L3 build - 8 inch Madcow Pike

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice looking. Is that the same color as the 5" Pike? It looks more of a copper color, or will the clear coat change that? It will be a great flight.

it is the same color, the clear coat makes a big difference in how it looks and photographs.

Its a great looking rocket no matter how the color turns. How are you going to carry such a large project to the pad? You got a least 1 fine helper there.

Man did that thing come out gorgeous Robert..
It's going to fly just spectacularly....
I only wish I could be there to see the flight....

Teddy

Wow! Very nice as always. Good luck on the L3 flight. I look forward to seeing this one in local skies down the road.

I want to thank everyone for the encouragement while I built this beast. It is being clear coated over my decals today. I will post pictures of the finished product and then this thread is finished. I plan to start a thread on my Balls road trip as a first timer and my L3 cert flight.

Last edited:
Please don't let me miss this thread Robert,, lol...
I'd LOVE to follow this ...

Teddy

Man did that thing come out gorgeous Robert....
I sure am sorry I'm going to miss this flight...

Teddy

Wow did that rocket turn out nice. Stunning. Very, very nice. Good luck on your trip and your upcoming L-3 Cert flight.

Robert, can you share the paint code for that color?

I haven't decided the best place for a thread on the Balls trip ( 5 more weeks ) yet so I will just continue on here for now. I am off on Fridays and that is when I get the most done on the rocket, yesterday I re-tapped the holes for shear pins and cleaned a little over spray that got past the masking. I also re-mounted the switches in the av-bay that were removed for painting. I let the clear coat set an entire week before I did anything to it but now I see a few spots that will need wet sanding and polishing to make it perfect. The bulk of the time on Friday was spent packing and un-packing all of the recovery gear to review and add to my check lists. I left the chutes out hanging in the guest room for now to air and get the wrinkles out.

I picked up my motor from PyroBob on Friday. It was great service and price and Robert Watson was willing to go the extra mile to make sure I had it in time. It was the only thing this project was missing, 8 lbs. of motivation.

Man,, I'm getting excited for this flight...
This flight is going to be epic...
I can't wait to see the pic's Robert...
All the best of luck....

Start a countdown to launch day,,, lol...

Teddy

The rocket is done, down to getting ready for the road trip to Balls. I have been busy writing checklists and packing and writing checklists of what to pack, it seems endless. At night I alternate between flying the Pike and packing in my mind, I need to pull the trigger on this thing soon. After the cert flight I will add to the GPS in the nose. I have 3 boards for the small satellites for student payloads to assemble and the av-bay will get an overhaul. I went with what I trusted and adapted the sled from the 5.5 Pike but this 18"x8" screams for a couple of Go-Pro's and a multi-level arrangement. The motor mount is 4" x 45" so much more motor is possible. I have already purchased a 98mm/7680 case for some more options.

pike0224.jpgpike0216.jpgpike0219.jpgpike0218.jpgpike0217.jpg
A little wet sanding and waxing, needs some clean-up in the seams. I will start a new thread when I get to Balls since most of what I photograph will not be mine and I will put the results and pictures of my flight here.

Here it comes Robert...
Savor every moment...
All is going to go perfectly,,,
You will remember this forever...

Teddy

Back