L3 build - 8 inch Madcow Pike

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang! That 75mm hardware looks like a 54 or even 38 compared to that rocket!

It is strange to see the big 75mm/6400 hardware and think that if I keep the rocket on a diet it might be enough for a first flight. I am fairly sure it will need more power.

It is strange to see the big 75mm/6400 hardware and think that if I keep the rocket on a diet it might be enough for a first flight. I am fairly sure it will need more power.

Why? a Loki 76/6000 M2550 Blue has 3000 Ns initial thrust and stays above the 2550 average for the first 1.8 seconds or so of the burn. At 5:1 ratio you should be good for up to 130 lb rocket.

Is there a minimum speed or altitude you're looking for?

Why? a Loki 76/6000 M2550 Blue has 3000 Ns initial thrust and stays above the 2550 average for the first 1.8 seconds or so of the burn. At 5:1 ratio you should be good for up to 130 lb rocket.

Is there a minimum speed or altitude you're looking for?

I haven't looked at Loki. I will have an accurate weight soon, for now I am estimating 85 lbs all up . My goal for the first flight is about 5:1 thrust to weight and about 4000 ft. altitude

Last edited:
I have given it a lot of thought and decided not foam fill the fin can. That is nearly one cubic foot of space and as I think about it because of the fin pockets the foam will not touch anything that could possibly move anyway. Another weight saving change is instead of using Pro-line 4500 for the fillets I made small fillets with Aeropoxy and I will go back with Aeropoxy light so it is lighter and easier to sand.

I haven't looked at Loki. I will have an accurate weight soon, for now I am estimating 85 lbs all up . My goal for the first flight is about 5:1 thrust to weight and about 4000 ft. altitude

OK, you can get the 5:1 thrust with 75mm motors, but getting 4,000 ft with a 85 lb rocket, that's another issue. Sounds like a 98 is what you need for that.

Good luck! :headbang:

I have a " best guess " of weight and CG that I keep refining in my mind and I looking at sims for a range of weights, but I am only a week or two more of airframe construction away from a final answer. On two past builds I have had to reorder motors and parachutes that I bought before I started and at this pay grade you need to right the first time. When I post pictures this week-end they are not fittings, the bottom end is finished and after some hole drilling I will be on the av-bay.

I am close to a final weight on the Pike, complete except for a sled in the av-bay it weighs 65 lbs. The 40 inch FW nose with coupler, bulkheads and tracker bay is 12.6 lbs of the total. If the rain ever stops I will post some pictures next to the house and truck for scale. I have a lot of holes to drill and I am waiting on a pair jaw stands I ordered to start on them, then on to electronics.

It rained every time I had a few minutes so I didn't get pictures, I will soon. I did get a Fruity Chute 144 " Ultra-Iris chute and deployment bag ordered. I also ordered Y harnesses for all the twin eye-bolt connection points. I have a custom 36" sky angle drogue and a pair of One bad hawk shock cords, the only recovery gear I am missing is a pilot chute. I use a 30" TFR Crossfire as a pilot and I am planning on a 48" Crossfire on this beast.

Robert Watson aka Pyrobob at buyrocketmotors.com came thru with a good price on a 75mm/7680 case, I will order a M1850 reload when it gets a little closer to Balls24.

Fillets get sanded on Friday and I have holes to drill. When the chutes get here I want to ground test before I make it too pretty. Then it is on to the av-bay.

I can't even imagine having a rocket that big!

Okay, that came off really weird.... :facepalm:

Awesome job.

Looking great so far! Can't wait to see it completed and flying. :)

Thanks, I appreciate that. I got the fillets sanded and holes drilled and tapped for four #4 screws as shear pins at both ends. More pictures soon.

Looking great so far! Can't wait to see it completed and flying. :)

DSCF7744.jpg
This is my 5.5 Pike, would I be in a rut to paint the 8 inch Pike the same color ?

DSCF7736.jpg

Last edited:
Full disclosure - The 5.5 Pike was the second rocket I painted that color, this is Almost too Pretty to Fly a 4"Frenzy.

av-bay029.jpgav-bay030.jpgav-bay031.jpgIMG_4178.jpg

This is the av-bay from the 5.5 Pike, I am going to adapt it to the 8 inch and use it for the cert flight. I have 5 successful flights just the way it is and 6 more with an earlier version using these two in a 4 inch frenzy. I trust it and would not have a way to test fly a new 8 inch setup. Last picture is hole pattern for lids to finish tonight.

pike0092.jpgpike0093.jpgpike0097.jpgpike0096.jpgpike0099.jpg

fillets about 90 % done I will finish when prepping for paint. shear pins and other holes drilled.

pike0106.jpgpike0100.jpgIMG_1359.jpgpike0103.jpgpike0102.jpg

Last edited:
Back