MPR Rocket Caddy - Build Thread - Carry 17 rockets with one hand (Now with pics!)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

75Grandville

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So, last club (UROC) launch I went to, someone had an awesome rocket caddy.

IMG_0810.jpg

Capacity was 7 rockets of a diameter up to 3", plus up to another 10 with a 24mm motor mount. That person was gracious enough to allow me to photograph it for the purpose of reproducing it. (It was someone I hadn't met before or since, and since I have no idea how this person would feel about being featured on our forum, I will keep them anonymous unless they request otherwise.)

Materials:
  • 3 x 10' Lengths of 1/2" PVC Pipe
  • 10 x 1/2" cross fittings
  • 16 x 1/2" 90 degree elbow fittings
  • 18 x 1/2" Tee fittings
  • 1 x 6' length of 1/2" pipe insulation
  • PVC Cement (Optional)

I came home and fired up the power miter box. Looking back, I think clamping a stop would have made some of the repetitive cuts a lot easier.

Cut list:
  • 48 x 4"
  • 4 x 3-1/2" (Mark these and keep separate from the 4" pieces)
  • 4 x 12"
  • 2 x 31-1/2"

IMG_0818.jpg

At this point, some assembly is required. The 3-1/2" pieces go at the top, and connect to the handles.

IMG_0894.jpgIMG_0893.jpg

The last step was adding pieces of pipe insulation to the rocket-holding segments. I was discussing the design with the original builder, and they mentioned that there was a problem with rockets sliding back and forth. The insulation should stop the sliding, and further should protect from scratches.

IMG_0896.jpgIMG_0895.jpg

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the results. It's a little bit too long for my King Kraken to fit - I may make some modifications to accommodate it, or I may just leave it out. There's still room for the Darkstar Jr that I've been working on for a few months.

IMG_0897.jpgIMG_0898.jpg

I haven't glued the bits together yet. It seems to be holding together fine. I may do the bits on the bottom - I worry about them pulling apart.

Will report after next launch - should be in less than two weeks!

Last edited:
How tall is it? I have an SUV and would like to make one of these for LDRS but it would stink if it couldn't fit...

Back