For Jimi Hendrix fans...........

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One could say I'm a Jimi Hendrix fan.
Pretty good,I never heard of Randy.

purple haze.jpg

One could say I'm a Jimi Hendrix fan.
Pretty good,I never heard of Randy.

Sounds like him...plays like him.
If you like the Jimi Hendrix Electric Lady Land album and the extended song 1983, Randy played it live.
Not sure Hendrix ever did that one live. Epic.
[video=youtube;0EyIrDgYn8E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EyIrDgYn8E[/video]

Wow! That was great!

And as long as he asked, yes, I am experireinced and I have been experienced. And one thing I can say for sure is, if I were right in the middle of being experienced, that dude's teeth would freak me the heck right out! Yikes!

Would be awesome to see him play live!

In the first video (Are you Experienced) I like how he does the Bolero thing at 03:20 ('ala Joe Walsh-James Gang "The Bomber") and later Beatles Lucy in the Sky/Dear Prudence at 06:38.

Last edited:
I think I saw him at the EMP museum in Seattle about 2 years ago. I actually can't say for sure, because I was just at the museum to see the awesome Jimi Hendrix exhibit, and I didn't even know there would be live music. I started hearing music and wandered into the concert space without knowing who was playing, but whoever it was was dressed a lot like this guy and was really really good! He played some Hendrix but also a lot of other blues guitar. At some point he brought out a kid who was maybe 14 years old who was also just an awesome blues guitarist. I gather the EMP does a lot to foster and grow young musicians and this was one of the proteges.

The EMP museum is a great place, and the Hendrix exhibit is really good. They had a fantastic Nirvana exhibit, and I also enjoyed the Women in Rock exhibit. They also have some other pop culture exhibits, like a sci-fi hall of fame and an fantasy exhibit. I didn't go into the one devoted to horror. If you are ever in Seattle, I highly recommend it.

Then there's this group:

[video=youtube;AqZceAQSJvc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqZceAQSJvc[/video]

Then there's this group:

[video=youtube;AqZceAQSJvc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqZceAQSJvc[/video]

Another favorite....that one.
And to hear he was backstage and hopped up on mesc at the time, and was called to play ...and played that historic performance...well, kudos to Carlos.
I read that the Woodstock promoters were looking to fill out the bill and asked Bill Graham to get the Grateful dead...he did, on the condition they took another band from his management list of SF bands...he gave two names of the newer bands on the SF scene, It's a Beautiful Day, and Santana.
The promoters listened to the tapes, and couldn't decide...so they flipped a coin....and chose Santana. And, the rest, as they say, is history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_a_Beautiful_Day

Last edited:
And to hear he was backstage and hopped up on mesc at the time, and was called to play ...and played that historic performance...well, kudos to Carlos.
I read that the Woodstock promoters were looking to fill out the bill and asked Bill Graham to suggest some SF bands...he gave two names of the newer bands on the SF scene, It's a Beautiful Day, and Santana.
The promoters listened to the tapes, and chose Santana. And, the rest, as they say, is history.

And of course their keyboard player, Gregg Rolie, went on to found and be the lead singer of another SF band called Journey.

What you might not know about Jimi Hendrix…

- He voluntarily enlisted in the Army, and was honorably discharged after only one year of service.
- Left handed Hendrix played his (standard right-handed) Stratocaster Upside-Down.

jimi-hendrix.jpg

Great stuff! Molly and I both love Hendrix. Molly named her L1 build Purple Haze.

Molly's Purple Haze.JPG

- He voluntarily enlisted in the Army, and was honorably discharged after only one year of service.
- Left handed Hendrix played his (standard right-handed) Stratocaster Upside-Down.
Interesting stuff.
I have a book on all of Hendrix's guitars and their whereabouts, including the pieces of the ones he smashed.
He did have at least one Strat designed and set up for a lefty - a sunburst that did not need to be restrung.
Oddly enough....never played it in a concert.

Seen him with flying Vs, but did not know he had a Gibson SG or Les Paul.

I read that the Woodstock promoters were looking to fill out the bill and asked Bill Graham to get the Grateful dead...he did, on the condition they took another band from his management list of SF bands...he gave two names of the newer bands on the SF scene, It's a Beautiful Day, and Santana.
The promoters listened to the tapes, and couldn't decide...so they flipped a coin....and chose Santana. And, the rest, as they say, is history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_a_Beautiful_Day
Interesting. Didn't know that. Keyword searches based upon that info allowed me to find this interesting trivia about Woodstock:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066580/trivia

"Santana was supposed to go on later on the evening of day two but due to all the delays the band was forced to go on much earlier. However, Carlos Santana had taken a dose of mescaline and was still peaking when the band was performing. As a result, he imagined that the neck of his guitar had become a snake and was moving."

Didn't know this amazing fact about this famous song:

Richie Havens' song "Freedom" was totally improvised. He was called for so many encores that he ran out of songs to sing, so he just picked up his guitar and started singing "Freedom".

[video=youtube;W5aPBU34Fyk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5aPBU34Fyk[/video]

EDIT: Another act that was invited to play the festival but declined was Led Zeppelin. Instead, they played a concert that same weekend not too far away from the site in New Jersey.

Last edited:

Scott! I didn't know you were a Rock N' Roll enthusiast too! ;)

Interesting stuff.
I have a book on all of Hendrix's guitars and their whereabouts, including the pieces of the ones he smashed.
He did have at least one Strat designed and set up for a lefty - a sunburst that did not need to be restrung.
Oddly enough....never played it in a concert.

Seen him with flying Vs, but did not know he had a Gibson SG or Les Paul.

Ah yes the Gibson Flying V....Stunning looks but, sucky tone. (Most *pointy* guitars leave much to desire when it comes to rich warm tones/sustain.)

View attachment 260577

Here's some photos of the rare times in the later part of his career when he played the SG and, Les Paul...

View attachment 260578
View attachment 260579

Having owned a few Strats and, an SG (they both are worlds apart). I'm glad he did the bulk of his work with the Fender...such a beautiful sounding guitar over all aspects of the musical scale. Just choose your wood and, let the beast sing! Thanks for the video MaxQ! (BIG Hendrix fan here.) Hate too say it to but, i also did not know about Randy Hansen....Awesome tripping, channeling effect...Whoooooooa!:surprised:

Santana- A true legend of a musician who is not afraid to cover up his mistakes and, miscues when he records...(Just listen closely for them in his latest stuff, you'll find it.)

I blame The Eagles for putting out "The Long Run" which is/was the most surgically perfect recording of its time for all this perfection crap that you hear nowdays...So clean it hurts too listen to.:tongue:

Interesting. Didn't know that. Keyword searches based upon that info allowed me to find this interesting trivia about Woodstock:

"Santana was supposed to go on later on the evening of day two but due to all the delays the band was forced to go on much earlier. However, Carlos Santana had taken a dose of mescaline and was still peaking when the band was performing. As a result, he imagined that the neck of his guitar had become a snake and was moving."

Didn't know this amazing fact about this famous song:

Richie Havens' song "Freedom" was totally improvised. He was called for so many encores that he ran out of songs to sing, so he just picked up his guitar and started singing "Freedom".

EDIT: Another act that was invited to play the festival but declined was Led Zeppelin. Instead, they played a concert that same weekend not too far away from the site in New Jersey.

Another group that was on the original Woodstock billing was The Moody Blues, but when Wallkill cancelled the festival, they had to decline performing at the new venue.
https://www.woodstockstory.com/images/gallery/original-woodstock-wallkill-poster.jpg

The Doors had too many legal issues at the time, given Jim Morrison's infamous Florida concert problems.
Iron Butterfly never made it to the concert.....transportation issues. Not sure what happened to the Jeff Beck group.....

Having owned a few Strats and, an SG (they both are worlds apart). I'm glad he did the bulk of his work with the Fender...such a beautiful sounding guitar over all aspects of the musical scale. Just choose your wood and, let the beast sing! Thanks for the video MaxQ! (BIG Hendrix fan here.) Hate too say it to but, i also did not know about Randy Hansen....Awesome tripping, channeling effect...Whoooooooa!:surprised:

Only too happy to post the vid for Hendrix fans...
Some folks don't like "cover bands" .....and some are not too good.
But I think Randy Hansen is keeping the spirit alive, and adds his own style and life to the tunes.

For the Santana fans that want the full Michael Shrieve drum solo on Soul Scrifice...here is the extended cut:

[video=youtube;xBG6IaSQCpU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBG6IaSQCpU[/video]

Having owned a few Strats and, an SG (they both are worlds apart). I'm glad he did the bulk of his work with the Fender...such a beautiful sounding guitar over all aspects of the musical scale. Just choose your wood and, let the beast sing! Thanks for the video MaxQ! (BIG Hendrix fan here.) Hate too say it to but, i also did not know about Randy Hansen....Awesome tripping, channeling effect...Whoooooooa!:surprised::

Being a real sucker for the sound of an electric guitar, especially the Stratocaster, and good special effects....I think the Mermen (band name taken from the Jimi Hendrix tune "1983" and the fact they really do surf) ) are one group I'd actually pay to see.

Jim Thomas plays guitar like I wish I could...but he is a tad scary looking, like Col. Kurtz from Apocalypse now.....
Nice but slow build up, ...then cuts loose with those balsy surf licks at 02:08....;)
[video=youtube;bHRrQTCmru8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHRrQTCmru8[/video]

Last edited:
This one called "Whales" is slow paced, but ethereal, reminds me of the early days of Pink Floyd (Umma Gumma, A Saucerful of Secrets) ...for you volume pedal fans out there.

[video=youtube;y_6bjhCS51M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_6bjhCS51M[/video]

...and another slow, drenched in reverb tune (at 02:27 & 04:44) "Dancing in Her Sleep :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IITr3jEh0KE

Last edited:
That is the night I was privileged to see Jimi in concert at the Band Shell at Waikiki beach park. I graduated from Navy boot camp in San Diego in April and had been sent to Hawaii to wait for my ship to return from a WestPac cruise. I can't remember how I got a ticket but my roommate and I rode the bus from the base to the park. It was my first "real" Rock Concert. It was amazing and I was a fan from that time on.

Friday night he had stopped his concert due to sound problems and told everyone to keep their tickets so they could attend the Sunday concert. A friend had been to the Friday concert and offered me his ticket as he had duty on Sunday. By Sunday I didn't have enough money for bus fare, base pay was only $125.00 per month and I was sending $50 home for a car payment, so I couldn't go.

That is the night I was privileged to see Jimi in concert at the Band Shell at Waikiki beach park. I graduated from Navy boot camp in San Diego in April and had been sent to Hawaii to wait for my ship to return from a WestPac cruise. I can't remember how I got a ticket but my roommate and I rode the bus from the base to the park. It was my first "real" Rock Concert. It was amazing and I was a fan from that time on.

Friday night he had stopped his concert due to sound problems and told everyone to keep their tickets so they could attend the Sunday concert. A friend had been to the Friday concert and offered me his ticket as he had duty on Sunday. By Sunday I didn't have enough money for bus fare, base pay was only $125.00 per month and I was sending $50 home for a car payment, so I couldn't go.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-.../1969/waikiki-shell-honolulu-hi-33ddcc29.html

Back