Launch Tower Design

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
I just finished designing a launch tower for my 38mm MD rocket that I am building. Does anyone see any problems with this?

I am

There is 0.02" of clearance between the body tube and the launch guides.

These were designed in SolidWorks 2014.

Tower.PNG

I just finished designing a launch tower for my 38mm MD rocket that I am building. Does anyone see any problems with this?

I am

There is 0.02" of clearance between the body tube and the launch guides.

These were designed in SolidWorks 2014.
Matt- Looks good as long as there is no twist on boost to hook a fin. That is predominately the reason for outside braced ring or triangular bracing bolted to the pipes from the backside. Looks interesting-PVC?

That is the plan. Should I add 2 PVC guides on each side of the fin?

That is the plan. Should I add 2 PVC guides on each side of the fin?

Or just open up the main supporting pieces on the tower and eliminate the problem all together. With that being said I think it is very unlikely that the vehicle would spin enough to cause any problem in the short amount of time in the tower.

Or just open up the main supporting pieces on the tower and eliminate the problem all together. With that being said I think it is very unlikely that the vehicle would spin enough to cause any problem in the short amount of time in the tower.

I agree that opening up the supports is the best solution. I also agree it is unlikely the rocket will spin enough in the tower to have an issue, but I also believe that it will happen. Sooner or later it will spin enough that a fin would hit the supports. That means that all the fins will hit the supports. It may be the first flight, or the fiftieth flight, but it will happen at some point. That is why Murphy is still around.

I agree that opening up the supports is the best solution. I also agree it is unlikely the rocket will spin enough in the tower to have an issue, but I also believe that it will happen. Sooner or later it will spin enough that a fin would hit the supports. That means that all the fins will hit the supports. It may be the first flight, or the fiftieth flight, but it will happen at some point. That is why Murphy is still around.

I tend to agree.

Back