use only lightweight, non-metal parts for the nose, body, and fins of my rocket." https://www.nar.org/safety-information/model-rocket-safety-code/

Looking forward to "Whack II"

The burn was not that bad on the dowels and even on the close in part of the ring fins. All the motors lit and ejected out the back nicely. The top men at the club doubt if even five taped D 12 motors with just the casings for support would fly.

Back