L3 build - 8 inch Madcow Pike

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertv2

Reaction score
The last of the kit parts arrives today so expect dry fit pictures soon. I still need finalize some parts for mods with UpscaleCNC and order some hardware before building starts. A few stats: 142 inches tall and 8.0 inch diameter, 98mm motor mount.

Last edited:
Did they send you the outfit to pose in too? If so I will wait for the second flight to see it go up.

This is going to be great rocket when done. Where do you plan on flying this beast? I could definately see road tripping to Asa to see that one go up.

No outfit, don't worry. I am planning on Asa for several reasons including Marlin's help and massive launch tower.

I got to see Gloria from AMW send her's up for her L3. Awesome rocket!
DSC01582.JPG

I would be interested in any details on the flight and build.

Flight was on an O3400 to 14,900 feet @ 810mph. she documented the build somewhere but I can't find it...
here is another pic I got.
DSC01558.JPG

Last edited:
It was on FB someplace but I can't find it either. email rob he may have it someplace...

Details please! I am building the 5.5 in. version.

I am having problems with posting pictures that I will sort out later.

Almost forgot about that picture. Can't wait to see how the build turns out!

I am working on the rocksim file with actual weights . Still some custom parts and hardware to add in and with no allowance for adhesives and the empty weight is over 1000 oz. Dry fit pictures coming on Saturday.

Capture.jpg

While I was taking the dry fit pictures I had few of the neighborhood kids tell me they had sisters or cats that want to be astronauts. I guess this thing looks really big if you are five. Progress report: I met with one advisor and sent a "snapshot " of my documentation to my TAPs this week-end. I am waiting on some hardware and custom parts before construction really begins.

Tomorrow I will start marking hole locations an making a fin alignment jig. Still waiting on some parts but lots to keep me busy.

I spent Friday hand sanding and fitting parts, nothing that lends itself to interesting pictures but it was very satisfying. Also started marking hole locations and laying out the fin jig plan on paper to be transferred to plywood. The assembly starts next Friday and I will post pictures then.

Not exactly a build update but I made hotel reservations and mailed a check for Balls 24. I am planning my L3 flight at Black Rock, about as good as it gets. Parts I was waiting on are on the way, expect progress this week-end.

IMG_1018.jpgIMG_1024.jpgIMG_1019.jpgIMG_1021.jpgIMG_1028.jpgIMG_1022.jpgIMG_1027.jpgIMG_1032.jpg

Some of the parts from Nat at UpscaleCNC , a 1/2 inch plywood anchor ring for the thrust plate, the interlocking rings and strakes to form pockets around the fin tabs, pre-drilled bulkheads for the tracker bay in the nose, and a 1/2" plywood ring paired with a FG ring and twin 3/8" U-bolts. The stakes need some hand fitting and some holes to lighten them. This is going to take a lot of measuring and test fitting. The holes in the rings will allow an inspection camera to examine fillets and allow me to foam the fin can when I am ready.

Last edited:
Not exactly a build update but I made hotel reservations and mailed a check for Balls 24. I am planning my L3 flight at Black Rock, about as good as it gets. Parts I was waiting on are on the way, expect progress this week-end.

So...Very...Jealous!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back