Double Motor Adapters?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
So I have an upscale that I was considering doing as a 38mm. Then I realized I could easily do it as a 54mm. I've speced it out to be capable of running on 29mm.

Originally I wanted to run 38mm with a 29mm adapter. The 54mm is just so tempting. Is it feasible to adapt the 54mm to 38mm then adapt the 38mm to 29mm? Or am I trying to stack too much into it?

Better to build a 54 to 29 adapter. Just a few CR's and an MMT.

With Aeropacks you certainly can do 54-38 and then 38-29. A 54-29 also works well though.

I could build a 54/29 adapter. I already need a 54/38 and a 38/29. Was just trying to avoid building another. But might not hurt to have it around.

If you have the Aeropac adapters (like me) you can nest the 24mm into the 29mm, then into the 38mm, then into the 54mm, without any problem SO if your 24mm motor has enough go, you can use it to launch a 54mm rocket. I've done the 29 to 38 to 54 for my PML Thethys. I also have to add that this only works with an Aeropac retainer (or very similar).
However, the adapters are pricey, and very nicely made, so it comes down to what you feel comfortable doing.

Adrian

Aeropack is what I was planning to get.

It won't work with slimline retainers?

Not sure, I don't have any and haven't really seen any up close. Each adapter has a extra plate that covers the adapter (or motor case) that the retainer cap presses against to retain the motor. Maybe a email to Aeropac?

Adrian

Not sure, I don't have any and haven't really seen any up close. Each adapter has a extra plate that covers the adapter (or motor case) that the retainer cap presses against to retain the motor. Maybe a email to Aeropac?

Adrian

I could build a 54/29 adapter. I already need a 54/38 and a 38/29. Was just trying to avoid building another. But might not hurt to have it around.

Aeropack 54-38 then 38-29 will definitely work. I really like the aeropack adapters and have flown the 54-38 once and the 38-29 many (8+) times and they work great.

To be honest if its light enough to fly on a 29 a 54 is going to take it out of sight.

2007-02-10+NEFAR+Launch+425.jpg

For the flight above, I used a 29mm to 38mm motor adapter with a Slimline retainer in a 38mm to 54mm adapter with a Slimline retainer in a 54mm motor mount with a Slimline retainer. It looked sort of like it had a boat tail.

-- Roger

To be honest if its light enough to fly on a 29 a 54 is going to take it out of sight.

That's kinda the idea. It's a 3" rocket. 54mm MMT. Very light. Very stable. Dual deploy. Capable of 800' to 10k'. Low and slow or out of sight.

Unless some rule I am unaware of says otherwise, this rocket will be my l1 and l2 cert rocket. Scratch build upscale. Haven't seen anything saying I have to build a separate rocket for my l2. Just has to be built by me.

I flew my same rocket for L1 and L2 but it got hard to spot on 3 grain 54s 10k with a 3" rocket is going to be tough to track and recover. But I totally understand shoving a big motor in there an letting it rip.

Here's a 29-54mm adapter I made. The reason I made an adapter versus going with the Aeropac adapters, is I did not want black powder residue from the 29mm motors to foul up my 54mm motor mount. My adapter is the same length as my motor mount. Here's a pic of my adapter:

And installed:

Back